What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

CaesarCub

Quote from: CaesarCub on Mon 15/08/2016 16:37:08
"Shame on you! Meanwhile there are children in Africa that go to bed barefoot"
Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 15/08/2016 17:21:45
Yeah, the "Others have it worse" argument is an old one, and it isn't limited to African kids. Some old people also invoke the "You don't understand how much worse it was when I was your age!" card.

The thing about this is that most people go to bed barefoot, but it does look like a classic "you don't know how good you have it" phrase.

Retro Wolf

I give to Save the Children every month, does that mean I'm allowed to use the Africa line? :)

Mandle

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 15/08/2016 02:28:22
Blondbraid...

Don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?

:-D

Actually...I was just quoting Weird Al...

I guess I should have added "Eat It!"...

(Selfie-quote FTW!)

Stupot

Along the same lines, the whole 'First world problems' thing is starting to get old.
It was funny when it was just a meme and a way of reminding ourselves to maybe not take certain problems so seriously when we should be thankful for our privileges. But now you can't express any kind of frustration without someone going 'first world problems, first world problems'

What's worse is that we now say it ourselves, almost apologetically. "Grrr, the internet's packed in and I can't watch Better Call Saul... I know, first world problems and all that, silly me, ha ha"

No. Don't apologise. You worked hard to afford your broadband and Netflix. Damn right you should be able to say "grrr" when you can't watch Better Call Saul.

Cassiebsg

"First world problems"? That's definitely a first for me.... always heard of "third world problems" myself... (roll)(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 17/08/2016 16:07:04
Along the same lines, the whole 'First world problems' thing is starting to get old.

Annoyed at Internet meme. #FWP

Mandle

Danvzare

Now that I think about it, isn't everything on this thread a first world problem?

Mouth for war

Yeah a first world problem is still a problem god damn it :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

EXTREME CONTENT WARNING:
Spoiler

I so hate it when I have to walk barefoot from the dumped porta-potty where I live in the garbage mountains of my island home, while stepping on rusty hypodermic needles, just to get a bucket of water for myself and my six AIDS-orphaned siblings, only to find out weeks later that the water was infected with The Fiery Serpent, and now I have to wind the worms out of the skin ulcers on my baby sister for weeks on end around a little stick...

Yeah, yeah, I know: Third World Problems right?
[close]

Cassiebsg

I hate it when people act childish and start deleting their posts! >:(

Adeel

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 19/08/2016 17:16:39
I hate it when people act childish and start deleting their posts! >:(

It grinds my gears (and makes me quite sad) when age forgets how youth thinks!
Spoiler
[close]

Cassiebsg

Are you implying I'm old? 8-0

Deleting ones post is like a 3 year old making a fit or a child saying "if I can't have that, so can't you!" (my 4 year old says it all the time!). So yeah, it's childish act.

[delete}

[ :( ]
[tramples on LEGO sets ]

Cassiebsg

Mandle

IT GRINDS MY GEARS WHEN:

I go back to try and complete an AGS project from months ago and I fix all the problems, only to break everything, and then I have to revert to an earlier version where things worked pretty much, and then have to remember how I "fixed" everything, and then I break several things, and then...

I realise that all my gear grinding is totally my own fault for not being more organised in the first place...

CaptainD

I hate it when I'm really close to the completion of a big project, really REALLY REALLY close, almost there, close enough to touch it, and then somehow... I'm not quite as nearly there as I thought I was. >:( 8-0

Cassiebsg

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 24/08/2016 14:57:01
I hate it when I'm really close to the completion of a big project, really REALLY REALLY close, almost there, close enough to touch it, and then somehow... I'm not quite as nearly there as I thought I was. >:( 8-0

+1 I feel your pain. (roll)

Danvzare

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 24/08/2016 14:53:35
IT GRINDS MY GEARS WHEN:

I go back to try and complete an AGS project from months ago and I fix all the problems, only to break everything, and then I have to revert to an earlier version where things worked pretty much, and then have to remember how I "fixed" everything, and then I break several things, and then...

I realise that all my gear grinding is totally my own fault for not being more organised in the first place...
Wow, I've definitely been there.
Thankfully I've got a good memory, and can usually recall what I fixed and how I fixed everything. But there's always that niggling doubt in the back of my mind that I've forgotten something, and there's a rare bug just lurking about.

Adeel

Quote from: Mandle on Wed 24/08/2016 14:53:35
IT GRINDS MY GEARS WHEN:

This is why you should always comment. Whatever you do and as soon as you do, comment out everything. Explicitly state why and how you did something. Do this even if you're working alone. You'll only thank yourself later for doing this. Spending extra 5 minutes on commenting earlier will save you, say, 20 minutes of "reverting & remembering" later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk