What grinds my gears!

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 24/09/2015 13:43:15

Previous topic - Next topic

dactylopus

True, the punchline was lost in translation.  That irks me as well.

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 03/11/2018 08:50:50
Quote from: dactylopus on Sat 03/11/2018 07:41:58
The thing that bugs me about it is how he has to spell out the subtext.  Subtext shouldn't need to be made a part of the telling of the story.
Yeah it's really basic “we shouldn't judge people by the colour of their skin” stuff that while I admit some people seem like they need reminding. But if you're old enough to have a Facebook account and still have to be reminded about that then you are beyond help.
Introducing skin colour into a joke or a story, when it doesn't need to be there, almost always ruins the joke or story.
I've got a very old joke book (from the late 1800 I think). 90% of the jokes are racist jokes. Of those racist jokes, 80% of them, I've read in modern joke books without the racist undertones. The modern versions of those jokes are a lot better, because they don't add needless fluff that distracts from the jokes.

It's kind of funny that we've been telling the same jokes for hundreds of years though. (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: Danvzare on Sat 03/11/2018 11:12:21
It's kind of funny that we've been telling the same jokes for hundreds of years though. (laugh)

I guess there are only so many jokes to tell and we don't remember or live forever.

Cassiebsg

Nothing is created, everything is transformed. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Jack

Circa 2018: Into rancid regurgitate, generally speaking.

Stupot

@Dan. What's the title of the Joke book you mentioned?
I had one from the 70s that I found in my attic when I was 12. It must've belonged to my father. Only good thing I ever inherited from him.

Danvzare

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 03/11/2018 15:06:06
@Dan. What's the title of the Joke book you mentioned?
I had one from the 70s that I found in my attic when I was 12. It must've belonged to my father. Only good thing I ever inherited from him.
I think it's called "Make Them Laugh".
I'd have to look though to be sure. It's currently stored away in the attic, and I don't want to go around searching for it.
It's a red book though, in one of those awesome classic book covers. It's got one of those smiling masks in gold foil on the front.

Jack

What grinds my gears are those dainty little click tabs holding plastic appliance covers together. Most of them are so thin they just break when opening, not to mention the marks almost always left by the opener.

But hey, it's cheap, and yet another thing motivating consumers to just buy a new appliance. Assholes.

Mandle

Quote from: Jack on Wed 07/11/2018 23:39:29
What grinds my gears are those dainty little click tabs holding plastic appliance covers together. Most of them are so thin they just break when opening, not to mention the marks almost always left by the opener.

But hey, it's cheap, and yet another thing motivating consumers to just buy a new appliance. Assholes.

I tried a few times to visualize what it is you are talking about but failed.

Can you show a picture? I'm curious now.

Mouth for war

What grinds my gears: you buy something from the super market and you look for the "best before" info...and where it's most convenient IMO it says "best before, see marking" if you know that people will look where that text is....so WHY THE HELL CAN'T YOU JUST PUT THE DAMN DATE THERE?!?! :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Jack

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 08/11/2018 01:26:10
I tried a few times to visualize what it is you are talking about but failed.

Can you show a picture? I'm curious now.

This video shows the opening of a standard modern remote. No screws is the standard now unless they are absolutely necessary.

If you look closely at the start of the video you can see from the marks on the finish that this remote has been opened before.

Khris

What annoys me way more than it should is how people when asking for computer/programming help keep saying "every time I do X, Y happens", when they simply mean "when I do X, Y happens". The first version sounds like they are surprised that the outcome doesn't change. I'm sure it's just a colloquialism but it sounds absolutely moronic to my ears.

Danvzare

What grinds my gears, is when a game doesn't work and it keeps spitting out an error message, and you look for help online on how get the game to work, by searching up that error message. But all you find is that the company who made the game knows about the problem because it's very common, and the only reason they've given is "Hurr durr, update your drivers."

Are you seriously telling me, that 99% of games (both newer and older than the one I'm trying to get working) work on my computer, but your one game doesn't, because my drivers aren't up to date?
Seriously? :-\

And what's worse, is that my drivers are up to date. >:(

Blondbraid

What really grinds my gears is the increasing trend of AAA single player games needing to be connected online to the game company servers,
and lagging and freezing whenever your internet connection acts up, despite this being 100% unnecessary due to the games being single player,
they shouldn't need to be connected at all. It's just there so greedy executives can shove micro transactions and redundant sharing-your-progress features in the game.

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 09/11/2018 13:54:17
What really grinds my gears is the increasing trend of AAA games

100% agree!!!

Jack

Buy from gog.com or don't buy at all, that's become my motto. I also lean heavily towards linux support these days, and then there's the long list of games I own but have never played. On top of all this games-as-a-service garbage, AAA titles are so heavily politicised these days, it's just not worth it for me.

Click'd

Gog has become A LOT shittier this year.

Jack

Frodo

Quote from: Jack on Sat 10/11/2018 18:41:40
What happened?

They wrecked their entire site, so it doesn't work properly any more.  It's a complete nightmare trying to navigate through it now. 
-  There's an empty black banner taking up half the screen. 
-  Username at the top, linking to your account has gone.
-  The Search feature \ magnifying glass doesn't work (nothing happens when you click on it), so you can't search for any games.
-  Huge empty space under 'Now On Sale'.  I think it's supposed to show some games they have for sale... but it's just a blank space.
-  No News anywhere in site, so you don't know what's new to the store.
-  Go to any of the game pages, and there's a big empty space where there SHOULD be screenshots showing what the game is like.
-  Also on the game pages, it doesn't say if you already own that game - it used to, but not anymore.

Click'd

I was more referring to them forcing PUBLIC profile pages on anyone, without option to say "no" for over a week and total silence on their part. Especially since Steam, of all places, went the other way not that long ago.

But yeah, the new homepage is a crime in itself. Even though I see the things Frodo apparently doesn't. The "news" are at the bottom, and far fewer items than before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk