Moving issue tracking to YouTrack

Started by Crimson Wizard, Wed 07/10/2015 20:24:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

What will people think if we move the issue tracking to YouTrack service?
YouTrack site.

We need a combined tracker, because currently part of issues are registered at the AGS forum tracker, and another part at the GitHub tracker, attached to our source code.

Both have different ways of displaying and managing tickets, and both have particular cons, IMO, that do not let me choose any of these two easily.

For instance, GitHub tracker has a simplistic yet very flexible way of grouping issues with tags, and is generally good for co-developers, but it could be rather confusing for regular end-users: not only issue filtering is uncommon, but also it is integrated into repository page, with lots of unrelated screen elements.

The forum tracker has a stricter ticket arrangement and probably more common in view, but it is very inconvenient in terms of customization (I fear introducing any additional field would require manually hacking PHP scripts and modifying site database).

YouTrack does not have the mentioned disadvantages, it does not have anything unrelated on screen, is easily customized and automated, and has numerous different ways to display and filter issues.
Also it can do integration with GitHub, thus binding with code repository will be kept.

I think YouTrack was created having both IT and other applications (management, etc) in mind. I am interested in opinion on whether it will be easy to use for regular end-users (AGS members have varied experience with IT stuff after all).

This is a very basic tracker we set up for evaluation:
http://adventuregamestudio.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issues
YouTrack demo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8sWYBe7pO8

=======================================================================================
EDIT: How to login to YouTrack?
You either create a free account specifically for YouTrack, or login using your -
* GitHub
* Google
* Yahoo!
* Yandex
account. To do the latter you need to type in your credentials, then click on the corresponding system logo, instead of the "Submit" button.
=======================================================================================

Recently we have successfully applied for JetBrains Open Source license for TeamCity build server, which gives us free build service with some advantages, and there is a chance we may add another Open Source license for YouTrack service hosted on cloud server, with unlimited number of reporter accounts.

cat

I guess this would require extra registration for users?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Thu 08/10/2015 08:19:17
I guess this would require extra registration for users?
It has its own accounts, I guess this is a disadvantage when compared to forum tracker.

We may give reporter permissions to "guest" account, but IDK how convenient that would be. For instance, you won't be able to get notifications on your issue without proper account.

Crimson Wizard

No opinions? Perhaps it is not that terrible change then? Not much people actually use forum tracker...

Snarky

Registering a new account would be a little annoying, but if it would help you and the other devs, sure. I'm guessing most people are still going to just report issues on the forums. :P 8-)

cat

Allowing guest would be a good idea, as long as it does not create too much moderation effort due to spam.

I find the forum issue tracker not very comfortable to use and hard to get an overview of tickets and their states.

ChamberOfFear

YouTrack does looks a lot more comfortable to use, minus the extra registration issues. My vote is on YouTrack.

blur

I would not use a bug tracker to report bugs if I had to register yet another account for it.

sonneveld

Quote from: blur on Sun 11/10/2015 22:04:02
I would not use a bug tracker to report bugs if I had to register yet another account for it.
That's fair enough.  What if you used your gmail account to authenticate? https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/YTD65/Google+Authentication+Module

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: sonneveld on Mon 12/10/2015 02:46:06
That's fair enough.  What if you used your gmail account to authenticate? https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/YTD65/Google+Authentication+Module
I was actually trying to find out if YouTrack can use other accounts, but apparently checked wrong section of the manual.

https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/YTD65/Managing+Auth+Modules

It seems following accounts can be used: GitHub, Google, Yahoo, Yandex, etc.

Crimson Wizard

Well, I sent an application for the Open Source YouTrack license to JetBrains. If it succeeds (our TeamCity application did) we will be allowed to have unlimited users. If not, we will probably have only 10 registration slots, which would only work if Guest account is given reporter perms. :grin: Or we will have to look for other options.

Sslaxx

Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Crimson Wizard

We received a positive answer, and we will get a free license for 2000 user accounts; but there were some technical difficulties, which are being sorted out now.

selmiak

this :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 27/10/2015 17:25:21

this :(

Do not use it then.
I am more than certain that people will keep posting bug reports on forums, so we will have to scan for these anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Alright, we've just got the license.
We will try to set up authorization modules that would allow people to log in with their Yahoo, Google etc accounts, but I do not know exactly how this will work, I will write back when we are ready.

Crimson Wizard

Right... sorry, I got carried away with work on 3.3.5. I will look into this again on this week.

monkey0506

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 25/01/2016 14:12:55I got carried away with work on 3.3.5.

You're doing an amazing job CW. := I asked about this in part because I have time and motivation to try and get back into contributing... whatever little bit I can. In the mean time, are there any specific tasks that need undertaking that I could help with?

Crimson Wizard

Alright! Good news, I managed to setup GitHub authorization in the tracker.

Just to remind, tracker page: https://adventuregamestudio.myjetbrains.com

How to register using GitHub account: enter your email and password from GitHub, then click on GitHub icon (aka octocat) instead of "Log in" button.
You will be redirected to GitHub, which would ask if you allow Adventure Game Studio application to have an access to your email and such. If you agree, click Approve.
Voila, your YouTrack account has been created, which now use authorization via GitHub.

I will look into integrating few other authorization modules, like Yahoo.

monkey0506

Great! Are you going to merge issues? I can work on that if you'd like.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: monkey0506 on Wed 27/01/2016 22:41:09
Great! Are you going to merge issues? I can work on that if you'd like.
You may try to; it would be important to test out how custom field schema I created will work.

I think first the issues that are known bugs should be added.

Crimson Wizard

Alright, Google and Yahoo authorization activated, now you can login using your GMail or Yahoo accounts.

Crimson Wizard

Just in case, I will repeat these instructions:

http://adventuregamestudio.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/
How to login to YouTrack?
You either create a free account specifically for YouTrack, or login using your -
* GitHub
* Google
* Yahoo!
* Yandex
account. To do the latter you need to type in your credentials, then click on the corresponding system logo, instead of the "Submit" button.

You may also "login as guest" which will still let you read most of the tickets on tracker, but you won't be able to work with them.

Currently we just started using the new tracker (there is just one ticket there while I am typing this post :)), but I hope we will gradually move there completely.
So far we still accept issues posted on forums and AGS forum tracker.

morganw

I couldn't login with my GitHub credentials, even though I could initially "authorize" the account.
QuoteOAuth 2.0 Error
The authorization server does not support obtaining an authorization entity using this method

unsupported_response_type: Response type 'null' is unknown or unsupported

Crimson Wizard

Hmm, I had this error one time before, but it stopped occuring after a while. Or maybe I did something to make it work, but I don't remember.
Actually it does not work for me right now again.

I may ask JetBrains tech support about this.
I myself use yahoo authorization, because github servers are down for maintenance sometimes and you cannot use their authorization at that time.

morganw

It has now logged me in. I'm not sure what has changed but no errors at all, this time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk