What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

SinSin

My children when they don't listen for the 1000000th time Grind my gears !!
Currently working on a project!

Mandle

Quote from: SinSin on Fri 29/07/2016 17:23:56
My children when they don't listen for the 1000000th time Grind my gears !!

I just got back from a 5 day summer camp with kids and I soooooo hear your gear grinding syncing with mine...

My conclusion:

The current exchange rate between actual personal experience and adult-given advice is exactly at a 1 to 1000000 ratio for all new humans on planet Earth...

Mandle

It grinds my gears when I promise myself I will work on game dev of unfinished projects during my summer break and then I download Civ 2 for the 20th time and play it constantly for 3 days...

It really is the smack addiction...Once you've mainlined Civ 2 there is no going back...It waits for years, like a stealthy ninja monkey on your back, and then it strikes again!

selmiak

Civ is such a timesink! And there is a civ6 coming out in october, so you're safe until then... somehow...

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 03/08/2016 20:46:14
Civ is such a timesink! And there is a civ6 coming out in october, so you're safe until then... somehow...

I've tried Civ 3 & 4 but, even though they looked better, I always found the gameplay of 2 to be much better. It just seems they were adding stuff that made the game more complicated but didn't really add anything much of worth to the gameplay (like those stupid leaders and armies...urgh)... So yeah, I've always gone back to 2.

I will be interested to take a look at 6 though...see where they've gone with it...

Danvzare

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 03/08/2016 20:46:14
Wait, another one already? 8-0
Didn't they release civ5 only a few years ago?

Mouth for war

Ohh Mandle...Mandle............Mandle. That is a serious offense!!!! :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Snarky

Here's a petty pet peeve: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" is fine as a general expression of fed-up-ness, but it's wrong as a quote from the movie Network. It should be "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Andail

While Civ 2 is arguably the instalment I've spent the most time on, it did have some weaknesses that annoyed me, for instance how so many other civs would constantly be angry with you and gang up on you as soon as you grew somewhat powerful (while they treated rivalling computer civs with utter respect when they grew bigger).

It's extremely hard designing a good A.I for games like Civ, because you have to kind of compensate for the player being able to constantly save and load. That's why they're given rule-changing advantages (like how they can suddenly produce 15 tanks the round after you declare, when previously they had none). For this reason, it'd be better not to give the player any savegames at all; then they'd be forced to play carefully and think through all diplomatic actions.

Mouth for war

Oh oh people who say should of or would of p####s me off big time. SHOULD HAVE and WOULD HAVE....god damn it :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

straydogstrut

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 24/07/2016 14:09:20
People who step of the escalator and then decide to stand still, despite the fact there is a MOVING STAIRCASE FULL OF PEOPLE COMING UP BEHING YOU, OLD FARTS!
That's why in London you stand on the right, walk on the left. I thought it was silly when I first moved here; now I realise it's such a time saver.

What grinds my gears is when people use the extra s after an apostrophe on words ending in s when showing possession. I know there's more than one opinion on its use, including whether to use it after only common nouns or proper nouns, so some of you will disagree with me, but when your primary school teacher crosses out your entire homework for using apostrophes everywhere that leaves a mark..

For me it will always be Bridget Jones' Diary

Adeel

Quote from: straydogstrut on Fri 12/08/2016 20:35:30
Spoiler
Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 24/07/2016 14:09:20
People who step of the escalator and then decide to stand still, despite the fact there is a MOVING STAIRCASE FULL OF PEOPLE COMING UP BEHING YOU, OLD FARTS!
That's why in London you stand on the right, walk on the left. I thought it was silly when I first moved here; now I realise it's such a time saver.

What grinds my gears is when people use the extra s after an apostrophe on words ending in s when showing possession. I know there's more than one opinion on its use, including whether to use it after only common nouns or proper nouns, so some of you will disagree with me, but when your primary school teacher crosses out your entire homework for using apostrophes everywhere that leaves a mark..
[close]
For me it will always be Bridget Jones' Diary

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's Diary
[close]

Gurok

Quote from: Adeel on Fri 12/08/2016 23:42:46

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's Diary
[close]

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's Diary
[close]
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Danvzare

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 13/08/2016 06:01:59
Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's Diary
[close]

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's's Diary
[close]
Ok, this is starting to sound a bit like someone with a lisp now.

selmiak

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 13/08/2016 11:18:49
Quote from: Gurok on Sat 13/08/2016 06:01:59
Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's Diary
[close]

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's's Diary
[close]
Ok, this is starting to sound a bit like someone with a lisp now.

Spoiler
Bridget Jones's's's Diary's Secrets
[close]

Blondbraid

It really annoys me that whenever someone complains about something, someone sooner or later will say
"And what about the starving children in Africa?", or something similar.

Say a restaurant serves you an under-cooked, inedible meal and expect you to pay for it.
"The starving children in Africa would be very happy for that food, you know."

Your favorite TV-show or movie gets replaced by an awful reboot?
Why nag about that when there are starving children in Africa?

You can barely survive on your wage and are struggling to make ends meet?
It's still more than the kids starving to death in Africa have.

If you actually ask these people to actually donate something to charity, or even just name one country in Africa however, it's not really that important or urgent anymore. (wrong)

Mandle

Blondbraid...

Don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?

:-D

CaesarCub

A personal favorite of mine was a friend's father that (loosely translated) used to say:

"Shame on you! Meanwhile there are children in Africa that go to bed barefoot"

Blondbraid

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 15/08/2016 02:28:22
Blondbraid...

Don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?

:-D
Quote from: CaesarCub on Mon 15/08/2016 16:37:08
A personal favorite of mine was a friend's father that (loosely translated) used to say:

"Shame on you! Meanwhile there are children in Africa that go to bed barefoot"
Yeah, the "Others have it worse" argument is an old one, and it isn't limited to African kids. Some old people also invoke the "You don't understand how much worse it was when I was your age!" card.

However, I once saw a pretty hilarious rebuttal to that:

Kid: I don't like this bread!
Grumpy old person: When I was your age, I would have been happy to get such bread.
Kid: This bread was probably fresh back then.

Danvzare

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 15/08/2016 17:21:45
Some old people also invoke the "You don't understand how much worse it was when I was your age!" card.

That reminds me of something that grinds my gears. Everyone thinks that everyone older than them is dumber because they're old and aren't in touch with what's new, and everyone thinks that everyone younger than them is dumb, because they're young and never experienced these things that you take for granted, back when they were new.
And as a result, we've got everyone saying how things were better in their day, and perpetuating myths that our ancestors were dumb for thinking the world was flat.

People who are younger than you aren't dumb. People who are older than you aren't dumb. You aren't dumb. Things just change!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk