Linn the Protector and The seven Daughters of Ran MAGS Aug 2015

Started by Grok, Tue 25/08/2015 18:51:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

Linn, hand maiden of Lady Frigg, must protect Eric - the son of the Jarl of North Anglia-, from being drowned by the seven daughters of Ran.
And then she must face Ran herself.

Entry to MAGS august 2015 - theme; Drowning MAGS thread

Download as zip-file ZIP LINK
Download as setup file with installer INSTALLER LINK

SilverSpook

Awesome art here, really dig the watercolor style.  Must've taken ages!  Hope you don't mind if I post this Let's Play here, me and the Mrs. had a ton of fun with Linn and Ran's Daughters!

[embed=960,720]http://youtu.be/piIaA--D-Ds[/embed]

Grok

Quote from: SilverSpook on Mon 31/08/2015 11:03:11
Awesome art here, really dig the watercolor style.  Must've taken ages!  Hope you don't mind if I post this Let's Play here, me and the Mrs. had a ton of fun with Linn and Ran's Daughters!

----

Thank you for the nice words on the art! And no it doesn't take me a long time to make art. I'm actually pretty quick. Digital art is such a time saver.
I don't mind the "Let's Play" at all. Quite the opposite.

The characters are from the Nordic Mythology (or Norse Mythology).

Frigg (Frigga) was the foremost goddess of the Nordic Mythology.  Wife of Oden (Odin, Wodan) and head of the Valkyries. She had a court of lesser goddesses of which Linn (Hlin) was one. These lesser goddesses each had a special area of expertise. Linn was the one Frigg sent to protect someone.

Ran was the goddess of the sea. She was a Jötun (giant - as apposed to an Aesir as Frigg or a Vanir as Freja(Freya)). Her husband was Ã,,gir. They had nine daughters each named after a different kind of wave. (9 would have been a bit much so I went down to 7, another nice magic number). One of the daughters where named Blóðughadda (bloody hair), which represents the water at a sea battle (the blood from wounded warriors falling into the water). It would take vikings to find a need for a name for that kind of wave. :)

A kenning (a poetic description) for drowning was "sleeping with Ran". Some of the riddles in the game are actual viking time riddles. 

Mandle

Just played the game and it is very nice!!!

The opening cutscene is a beauty to behold! It's like watching a superhero comic come to life!

But...
Spoiler
I feel having to hit the daughters 100 times before you win might be a slight overkill, but may be fun for hardcore reflex gamers who feel the need to beat it at the hardest level. I think the easiest setting should maybe allow you to finish it in 10 hits as anyone who chooses the easiest level is basically just saying "I want to skip this part ASAP"...
[close]

The riddle section was awesome and I would suggest:
Spoiler
How about an option of dialogue riddles or text-input answering style be given to the player...This way the casual player can look at the various riddle answers and choose one, and the hardcore riddler can try to compete without the hints provided by the dialogue structure?
[close]

Just a few ideas if you plan to expand the game later. As it stands though it is a very fun experience with a lot of beautiful art and details for the player to experience!

Cassiebsg

I'm giving up on this again, for the second time. >:(

If I can't save my progress after I defeat the daughters I really don't want to start all over again, no matter how beautiful the art is. Sorry. :(
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Grok

@Mandle Thank you. My first love is comics and I guess that might show.

Your two points are valid.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 05/09/2015 11:45:52
I'm giving up on this again, for the second time. >:(

If I can't save my progress after I defeat the daughters I really don't want to start all over again, no matter how beautiful the art is. Sorry. :(

But you can save after defeating the daughters. Before you click continue you can open the save menu with F5. The only reason the continue button is there is to give the opportunity to save.

Glad you liked the art.

Cassiebsg

Ah, thats all fine and dandy, but I just clicked continue since I had no idea I could save there...I was waiting for the normal "now here's you character, play!".
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Creamy

Congrats on the release. I haven't played the other games yet but I really like this one.
The art style is gorgeous. It reminds me of "Thorgal" which is one of my favorite comics.

A few minor criticisms :
The dialog structure make the riddles a little easy, I stand with Mandle about the inclusion of a parser.
The font is too big for my taste.

Good luck for the competition!

Grok

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk