Day of the Tentacle HD Remastered first trailer

Started by Gribbler, Sat 24/10/2015 09:21:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Gribbler

David Ostman

I think they somehow managed to turn a great looking game into something that looks like someone's hobby project, which isn't bad in and of itself, but in this case... I can imagine DotT looking great in high resolution vector graphics, but this looks lazy.

Sslaxx

Quote from: David Ostman on Sat 24/10/2015 11:03:49
I think they somehow managed to turn a great looking game into something that looks like someone's hobby project, which isn't bad in and of itself, but in this case... I can imagine DotT looking great in high resolution vector graphics, but this looks lazy.
That's what I thought. Makes me think the thing could just be upscaled by how it looks.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Gribbler

I don't know what you're talikng about. It looks great.

Sslaxx

Quote from: Gribbler on Sat 24/10/2015 12:41:11
I don't know what you're talikng about. It looks great.
Not saying it looks bad. It looks lazy. That they've done the bare minimum to bring it up to "modern" spec. Which, considering this is a remaster and not a remake, is fair enough.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Darth Mandarb

I actually really like it.

It's hard to explain... but back when I first played it, I thought the graphics looked AMAZING and crystal clear ('cause we didn't know any better).  So these new updated visuals look exactly like what I thought the pixel graphics looked like back in the day.  It wasn't broke, they didn't fix it, they just upped the resolution.  I dig that.

Fitz

I was skeptical at first, but this actually looks...

The style of the original was basically perfect, so it's a good thing they stuck to it rather than try to do a 3D remake in the vein of Sam'n'Max. That said, I'd love to see DotT reimagined in some unconventional way - say, in claymation.

Snarky

Quote from: Sslaxx on Sat 24/10/2015 12:44:22
Not saying it looks bad. It looks lazy. That they've done the bare minimum to bring it up to "modern" spec. Which, considering this is a remaster and not a remake, is fair enough.

Was anyone clamoring for them to change the graphical look of the game? Here we have the same art, just in higher resolution (seemingly vectorized from the original backgrounds). I'm not sure how it could look any different.

Ideally I'd like the line work on the characters to be a bit more dynamic, but overall I think this is a very faithful rendering of the game in high resolution, which is exactly what I hoped for and expected.

MiteWiseacreLives!

If they made it 3d I would probably vomit.
I am playing through Grim Fantango right now, the remake is nice because it runs fine on my comp. I'm sure the poly count is identical to the original and resolution upgraded, but there are a bunch of glitchy collision things going on, arms turn around backwards and start twitching, characters disappear into the floor... Junk like that. I don't know that they tried to fix any of that stuff or just get the upgrade of the original and commentary done (fixing some of the glitches might have been a nice effort?). It's fun though.

Gribbler

QuoteIf they made it 3d I would probably vomit.
+1

I hope the game will have equally good animation.

David Ostman

All we have are opinions when it comes to personal preference, there's no absolute truths regarding the look of this remastered version :)

Again, it doesn't look outright bad, I think, but it could have been much better. I don't think a remastered version of this game in particular should just involve upressing, it since the result comes out very clinical and a bit soulless somehow.

Again (again), just a personal preference, I'm happy for you guys (and gals) who love it; wish I could be one of you!

selmiak

Looking good with room for improvement, the wall, especially the colorramp on it in the first screen (and the floor there) looks crappy, in the washing room the 'Do not sit on machines' text looks crappy and could easily be fixed by writing it again with a truetype font. But for most of it, the translation from pixels to vectors is pretty cool.

Jack

I like it. I'd love to see the comic book style of Space Quest V get the same treatment.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: JackLucy on Sat 24/10/2015 22:06:29
I like it. I'd love to see the comic book style of Space Quest V get the same treatment.
I love SQ5, a remake would be cool... Playing the original would be cool too though.
I am really into monkey island, but never really played through the remake copies I payed for  :-\

Azure

I believe they already said you can flip back to the original graphics which is pretty great, mainly I'm interested in commentary and audio.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Blue

I dunno.. I think it kinda lost its charm :-/

SinSin

I like the original better, but only because Its a flippin classic!!
The original Kings Quests should maybe get this treatment in a bid to make the all like KQ7 (the cartoony one).
.  Then again they're classics too!
Nostalgia eh,  ain't what it used to be!
Currently working on a project!

Gribbler

I don't think cartoony style would suit KQ5 or KQ6. More like Chains of Satinav style of graphics. That would be great.

Blue

Quote from: Gribbler on Sat 21/11/2015 19:36:34
I don't think cartoony style would suit KQ5 or KQ6. More like Chains of Satinav style of graphics. That would be great.
Yeah KQ5 and KQ6 would not benefit from KQ7's cartoony look. Perhaps they would look prettier with more detailed graphics like Chains of Satinav buuuut then again the charm about the pixelled graphics in those two games would be lost. I think they're perfect as they are. That might of course be due to my own personal nostalgic feeling about them :-)

Gribbler

The trailer for Day of the Tentacle Remastered is up. Check it out below.

http://youtu.be/LUDAUowgS4E

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk