Anitivirus Blocks Build exe

Started by MiteWiseacreLives!, Wed 07/10/2015 17:58:43

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

Hi this just cropped up today.
I'd deleted my compiled folder and went into ags to rebuild my project.
Avast popped up and blocked the creation of the exe and also any tmp files. Flagged them as suspicious.
Infection: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

I had to turn my File System Shield off to be able to compile the game.

AGS 3(Build 3.3.4.2) and using Avast! antivirus
Thanks

Monsieur OUXX

I don't think anyone has encountered that before.

- Have you tried moving your game folder to a less suspect location? (it shouldn't be in C:\something, but rather in My Documents or something)
- Have you been runnig AGs as Administrator? If yes, see what happens if you don't do it. If no, then try it. ;)
- Have you tried building AGS for a different platform (Mac, Linux, etc.). Have a look at this : http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/Prevent_AGS_from_triggering_antiviruses

Crimson Wizard

Happened many times for me with Avira antivirus. It kept blocking my AGS game I built on that PC.

Snarky

I use Avast too, and I often get a popup when I have a new AGS game and the virus shield scans it. But in my experience it always lets it through eventually, I just have to wait a minute or two for the scan to complete.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I do get the same issues as snarky with new AGS games but the problem I'm having now is more like crimsons it wasn't happening before, it's blocking and quarantining my EXT file and then I'm kind of stranded. I'll try moving the folder to better location right now it's on my H Drive. I've been running the same set up and file location for over six months now but I'll try that suggestion and I will report back to here.

Crimson Wizard

MiteWiseacreLives!, can you tell, did you use installer to install your latest version of AGS, or you downloaded it as ZIP and then unpacked?
Since Monsieur OUXX seemingly has an idea this may be related to alternate file streams, it may be worth trying if this occurs only with manually unpacked Editor.

selmiak

can't we just blackmail or massmail avast and other failing Antivirus folks about this and they should just recognise the AGS stream/signature/whateverisneeded?

Mandle

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 08/10/2015 22:24:50
can't we just blackmail or massmail avast and other failing Antivirus folks about this and they should just recognise the AGS stream/signature/whateverisneeded?

Mightn't that leave a flaw in their security where a hacker could simulate the AGS "signature" to slip a virus through under the radar?

I have no idea of course: All of my hacking experience is from Chicky's Bitstream game (laugh)

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'm almost positive I used the installer. I have no issues with the help file..
I moved the folder and its setting off warnings like crazy again about all the exe's, I have to turn off the 'File System Shield' to use the compiler.. There must have been some AVAST update, this was not flagged before.
Is there a way to mark AGS as safe and leave the file protection on?
-running from an administrator account
-just a regular windows build

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 09/10/2015 03:59:24
From what you say it is your game that gets "detected", not AGS. AGS creates game file. You need to mark game file as safe. However, I am not sure if this setting will persist, because when AGS rebuilds game it replaces the file with new one.

For myself I just turned antivirus off when I was working with AGS.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 09/10/2015 10:23:42
Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 09/10/2015 03:59:24
From what you say it is your game that gets "detected", not AGS. AGS creates game file. You need to mark game file as safe. However, I am not sure if this setting will persist, because when AGS rebuilds game it replaces the file with new one.

For myself I just turned antivirus off when I was working with AGS.
Yah, it considers each build as a new threat even if last was marked as safe.
Was hoping for a better solution, but I'll have to keep switching it off. Very annoying since it was not a problem before!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk