"Gotham" the TV series

Started by MiteWiseacreLives!, Wed 28/10/2015 08:00:44

Previous topic - Next topic

MiteWiseacreLives!

O.K. so I read some pretty negative stuff towards Gotham.
The problem is, I really like it... it's got this unusual gangster movie/comic book and 1980's/right-now  aesthetic going on and I'm hooked on most of the characters.
Am I a simpleton?
Or, as they often find great joy in doing, are the critics robbing the joy from life?

Stromvin

NOonononnoo
Gotham is AWESOME
And everybody who prefers teenage nonsense like Flash or Arrow may do that. But Penguin alone is worth watching the Thing.
I Agree that there is some Goofyness to it, but thats intentional and fits perfectly. Yes lil Bruce sometimes is a letdown and yes, the Story is episodic, but still. One of the better Comic series. Btw Watch Daredevil, also very good, while a lot darker and much more brutal.

greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Ben X

I also recommend this show, it's good fun and far better than the rest of the DC stuff.

The main criticism I've seen of it is that it changes character origins/'psychologies' from the comic books, which is bizarre seeing as the comics have continually changed this stuff since they started and you have to change stuff when adapting to another medium anyway.

Babar

I've enjoyed most of it, but even I find it sort of oscillates in tone between goofy and serious.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Retro Wolf

There's a few filler episodes in there that nearly made me stop watching it. But the last quarter of the series was really good and I'm hopeful for the next season.

Harvey Bullock and Penguin are my favourite characters.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's great (laugh), some might not but that's ok. I don't mind the fact that it can vary in tone, if it was all dark all the time I wouldn't like it as much, variety is more entertaining. As far as the origin stories and time-lines, well DC hasn't been at all faithful to that anyways (from what I have observed).. so a purist fan-boy may not like the adjustments, but they were already unhappy  ;)
Harvey Bullock is a great character, although I think he's fading out of view a little lately...

Stromvin

Isnt it part of being fanboy to always be unhappy?
With anything but THE ORIGINAL THING at least ;)
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Retro Wolf

I actually stopped watching it after binge watching Daredevil. I stopped recording a few shows because they just seemed crap in comparison (end show mourning perhaps! (laugh)). I picked up Gotham again though because it came on Netflix. Glad I did!

LimpingFish

I don't watch much in the way of serial TV shows, as I don't really like the format/formula, but I have watched the odd episode of Gotham.

As a Batman show, it's pretty terrible. But as a crazy, fan-fiction-esque take on the Batman mythos, it seems to be comedy gold!

I've no interest in ever watching The Flash/Arrow/Daredevil/Agent Carter/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D/Supergirl...etc, so I can't really offer up any comparison opinions.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

The best thing to come out of Gotham are the X-Files trailers (nod)

(That's not really fair as I haven't seen it. I kind of pile it in with the other comic shows that I have seen, all of which are okay but not my biggest televisual priorities.)

Stromvin

Kinda off Topic indeed but
YES YES YES X files are back. I so hope they wont mess it up and Keep true to their roots. God! im kind of a fanboy myself...(roll)

Ben X

So basically, the people who have watched more than an episode or two of Gotham like it and the people who haven't don't.

Snarky

Or people who don't like it don't bother to watch more than an episode or two. (roll)

Ryan Timothy B

I've seen four episodes so far, I really enjoy the Sin City / Life on Mars atmosphere even with the odd goofiness of it all. But one person I find outright annoying and who I feel brings the show down a notch is the penguin. First off: why did they feel it necessary to even mention him as "The Penguin" in the first scene with him in it? Why not wait at least a season. The moment they let the viewers know he was the penguin, I rolled my eyes and it's probably due to that why I detest him so (The Penguin in the movies was utter shite).

I wanted to turn the episode off when The Penguin was clearly standing in one spot as he directly stared at the mafia guys listening to every word. At least make it less obvious that he was eavesdropping. How they didn't spot him, I haven't a damn clue.

Perhaps once I'm caught up with the show I'll post my up to date thoughts.

Ben X

Quote from: Snarky on Sat 31/10/2015 12:51:50
Or people who don't like it don't bother to watch more than an episode or two. (roll)

Not judging by this thread! ;)

Ryan, you're having a very similar initial reaction to mine. But the Penguin gets better and better, to the point where I find it really clever that they took a pretty lame character from the existing versions and retooled him into something cool. Like, they enjoyed the challenge of holding off from the Joker or Two-Face and instead beefing up the flipping Penguin!

LimpingFish

Quote from: Ben X on Sat 31/10/2015 11:21:26
So basically, the people who have watched more than an episode or two of Gotham like it and the people who haven't don't.

People rarely stick with shows they don't like.

I stand by my original opinion. I doubt watching more of it would change my mind, as, judging by reviews that I have read - good and bad - the general direction it continues to go in is far from what I would want to see in a live-action show set in the Bat-verse.

But, like I said, as some bonkers fan-fiction take on Batman's rogues' gallery, it seems to be quite successful.(nod)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

MiteWiseacreLives!

Well, IMHO, what's great about it especially the first season is that it is not what you expect it to be at all. It's about Gordon and it's more of a cop vs the mob thing. The second season moves into comic book territory, but that's okay, it's a journey. Sorry, but I'm hooked on it and I don't really watch any series or much tv at all.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Ben X on Sun 01/11/2015 01:42:23
[..]I find it really clever that they took a pretty lame character from the existing versions and retooled him into something cool.
That's what annoys me about him. He's so lame that I get feelings of rage where I just want to punch him in the face. His voice is grating along with that childhood annoying personality. I really hope that what you guys say about him getting better later in the season is true because as he currently is, I doubt I'll ever be able to take him seriously, as a criminal mastermind or even as a person with average intelligence.

"Hey thanks for doing that dangerous mob heist for me guys. Oh hey, while you count your cash, here, have a cannoli - no, no, I don't want one" - Who would predict they're filled with poison. :-\

At least Will Smith's wife, Fish Mooney, has you curious with what she's planning. She at least attempts to play people as though they're pawns in a bigger picture.

Ben X

Oh, hmm, well his demeanour doesn't really get much less annoying! His schemes get a little more sophisticated, though (the cannoli thing - that's just what he pulls on low-grade henchmen. He wouldn't get away with trying that on Mooney!), and you get a little more depth to him. Don't expect miracles, but they definitely give him more to do and get you to start grudgingly liking the character!

LindaBelle

Quote from: Ben X on Wed 28/10/2015 09:37:11
I also recommend this show, it's good fun and far better than the rest of the DC stuff.

The main criticism I've seen of it is that it changes character origins/'psychologies' from the comic books, which is bizarre seeing as the comics have continually changed this stuff since they started and you have to change stuff when adapting to another medium anyway.
What can you also say about the show? I saw the reviews and they are not so good as I thought they`ll be. Don`t understand why is it so unpopular. Or maybe I was wrong?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk