The game doesn't accept any more sprites

Started by proximity, Sat 05/09/2015 13:31:54

Previous topic - Next topic

proximity

Quote from: cat on Tue 08/09/2015 15:11:53
I almost don't dare to say that here, but maybe AGS isn't the right engine for your project after all? *duckandrun*

I just released a game with 1280x720 resolution and several people had problems getting the game to run on their PC...

You're absolutely right, cat. Fow now, AGS isn't right engine for HD resolutions. That's why i decreased the res. to 960*540. I'm sure AGS will get better and more stable in the future.
Proximity Entertainment

cat

Great that you found a solution that works for you. Good luck with your game!

Monsieur OUXX

I think the real question raised by this thread is : should we start considering Views based on videos rather than sprites. Should we implement video  (e.g. Theora, which already aexists in AGS) with transparent color.

ollj

a workaround coud be to store sprites as bitmaps and have a struct that on demand loads bitmaps into arrays of dynamicsprite*[], and that makes objects/characters use them instead of static sprites that are always in the engines memory. the same dynamicsprite managing struct of course must also handle a .Delete() like command to free the sprite, but only if it is no longer in use by anything (visible).
of course one bitmap could store multiple frames of an animation.

for example the development of the non ags game "heart of darnkess" used more sprites than many games of its time of development. pushing hardware with little memory to its limits, praising its smart sprite-preloader, only preloading all the possible animations that could be needed soon, constantly refreshing memory between animations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk