Unable to initialize audio hardware - Windows 8

Started by Mindlink, Sun 30/08/2015 22:53:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindlink

Hi,

this error pops up with every AGS-game I've tried to run so far in Windows 8.
The game itself works fine, but every time I start it, I get the error message "Unable to initialize audio hardware Problem:Failed to init MIDI music driver".
I've tried downloading the latest version of the interpreter, but I still get the same message. Does AGS not support Windows 8 for music, and is there a workaround ?

Crimson Wizard

Does the game actually use MIDI music? If not, simply turn MIDI off in setup.

If game is using old audio functions that may cause digital music to dissapear too, because of the bug inside AGS. We are preparing an interpreter that have that bug fixed though.

That won't help for games that do use MIDI music. Probably there is an information in Internet about installing MIDI in Windows 8.

Mindlink

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 30/08/2015 23:16:47
Does the game actually use MIDI music? If not, simply turn MIDI off in setup.
§§§§§§§§
That won't help for games that do use MIDI music. Probably there is an information in Internet about installing MIDI in Windows 8.

MIDI works in other software, like in SCUMMVM for instance, and a stand-alone MIDI-player, it's only when a software tries to use the old Microsoft MIDI-mapper, which doesn't exist in 8 (nor is it possible to implement it).
So, all the existing AGS games that uses MIDI will remain silent on new systems ? Or are there plans to release a new interpreter that sidesteps the MIDI-mapper ?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mindlink on Mon 28/09/2015 08:15:38
MIDI works in other software, like in SCUMMVM for instance, and a stand-alone MIDI-player, it's only when a software tries to use the old Microsoft MIDI-mapper, which doesn't exist in 8 (nor is it possible to implement it).
So, all the existing AGS games that uses MIDI will remain silent on new systems ? Or are there plans to release a new interpreter that sidesteps the MIDI-mapper ?
This is the first time I heard about this, so there were no particular plans for updating MIDI right away.
But the issue is worth looking into.
It is possible that we will have to replace the underlying MIDI library AGS uses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk