Mouse Buttons

Started by Vincent, Sat 31/10/2015 17:35:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent

Good evening to all AGSer,

I recently bought a new mouse and it has five buttons instead of the classics two or three.
I was trying to map the last two buttons but I can't find a way to make them recognizable to Ags.
When I use the last two buttons they work like (page next and page previous)
Someone know how to do that or if it is possible to do that ?

Grazie mille in advance.

Ghost

As far as I know you can only access 2 buttons (left/right), and the mousewheel (though only for scrolling, not for clicks).
No idea if there is a plugin, but I know of no "vanilla workaround".

Crimson Wizard

E: scrapped the first answer.

In short, what Ghost sais, there are no bindings to 4th and 5th mouse buttons in AGS. And it does not have appropriate constants for them defined (like eForthMouseButton).
The only way you can make these buttons do something in AGS is if you configure their mapping in the system (or mouse driver) and bind them to particular key codes.

Vincent

Ciao Ghost, I am glad to hear from you and from Crimson Wizard.
Thank you very much for the reply.
It is nice to hear that these last two buttons can be mapped somehow inside Ags.
But how to configure their mapping in the system ?
I should don't need to set them to a particular key codes, but only to be recognizable inside Ags.

Ghost

Quote from: Vincent on Sat 31/10/2015 19:07:36
But how to configure their mapping in the system ?
I should don't need to set them to a particular key codes, but only to be recognizable inside Ags.

I think what Crimson means is to use Windows(tm)'s or your mouses system panel to assign keycodes to the surplus mouse buttons, and provide code inside AGS's keypress function. It's a sensible workaround since you can be sure any player, even those without a 5-button-mouse, can easily use the keycode shortcuts, but it remains a bit counter-intuitive- basically, every player would have to reconfigure their mouse just like you in order to get the extra comfort.

Do you really need these extra buttons? If possible, I'd try to reduce the interface functionality, or create a GUI to access the extra functions.

Vincent

Ah, si ! I just realize it now.
I could change the two buttons mapping via Windows to be just for example (new left click and new right click)
so in this way the two buttons can be found on Ags.
I was wonder if we could check a new button entrance for the enumerations mouse buttons.
But as Crimson Wizard said, Ags does not have appropriate constants for them defined (like eForthMouseButton) so that will not make the difference at all.
Actually is just a testing purpose for my new mouse on Ags and needs no workaround luckly :)
Although, for my taste, I will never use these additional buttons of the mouse on an Adventure game.
Grazie mille again Ghost for reply, Greetings.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk