What do you see?

Started by Kumpel, Wed 21/10/2015 16:21:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Hi,

this is supposed to be the intro screen for my game "The Refuge". But I don't know if you can identify the situation. Could you tell me, what is it you see in that picture? Any other suggestions designwise?

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/Cv7Bmyq.png[/imgzoom]

Blondbraid

A man in a dark place looking at a sunset through a window? The color scheme looks nice anyway...

Sektor 13

Looks more like a door and road, than grass with tyre tracks. Or even a picture at first glance.
I would use more vivid colors for oudside.

Gribbler

On small mobile screen it looks like a jukebox :)

Snarky

I thought it was a theater with a stage, but on a closer look I'm not sure. A sunset, with a building that might be a factory (seems to be a smokestack spewing smoke, or it could just be a tower with a cloud behind it).

I didn't even notice the head of the guy at first.

In conclusion, it's too dark and murky to tell.

Cassiebsg

I think also that's too dark (I have a dark screen), so can't see much.
I'm not sure what I see, first I thought it was someone looking at a painting, then maybe "the light at the end of the tunnel", but knowing a bit about your project, I'm guessing that maybe it's a guy looking out at "his home in flames" (or an explosion) from the back of a truck? Like you showing why he's living his home and life as he knows it behind.

Try increasing the contrast, so that the outside is brighter and more light comes into the truck. (If that's what it is)
Think also that the lighting on the inside of the truck might be wrong, like the under the opening you have some "light lines" showing. My eyes say that should be completly dark, cause of the light contrast between the "bright outside" against the "dark inside" where the only light source is outside.

But I might be interpeting your picture all wrong, in that case forget what I wrote. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Gatata03

it looks like a man in a tunnel watching an explosion or something like that.. if its an explosion you should add more colors or contrast to the explosion if you know what i mean, but when Cassiebsg said that the man is watching an explosion or flames from the back of the truck I can totally see it, so i think if the player will know the story well, the player will know what that is.

I hope that you understand me :-D

AnasAbdin

Looks like a man in the back of a train looking at the life he's leaving behind (roll)

Mandle

This thread is really interesting psychologically. I get the feeling the picture is acting like a Rorschach Test on people.

Could be some deep personal insights hiding in those posts folks!

(Only half-joking...)

Kumpel

Veeeeery interesting what you guys see. The Jukebox made me giggle ^^
Thanks for your participation. It helps a lot.

Cassiebsg is correct. It is supposed to be my player character watching his town shattered and in flames on the back of a truck. That "light lines" are just stuff I missed. :-D But is the lighting on the steel-frame correct?

Anyone got an idea how to make the truck more like what it's supposed to be, so that more people than Cassie and Gatata will recognize it? :)

Here is an update with a more dynamic looking flame/ explosion and I chose another color for the tarp and slightly changed the steel frame.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/6ynEdaj.png[/imgzoom]

Sinitrena

I was thinking "theatre" like Snarky at first - and even after you told us, I find it difficult to see the back of a truck in this picture, to be honest. But context certainly helps in this regard. When theres text / voiceover that tells me that he sadly looks back at his hometown, it is easier to see.
But I think the best solution would be movement: The back of the truck stays the same, while the town becomes smaller and smaller and the smoke of the fire gets thicker. Of course, that's unfortunately not really feasible for an intro screen... :-\

SilverSpook

Great start!

Some suggestions:

* Add some details inside of the truck, maybe  something that looks like it could be a door or a handle.  It just looks to me like some very small archway right now.

* The fire does look like a sunset or a big campfire at best, to me.  If you want to communicate that a town -- as in several wooden buildings -- are being razed in flames, then you need more there, there.  And by there I mean bigass flames, engulfing actual buildings.

You don't need to make the pic hi-res or anything, but consider having a partially-disintegrated house' silhouette in dark black over a mass of flames.  Flames licking up through the windows.  You kind of have a disembodied orangey-yellow blob right now, which is why it is a very good psychoanalytical tool.  And that can be intentional, if you want to disorient the player, make the game intentionally vague, but if you want them to get that 'the town is on fire' I don't think it works.

* Things close to that fire should be really freakin' daylight-bright.  A town on fire is like a giant million-watt lamp.  It's a little too muted.  Blast objects, trees, the ground, those non-burning houses with spotlights.

* Brighten up that road a bit so it's easier to tell it's a road.  That will help the player to register the truck as well.

Just my two cents. 

Snarky

Yup. I still don't really understand how that's a truck (I just see a series of archways that I can't work out how they relate to each other spatially â€" I also can't tell that it's supposed to be steel and not stone or cement). Could you post a picture of the kind of truck you mean?

It's still a bit too dark for me, and beyond that I think the shapes are just a bit too vague and generic: specific, identifiable detail would go a long way to help us recognize "this is a burning building, this is the back of a truck", etc.

Martyn

I also thought that was a theater stage!:shocked:
The person is on the balcony and look down on the stage!

Quintaros

Quote from: Martyn on Thu 22/10/2015 13:25:28
I also thought that was a theater stage!:shocked:
The person is on the balcony and look down on the stage!

Ditto.

Mandle

Kumpel

Aaand another one. Do you notice any improvements? Is it now a guy in a truck watching his town? :-\

Thanks for your help guys!

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/QAgKRLA.png[/imgzoom] 

Cassiebsg

I think this is the kind of truck Kumpel has in mind:

Which means you steal frames are way too thick. They should be not much thicker than a finger. And the cover cloth should have folds and falling inside.

I agree with Sinitrena, that you should use this as an animated cut scene, instead of a background.
If well done, you wouldn't even need text to transmit the message. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

LameNick

To be honest the first one looked to me like a guy in a gallery staring at a Chirico's painting and the second one seems to me like a guy looking into a steam locomotive fire box.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

cat

Doesn't AGS have a shake screen function? You could use that (sparsly) to simulate driving on a bumpy road.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk