What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 09/09/2016 19:18:05
most (if not all) parents with small children left! 8-0

Of course! The Princess Mononoke movie is way too complex for little kids to be able to follow!

In much the same way, that Saving Private Ryan parody scene in Sausage Party would be totally wasted on them!

These are clearly NOT movies for kids!

Cassiebsg

In case you haven't seen the movie... the first few minutes, involves a battle with swords... and lot's of arms, legs, heads and other body parts being sliced and flying through the air... including the blood. :-\ Am pretty sure if they had seen it, they would have realized that kids needed to be a bit older for this.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

dactylopus

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 09/09/2016 23:59:37
In case you haven't seen the movie... the first few minutes, involves a battle with swords... and lot's of arms, legs, heads and other body parts being sliced and flying through the air... including the blood. :-\ Am pretty sure if they had seen it, they would have realized that kids needed to be a bit older for this.

Love that sequence.  Wish I had seen that in cartoons as a child.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 09/09/2016 23:59:37

I've seen it about 6-7 times...I know you meant the violence...I was just being droll...

Danvzare

I remember watching Princess Mononoke. I can't remember how old I was. Probably around twelve. It was on TV in Japanese, and had subtitles.
I could barely follow the film (not because it was subtitled, I could read very well), so yeah, like Mandle says, way too complex of a plot for kids.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 09/09/2016 19:18:05
I think the ppl rating looked at it and said "Cartoon movie... it's for kids!"... but they never even saw 5 minutes of it! >:(
That annoys me so much. I mean, no one would look at South Park and say that!
And if you look at some really old cartoons, like the original Felix the Cat shorts, they're more adult themed than even South Park!

Blondbraid

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 10/09/2016 09:52:32
And if you look at some really old cartoons, like the original Felix the Cat shorts, they're more adult themed than even South Park!
Yes, I do feel that cartoons were indeed much, much darker before, because the cinemas often used to show short cartoons before
the feature-length movie back in the day, and many of them were geared towards adults.

One of the darkest movies I've seen was a wartime propaganda film titled Education for death, made by none other than Walt Disney.
And people today say Frozen is "dark" because the protagonists parents die off-screen and another character lies about being a nice guy. (roll)

Jack

I didn't know this until recently, but this change was probably brought on by the motion picture production code, which was instituted by hollywood on 1930. This resulted in a collection of "pre-code" films which addressed race relations, drug use and sexuality with a freedom we have been slowly re-acquiring in recent decades.

It grinds my gears that: Things which take so long to build are so easy to ruin.

Retro Wolf

I get a bit annoyed at myself when I hear certain songs so awfully terrible (not even a so bad it's good song), and it sticks in your head and you catch yourself singing it!

Adeel

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 12/09/2016 11:24:44
I get a bit annoyed at myself when I hear certain songs so awfully terrible (not even a so bad it's good song), and it sticks in your head and you catch yourself singing it!

Let it go! Let it go! Let it go! :=

Mandle

Quote from: Adeel on Mon 12/09/2016 13:03:04

I'm not sure though if "Let It Go" fits the description of a terrible song...I would say it's one of Disney's best (The Lion King still rules supreme for the songs though in my book)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Jack on Sun 11/09/2016 12:40:22
I didn't know this until recently, but this change was probably brought on by the motion picture production code, which was instituted by hollywood on 1930. This resulted in a collection of "pre-code" films which addressed race relations, drug use and sexuality with a freedom we have been slowly re-acquiring in recent decades.
I've read about the Hayes Code before, though I doubt that it's solely to blame since it applied to cartoons and live-action alike.
I'd say this also has a lot to do with media technology as well, since the introduction of daytime TV created a huge demand for family-friendly content, and the loosened restrictions of recent times goes hand in hand with internet becoming big and many people being able to share content without relying on studios and tv-companys.

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 12/09/2016 14:08:52
Quote from: Adeel on Mon 12/09/2016 13:03:04

I'm not sure though if "Let It Go" fits the description of a terrible song...I would say it's one of Disney's best (The Lion King still rules supreme for the songs though in my book)
And speaking of cartoons, while I have to admit that I liked "Let it go", it grinds my gears that I still see stupid Frozen merchandise pushed in my face everywhere. People simply refuse to let it go!
It's not even a good movie! It has plotholes the size of China, the song the trolls sing is so awful it's even worse than vogon poetry and the animators didn't even bother to give the female characters different character models:

Danvzare

What grinds my gears is that Frozen got ridiculously popular, yet almost no one ever mentions Wreck-It Ralph, despite the latter being a much better film in my opinion. So much better in fact, that it's actually getting a sequel! >:(

Snarky

Quote from: Blondbraid on Mon 12/09/2016 15:44:16
I've read about the Hayes Code before, though I doubt that it's solely to blame since it applied to cartoons and live-action alike.
I'd say this also has a lot to do with media technology as well, since the introduction of daytime TV created a huge demand for family-friendly content, and the loosened restrictions of recent times goes hand in hand with internet becoming big and many people being able to share content without relying on studios and tv-companys.

The death of cinematic cartoon shorts came about largely because a Supreme Court antitrust ruling forced the separation of cinema chains from movie studios. In the old days, studios like Warner, MGM, Paramount, etc. owned the movie theaters and controlled the programming (so a particular cinema would show only films from a particular studio). The ruling meant they had to sell them off, and that there had to be an open market in deciding what each cinema would show. The court also started to enforce an earlier decision that it was illegal to "block-book" short films along with feature-length films (i.e. sell them as a package). This made them much harder to sell, since people didn't usually buy movie tickets for short films but for main features, so they were an obvious target for cinema chain cost-cutting (the movie business went into a major decline around this time). Within a few years they were all but gone.

Gurok

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 13/09/2016 11:01:40
What grinds my gears is that Frozen got ridiculously popular, yet almost no one ever mentions Wreck-It Ralph, despite the latter being a much better film in my opinion. So much better in fact, that it's actually getting a sequel! >:(

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

CaptainD

I thought Frozen was good, not necessarily outstanding.  It was phenomenally popular because it hit all the right social consciousness buttons at the right time.

Still haven't seen Wreck It Ralph (it's on my To Do list though!).

Mandle

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 13/09/2016 13:41:32
Still haven't seen Wreck It Ralph (it's on my To Do list though!).

Even if the movie doesn't do it for you...the credits will!!! And the movie will, but the credits even WILLER!!!

I feel confident saying this in this particular forum, without any further spoilers...

(I cried while smiling during the credits, and wished I had seen the movie on the big screen)

Blondbraid

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 13/09/2016 11:39:31
The death of cinematic cartoon shorts came about largely because a Supreme Court antitrust ruling forced the separation of cinema chains from movie studios. In the old days, studios like Warner, MGM, Paramount, etc. owned the movie theaters and controlled the programming (so a particular cinema would show only films from a particular studio). The ruling meant they had to sell them off, and that there had to be an open market in deciding what each cinema would show. The court also started to enforce an earlier decision that it was illegal to "block-book" short films along with feature-length films (i.e. sell them as a package). This made them much harder to sell, since people didn't usually buy movie tickets for short films but for main features, so they were an obvious target for cinema chain cost-cutting (the movie business went into a major decline around this time). Within a few years they were all but gone.
Most interesting, thanks for the read! (nod)

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 13/09/2016 13:41:32
I thought Frozen was good, not necessarily outstanding.  It was phenomenally popular because it hit all the right social consciousness buttons at the right time.
That is also something which baffles me, since I can't really think of anything that Frozen did that other Disney/Pixar movies haven't done before. Compared with previous Disney movies, such as this scene from Pocahontas or The hunchback from Notre Dame,
I think Frozen is very tame and doesn't take any big risks. Even Wreck it Ralph and Zootopia handled issues like fear of others and alienation much, much better than Frozen.

Retro Wolf

I think any Pixar film is worth watching!

CaesarCub

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 13/09/2016 20:07:07
I think any Pixar film is worth watching!

I'll take your word for it, but I'm still not watching Cars 2 (or Cars)

CaptainD

I don't think Frozen really did anything drastically new, it just appealed to the prevailing mood of a lot of people when it came out, and this coupled with a lot of publicity blew the hype well out of proportion.  But I agree, there was little / nothing genuinely "new" in it.

Speaking of Zootopia - which I also enjoyed - did anyone feel it seemed more about sexism than racism, despite there being many obvious opportunities to deal with racism?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk