Mittens 2016: Orust, Sweden 30 July - 06 August

Started by AGA, Tue 29/09/2015 16:02:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

I'm probably going to sit this one out. But good luck, and have fun!

cat

We will not make it either, but we wish you an awesome Mittens!

m0ds

Thanks for the msg! Looks lovely but way too adventurous for my wallet, sorry! Whilst I'm sure the rolling ocean, beaches and reefers are amazing out there... You can give me that in the form of Margate and I'd still be happy. Everything Carib has to offer you can find in Spain etc, it's literally just paying the money to a) get that tiny bit of extra culture [of which you have about 5 days to find] and b) to have another stamp of a new destination in your passport and c) cater for the 1 or 2 people (out of a majority of usually 10 or so) who can't afford Europe.

I'm thinking of a euro alternative whislt you folks are globe-trotting, cos it's clear we have enough Euro's interested every year, it always comes down to what 800 pound flight location you guys have chosen this time round :P which seems to be the bit that leads to low attendence. You had one of those last year, so would think maybe you'd avoid that this time round?

point being, please don't forget the reason Mittens was established, so that the most people have the opportunity to meet up in the most convinient way possible. This globe trotting element was never part of the original reasons and as such is why in some recent years attendance at Mittens has been somewhat lacking..? Mittens is no longer doing what it can to get as many AGS people together as it can and now focusses on pleasing a core few friends. This year (and planning of it) is hitting that home once more. Understandably you can never please everyone, but I think it's about time we considered having 2 things running on a year when "Mittens" decides to be in the far reaches of the world.

Mittens - For getting the majority together at the most affordable price (aka Mittens Lite)
Mittens Pro - for those who earn 40k a year & want to explore the world (aka Mittens Deluxe)

You're basically handling a "Mittens Pro" here, aren't ye ;)

ps. This is not a big moan even if it types that way, I had been talking about this with my rents, again they asked why I'm not attending a thing I established. So thought a bit of a muse/thoughts summary would be more useful than just "Thanks but can't" message. Wherever you have it, if I go to it or not, its great that it continues on year on year. And even I can't deny Carribean was a big "we need to do this" from day 1. I'm not as poor as I was back then and it is in the realm of possibility for me nowadays. But damn man, I am not into this big & costly flights thing. I'd like to find the confidence to just flight to NYC or something but even that feels tough nowadays. Kudos to your big travels (and the same for ppl who do it to visit AdventureX). I do wonder though, if Mittens should be reserved for low cost, max people, creative type holiday, and on years where it's obviously a diminished quantity of people wanting to attend, just make it a friends event without the nametag. Cos I do like to go when I can, which is usually one year in every three, because Mittens dictates it. So either we need more than 1 or 1 needs to know when it's a friends only gig, or sth :)

AGA

Not everyone lives in Europe - 'low cost flights' are never cheap for everyone involved; Disco comes every year from the US even though he's not on 40k a year.  The last Mittens in Europe was Portugal, and perfectly affordable for most, and still only had 13 attendees.  Don't read  too much into the cost, I get the impression from at least some of the people who responded that it's other stuff like having busy real lives - children, studies to finish, etc, that's as much of an issue.

The main reasons for having it in different places are that a) going to the same place / country for your summer holidays every year is boring, b) AGS is a global thing, not just European.  If you work full time, you only have so much time to take off to have a holiday, so why not make the most of the opportunity and make a real holiday of it, rather than going to Bognor and wasting the annual leave you could use on going to the Caribbean?

selmiak

I had to look up Bognor, and this looks interesting 8-)

Stupot

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 05/04/2016 13:28:46
I had to look up Bognor, and this looks interesting 8-)
change it to Mittlins!

MillsJROSS

Let's switch it to Europe *if* we can get more people to attend. In all fairness this mittens is too close to last years mittens. We can do the Caribbean the year after. Grundislav was the one who recommended this location and he's not even sure he'll be able to attend it.

We can go back to countries or even rent the same places again. We've had plenty of variety and a fifteen year cycle ain't too shabby. I would be more than willing to just start back where it all began.

Could we get the number of people who would (definitely) go if it was somewhere in Europe?

AGA

I added a poll.

Quote from: MillsJROSS on Wed 06/04/2016 02:33:19
Let's switch it to Europe *if* we can get more people to attend. In all fairness this mittens is too close to last years mittens. We can do the Caribbean the year after. Grundislav was the one who recommended this location and he's not even sure he'll be able to attend it.

Much of Europe is just as close together as this would be...  We usually do Europe for two or three years before an American Mittens, so why not the other way around?

tzachs

Hi, unfortunately we won't be able to attend this year, and the reason is this guy:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/klz69JM.png[/imgzoom]

You kids have fun, though, with all of your nights full of sleep and dreams!

AGA

Still not many responses, but it does look like Europe might be more popular. Cat mentioned Croatia as an option a couple of years ago, so maybe we can consider that as an option. It's somewhere we haven't had a Mittens yet. There are loads of properties available and lots to see and do.

Great news, new parents!

cat

Quote from: AGA on Sun 17/04/2016 18:45:57
Cat mentioned Croatia as an option a couple of years ago, so maybe we can consider that as an option.

Since I assumed that we cannot attend Mittens this year, we already booked another vacation. So chances are pretty low, that we will come even to Croatia.

I will most likely attend AdventureX this year again. This is always an option for those Europeans that can't attend Mittens overseas. I hope to see some of you guys in London :)

MillsJROSS

I'd prefer not to go Croatia.

I'd be game for going back to England. Iceland is also on my personal wish list.

AGA

The UK is a terrible destination for Mittens though, there's not that much to do outside the larger cities, and within them it'd cost a fortune to house so many people.  Iceland could maybe work, but would again hit people's unwillingness to spend money on travelling.

Andail

I'll just throw my cottage on Orust into the mix for the heck of it. We've already been there once (or twice actually , for some), so that kind of goes against the basic mittens tradition of visiting new places, but it has lots of advantages:
* Free housing
* No need to book anything in advance
* Good connections for most Europeans (practically free flights from London with a bit of planning, for example)
* Beautiful scenery with beaches and nature and all that crap, but also close to Gothenburg

If we end up doing a caribbean mittens, I'll even consider having an alternative meeting there anyways.

m0ds

Nice! I agree England is a little bit... unfancy (though probably nice for Mills and others from far away).

Personal opinions...Orust would be great. Honestly I'd prefer somewhere with a pool and not natural jellyfish filled waters, but your offer is too kind to refuse, and as I have not been to Sweden since when was it, 2003? Over 12 years ago? Would definitely highly consider this. A kind offer dude! You're right it does have manby benefits.. the only downside is that there is no nearby shop? I can't remember. I definitely remember not being able to get alcohol, but thats cos I was barely 20 at the time..haha!! ;) It would be a nice place for mills, grundy and such to visit if they haven't already. Though it may not be so nice for couples... I recall maybe 4-6 beds and the rest tents? I wonder how/if it's changed over the years.

PS. I'm not personally part of the "somewhere new" crew. I didn't realize it was 'tradition'. I think that's pretty much just AGA pressuring ;) It's always nice to see new places, but its always nice to take a freebie thats on offer once in a while! Anyway sounds like that can also work as a backup/alternative, if some go ahead with Carrib or such. No reason not to do that. We can Skype each other.

AGA

Of course there's a reason not to do that.  Splitting into two separate smaller groups will result in half the fun for everyone involved.

Orust would be fine, if people are determined to opt for the cheapest option.  It really does look like only a handful of people are going to come regardless of where it is this year though, so it seems a bit silly to keep trying to come up with ideas to try to encourage more people to attend who won't come regardless of the location.

Snarky

Don't count on me or let this interfere with your decision, since it depends on a lot of other things, but if it's in Sweden I might come after all, at least for part of it.

Grundislav

And I'm out as well. I just can't afford to do any traveling this summer, as much as I'd like to.

AGA

So to summarise Andail's offer for those not in the know, he is suggesting he host Mittens at his family's summer cottage on the island of Orust, close to Gothenburg, Sweden.  this was the location of Mittens
#2 in 2003, although the cottage has been refurbished since then.  Gothenburg has two airports, and is accessible for quite cheap from most of Europe.

Monsieur OUXX

I am extremely interested by Sweden.
However I can't seem to find the dates. Am I understanding properly that the final dates will be decided after knowing who's interested?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk