Die Zuflucht (The Refuge) - educational game for a scientific study

Started by Kumpel, Tue 13/10/2015 12:46:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Kumpel is proud to announce his first attempt on creating an Adventure Game.

Die Zuflucht (The Refuge)

The Story:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/zGGafEO.png[/imgzoom]

It is the early summer of 2014.
You are Assab Hamri, a syrian citizen and you had to flee your country when the regime of Assad tried to force you into the military to fight against your rebelling countrymen and other aggressive parties in the syrian civil war. On your escape seeking for asylum in a save country you managed to get to Germany. Shortly after, by reasons you don't yet understand, an officer puts you into a train to a place in the federal district of Saxonia, located in Eastern Germany. Now, in a town you can't even pronounce, you are standing in front of a refugee registration center, confronted with an unknown country, culture and language.

Where will you live now?
What will you experience?
Will you find a way through the complicated bureaucracy of getting a refugee status
to start your new life?

"The Refuge" is part of my master thesis in "media communication" with which I am aiming to design a pedagogical yet immersive game, that can transfer knowledge about a specific topic, in this case the process of seeking asylum in germany and experiencing enormous language barriers.

Features:

- Experience a tough life situation as over a million other people are doing it right at this moment
- Visit and examine around 25 Screens inspired by real places in and around the saxonian town Chemnitz
- Meet other refugees and immigrants as well as social workers, officials and several german people with different attitudes towards refugees
- Oblige yourself to learn a new language or try to find other ways to orientate and communicate with strangers
- Get to know the german asylum policy by working yourself through the whole process of asylum seeking and settling in as a refugee in present germany

This game is developed in german only at the moment (actually its dialogs are in german, english and phonetic arabic but the player character talks german*) but could get translated in the future

* which actually is supposed to be arabic..., but because of the aim to give the player the experience of a language barrier my ingame Germany is an arabic-speaking country... if you understand what I mean :-D

Screenshots

Development Progress:

Story: 85%
Scripting: 60%
Graphics: 70%
Sound/Music: atm implementation is not planned

Expected completion date: End of October 2015

AnasAbdin

Very interesting :) The story and graphics are great. I like the character art. Good luck with the production :)

Cassiebsg

Looks interesting with an intriguing plot.
I'll definitely be following this project!

QuoteSound/Music: atm implementation is not planned
You might want to use the "help wanted" thread and see if you could find someone interested in doing this for you. ;)

I caught a spelling mistake:
Spoiler

On your escape seeking for asylum in a save country <-- I think you mean/want safe.
[close]

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Kumpel

Thanks Anas and Cassie for the kind words (and finding faulty spelling ;)) !

Maybe some sounds could work to enhance the atmosphere but I really don't think that any kind of music would, because of the serious topic of the game. It is supposed to simulate an actual life situation and doesn't aim for an inviting adventure feeling as background music usually does. It would break the realism imo.

But I will open a thread for discussions like that soon, I think :)

Retro Wolf

I like the idea of giving the player an "experience of a language barrier", could make for a very unique and interesting game if pulled off correctly!

Blondbraid

It is interesting to see a game about a contemporary crisis and this seems to have a great potential. Best of luck to you! ;-D

selmiak

contemporary is relative. Hurry up though, this seems like a very interesting idea for a game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk