A promotional background/title screen

Started by Mouth for war, Sat 12/09/2015 02:02:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

So I've been working damn hard on my RPG for a few months now and yesterday, I had an idea to make a background I could use when I'll be announcing the game on various forums etc. What do you think about it? :)

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

vertigoaddict

It looks cool, but I personally feel the thunder strike should be taken out, I feel like it's a bit distracting and doesn't add much to the atmosphere, rather it takes away from it. the title "Earth : Anarchy" should have less transparency, I love the effect and, I use it a lot myself, but I feel it would be more beneficial to have it more opaque when it comes to this image.
Other than that, maybe raise the contrast (or hue) a smidge, I get that you may be trying to give it a dreary, post-apocalyptic feel, but if you made the orange and blue colours a little more apparent it could subconciously please the eye and attract people more; it's something Hollywood usually falls back into when they make their posters, you'll see it often in the actual movies themselves too.

Sometimes it's just more one or the other (orange or blue, but contemporary movie posters tend to utilise both).
That being said, some people have caught up to it and find it utterly annoying, but you've already made use of orange and blue here, so why not?

Mouth for war

Thanks! you have good points. I will fiddle with it some more :-D

Ghost

I think you should add some highlight/rimlight to the shadowy figure in the foreground. It stands in a very dark place already and is almost swallowed by the surrounding shadows. Even the goddamn Batman is never fully black :D

Mouth for war

Here's an update, with a little light in the figure area as well ;D didn't remove lightning though...I haven't decided yet hehe

Mouth for war

and the latest...I think this is the best so far! :)

Mouth for war

Ok this is my last version I think! I don't know what more to do with this :)

SilverSpook

If you're going to have a lightning flash in there, you've got to put a bit more glow / illumination around it.  Lightning is like God's Kodak camera flash.  At least the clouds around the bolt itself should be lit up like an upside down birthday cake.

Also I'd say everything looks pretty good, very moody. 

Just my opinion, but I'd say think about what your game is really about, what is your special sauce, and try to sell that harder in the screenshot.  You don't want to suffer the "hundredth-best Indian restaurant" syndrome.  Post-apocalyptic games are a dime a hundred-dozen nowadays so you really need to differentiate and hammer out your niche.  My two cents anyway, maybe you've already got your customer base pre-ordering faster than Deus Ex diehards salivating in front of an E3 expo Humanity Divided trailer.

Blondbraid

Love the hand with the gun hiding in the bushes, though in the last picture I could only tell that it was a hand and a gun because I recognized the silhouette from the previous picture. I love the concept, but in the latest picture a viewer could probably easily mistake the gun from a bit of pipe sticking out of the bush. And the character in dark clothing against a dark background... maybe the sky could be more red-orange for contrast?

Mouth for war

Thanks! Yeah so i added a little something so everyone will know what it is :D

Mouth for war

vertigoaddict

Are you sure?
Anyways, here's a very rough edit, maybe? Maybe not?
I put a layer of orange and blue in some places, to exagurate (add colour to) some shadows and hyperreaslistically added more orange lighting.
I blurred it out and changed the layer setting to "soft light".

It might be too much? But it might give you more ideas?

Mouth for war

Cool. Thanks. I might play around with it some more :-)

Mouth for war

I did hehe...here is what I hope the final version. I will keep it more darker like this I think

NickyNyce

IMO, I would brighten it up a bit. (On my phone) I can barely make out the giant spider, and can only see a muzzle flash, but not what's holding the gun. I think it's fine to have dark areas, but I think it might be better to show off certain things in a brighter fashion.

Myinah

Yeah it's too dark. I appreciate you probably like it dark but it really needs to be brighter. That is what is being consistently fed back. Good job with the style and concept, but vertigo was on the right track with his edit. If you don't want the sky to be too bright you still need to brighten the screen in general, especially the lower portion.

Slasher

A tadge of gamma would be a+

good image though ;)

Mouth for war

I did increase the brightness a little. I will post it later as i'm on the phone right now. Glad you guys seem to like the contents though :-D

Mouth for war

Is this better? :) I removed that lightning finally too. It did annoy me a little hehe. On my computer i saw difference bur posting it here didn't seem so much brighter. Maybe it's because of photobucket. I think they compress the images

Cassiebsg

Ah, much better! Finally can see the all! (nod)
And yeah, Photobucket compresses the pictures if they are bigger than the "normal". You need to add ~original to the url provided by them.

Like this: http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q492/Alcotrash_79/Earthpromo4.png~original
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk