What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

selmiak

It grinds my gears when people dislike people disliking raisins.

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Jack

When once great series like Star Wars and Star Trek are made into action films so that the bubblegum that sticks to your shoe can follow along.

Stupot

Retro Wolf

How about when you pay for a DVD or cinema ticket, then they force you to watch a video on how piracy is evil and supports terrorism. I'm obviously not supporting piracy when I've PAID for the pissing thing!

miguel

People that do not close doors after they leave a room when they had to open it to get in.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

JamesGoblin

Games without Goblins race really grind my gears.

For Jebus sake, this is 21st century!
Trivia: Warhammer Online is the best game ever made.

Mandle

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Sun 31/01/2016 11:48:41
How about when you pay for a DVD or cinema ticket, then they force you to watch a video on how piracy is evil and supports terrorism. I'm obviously not supporting piracy when I've PAID for the pissing thing!

Well, to be fair: You could potentially be watching a pirated copy of the DVD including the "No piracy" video, and theoretically the video could make you feel guilty and you might stop watching...

What I really HATE on DVDs that I have bought is the ones that will not let me skip the ads for other movies at the start and go straight to the menu. I can understand if it's a rental, but if I shelled out the money to buy the damn thing why should I be forced to watch the ads?!

Jack

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 04/02/2016 06:20:53
Well, to be fair: You could potentially be watching a pirated copy of the DVD including the "No piracy" video, and theoretically the video could make you feel guilty and you might stop watching...

No ripper would leave that video in.

I really hate DRM on games for the same reason: It treats the customer like a criminal, and most of the time ensures that the pirate gets a better product.

Steam games for instance always need to be updated after installation, if you're lucky enough to be able to even install the game from the disc you bought and not have to download the whole thing. Where I live the download for the forced updates have sometimes cost me more than the game did.

GTAV is the worst offender here. Every time I've wanted to drop in and play for a bit there was at least a 500MB forced update (sometimes two), which more often than not was a multiplayer map I would never see. You can't even play it without an internet connection, for no good reason. It finally screwed me over enough that I decided to install the pirated version, and you know what? I've been having a blast in GTAV lately.

Mandle

This didn't grind my gears as much as gave me an irritated chuckle:

From today's news:

QuoteThe former President first announced last August that a deadly form of skin cancer, melanoma, which was first found in his liver, had spread to his brain. Carter initially said he thought he had only weeks to live when he first learned of the diagnosis. He left his fate "in the hands of God, whom I worship."

Carter was treated via surgery, radiation and a relatively new form of immunotherapy.

Somebody call the pope! IT'S A MIRACLE OF DIVINE INTERVENTION!!!

Blondbraid

It grinds my gears when movies end with the hero, being a hero, tries to save the villain, only for the villain to try to back-stab the hero immediately after so that the hero is forced to kill the villain anyway, rendering the whole scene pointless. So, instead of showing how good and compassionate the hero is, the writers just ended up with the moral of the story that you shouldn't forgive your enemies, and that showing any kind of mercy is a stupid thing to do that will only backfire. (wtf)

And all those writers apparently thought that this was a way better and more original end than I don't know, have the hero defeat the bad guy in a fair fight? The hero openly admitting that the bad guy is evil and must be put down? Have the villain genuinely repent?
No, the antagonist pulling a gun on his rescuer while he's being rescued is way, way more clever!

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 09/03/2016 10:08:42
It grinds my gears when movies end with the hero, being a hero, tries to save the villain, only for the villain to try to back-stab the hero immediately after

Toy Story 3 pulled it off though

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 09/03/2016 17:01:11
Toy Story 3 pulled it off though
Yes, a few movies did manage to do this in a good way that didn't feel like an obvious cliché. I think tropes are to movies what pig-guts are to hot dogs, and integral part for the structure, but you shouldn't constantly remind the consumer of their presence.

Mouth for war

When you're out driving. Someone comes up behind you and stays there. Just a few inches/centimeters behind you so if you suddenly had to stop, you'd probably get a free whiplash as well. You slow down so they can drive past you but nooo. They also slow down instead.. Oooohhhhh how it grinds my gears :-D

Jack

It's called tailgating and they are doing it on purpose. Usually accompanied by a german luxury car or an suv. Since everything these people do in their lives is about seeking attention, the best thing you can do is to ignore them. This little man BS is pretty much the extent of their abilities.

I really hate it when I microwave something for many minutes, have to wait a minute for the plate to cool down enough to touch it, I sit down to eat and get a mouthful of cold food.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Jack on Sun 24/07/2016 12:21:08
I really hate it when I microwave something for many minutes, have to wait a minute for the plate to cool down enough to touch it, I sit down to eat and get a mouthful of cold food.

That's because: You are suppose to use a MW plate and mix/move your food half way. (roll)

And on this subject, I really hate it when ppl can't operate or understand how a MW works!
I have colleagues that will put their food on top of mine because "we can just warm it at the same time!" Ack! We can't! Others can't figure out how to turn it on "How do I start this?"... Open the MW when it's running, realizing it's occupied and then either remove my food out (and when I complain say "Oh, but it wasn't running!" Yes it was!) or just close the door again, but not press the start button so it'll continue warming my food. And then we have one with just a round button to set the timer... some just get them rotate it all the way round (60 minutes), out they're food in... take it out after a minute or two... close the door and let the thing work the next 58 minutes empty. 8-0 I swear they going to burn the house down one day!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

That microwave thing yeah!!! The tailgaiting...well it has usually been older people doing it actually...not those who think they are cool and funny. No matter who, it still is a major annoyance :-D

Stupot

People who step of the escalator and then decide to stand still, despite the fact there is a MOVING STAIRCASE FULL OF PEOPLE COMING UP BEHING YOU, OLD FARTS!

Danvzare

When you're about to cross the road and see a car coming. So you wait for them to pass but they instead take a turn, and you're just cursing to yourself "use your bloody indicators! They're for pedestrians too you idiot!". >:(
And then of course the car straight behind them doesn't want to turn, so you have to wait a bit longer for that car to pass as well. And then there's another car. And another.
In short, I wish there were traffic lights at that crossroads.

Mandle

The media is grinding my gears at the moment with all the panic-mongering (read: click-baiting) over how Pokemon GO is making the streets so unsafe for everyone.

Even my wife/friends are tsk-tsking when they hear each new incident, and they just roll their eyes when I point out that people were ALWAYS looking at their phones when walking/driving: It's just that incidents/accidents involving these mundane phone abuses are not newsworthy unless the person happened to be playing Pokemon GO.

And their eyes glaze over when I say "Hey, at least Pokemon GO makes them look around at their environment a bit...Unlike Candy Crush/Angry Birds/etc etc..."

Phew...I feel so much better now with that off my chest!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk