EU Net Neutrality

Started by RickJ, Wed 21/10/2015 17:20:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RickJ

We don't normally do political activism here.  However, the issue of net neturality affects our AGS activities and so I thought I would share the following email I received today. Sign the petition by ckicking one of the links below if you desire to be herard.

https://savetheinternet.eu/

Quote from: Holmes from FFTF <info@list.fightforthefuture.org>
Hi thereâ€"

We've been working on a ton of things in tandem lately: defending the future of encryption, trying to stop the anti-privacy bill CISA from passing, and preparing our final effort to stop the TPP.

But there's one more extremely important thing happening this week, and it's in Europe.

The European Parliament is about to vote on net neutrality rules, and here's the thing: the current draft rules are terrible â€" much weaker than the rules we won in the US this February.

Can you help? We have a chance to fix it:

Yes, I live in Europe and I'll email the European parliament to defend net neutrality!

I don't live in Europe, but I'm happy to write them anyway!

Whether you live in the EU or not, your voice matters. Part of our strategy is to make Members of European Parliament feel sheer embarrassment at passing rules that are worse than the ones we passed in the US.

Plus, if European telcos can slow any website to crawl, or extort payments for special “zero rating” deals, that affects every one of us, wherever we live!

The good part about all of this is, if we're successful at passing all the amendments we're asking for, the EU rules will actually be pretty good. It's a long shot. Europe's ISPs have been working hard to corrupt this process, and it's really common for EU-level decisions to be ignored by Europe's press. But if we rally now, we can win decisively, and permanently, next week!

Take action now to protect Net Neutrality.

Thanks for helping keep the Internet open everywhere.

~Holmes

P.S. If you want to see us get more involved in Net Neutrality globally, chip in $5 to support our work. We're planning to get more involved in battles outside the US, and the more support we have the better we can protect Internet freedom everywhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk