Prophetica (comic book)

Started by Vince Twelve, Wed 16/09/2015 16:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Twelve

Hey AGS.  I know I don't stop in too often.  Sorry.  :-[ Usual excuses: work, wife, kids, job, selling house, moving to japan, working on a comic book...

Anyway, I released a comic today.  It's called Prophetica and is avaiable for digital download on the pay-what-you-want (including free) plan.  So, I'd love it if you'd go check it out. http://propheti.ca (Thanks Ryan Timothy for helping me snag that fancy-pants Canadian domain!)

Prophetica is a planned miniseries of stand-alone stories which, together, will document the history of a fictional religion on an planet not so different from our own. The series will explore this world's culture and individuals through the lens of this religion as it grows and changes over the course of centuries. The book uses a widescreen layout optimized for reading on tablets, phones, and monitors.

Check it out if you're interested! I'd welcome feedback on anything from the writing to the website design to the payment model.

Also, you can like Prophetica on Facebook. /obligatory

Cassiebsg

Love comic books, so had to check it out. :-D

Unfortunately, can't! All I get is a blank webpage! 8-0
I know, I'm paranoid and I rarely let sites I don't know or trust to be on the "play scripts" at first date. Since it's you I allowed them from your site... still blank. Since I don't know the other 2 sites... I'm not about to turn off my "no scripts" police for a first date. Sorry.
Point to be taken? You might want to add a simple htlm splash page to say something "This site uses this scripts for you to see it in it's full glory, in the mean time you can see these pretty preview pages from my awesome comic book, that I'm sure you'll enjoy once you turn scripts on! Promise I won't hijack your browser... too much (laugh) ".

Also, no FB here... (runs away from the wip! outch!)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Vince Twelve

Errr... yeah, if you block javascript, I don't think any of the site is going to work (do any?).  I'll look into making a script-o-phobe version in the future.  Wasn't in the budget for launch! :-* Thanks for the tip!

Snarky

Most sites work OK even if you block external scripts, yes.

Bought the comic, haven't had time to read it yet. Congratulations on the release!

Stupot

I bought and read this yesterday. I'm no comic-book aficionado but I loved it. The art is gorgeous. It's an interesting world and a messed up story. Also there are some really fun panel transitions and ideas that made me laugh. I look eagerly forward to part 2 :-)

Vince Twelve

Yeah, the template I used for the website seems to be pretty reliant on Javascript for the responsive layout and for loading in custom CSS from the administrator backend.  The developers clearly didn't build it with people who block Javascript in mind. If I find time, I'll try to work on this, but it's going to be a while.  Sorry, Cassiebsg!  Thanks for pointing it out, though!  I hope I didn't come off as being snarky in my first comment!  I was attempting playful, but upon second reading it sounded more flippant.

And Snarky, I hope I didn't offend you by calling myself snarky just then.  There's only one you.  Thanks for the purchase!

And thanks for the kind words, Stu!  You're the best!

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Wed 16/09/2015 21:55:02
Errr... yeah, if you block javascript, I don't think any of the site is going to work (do any?).  I'll look into making a script-o-phobe version in the future.  Wasn't in the budget for launch! :-* Thanks for the tip!
I also got a blank page on my first visit just now. Perhaps when I had previously visited the site when you first got it, that it had the old CSS or something cached from a year ago (I doubt it though).

Anyway after a short amount of time waiting, I ended up pressing ctrl+F5 to reload the page. I did not have scripts blocked.

Oh and look into getting an icon for your website! ;)

Cassiebsg

No worries Vince Twelve. ;)

Will your comic be edited on old fashion paper? I'm old fashion that way that I hate reading comic books on a screen. (roll) If so, please give me the needed info so I can order it right away from my Comic book pusher. :-D

Vince Twelve

No print for now because I don't have the infrastructure for dealing with printing, inventory, and shipping and all the print-on-demand places are bad deals.  My plan right at the moment is to produce 5-7 digital "issues" and then to produce a super pretty hardcover collection. 

And since my site is code-reliant, here are the first handful of pages hosted on imgur or tumblr.

Cassiebsg

Looks awesome!
You already had me sold at "hard cover" (searches desperately for the droll smiley). (nod)(laugh)
Okay, hurry up doing those 5-7 issues, cause I want this! :P

selmiak

seems pretty interesting!
I need to read more than just these 6 pages... which is a good sign! I'm hooked already ;-D

MagpieBrews

This is right up my alley! I read through "Truth", and was so sad not to see a "next" button. When you get the hardcover edition out, I definitely want a copy. The art style interests me like the early Aeon Flux style. I love other world stories. And if you can have a religious conspiracy as grand as that in Dune...

/fangirls

Vince Twelve

Selmiak & MagpieBrews: You can actually keep reading.  The whole thing is currently available on the site via a pdf download for any price you like including free! http://propheti.ca/buy.

MagpieBrews

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Mon 21/09/2015 22:13:45
Selmiak & MagpieBrews: You can actually keep reading.  The whole thing is currently available on the site via a pdf download for any price you like including free! http://propheti.ca/buy.
* MagpieBrews pulls empty pockets out of jeans. Lint falls out.

Holy crap these forums have a / me function?!

Rest assured though, I will be a purchaser in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk