Ideas for a "strictly confidential meeting" scene

Started by Kumpel, Mon 02/11/2015 12:44:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Kumpel

Hello,

for my game project I want to show the player a situation, where the refugee talks with an official who is the asylum application decision maker (what a word monster) supported by an interpreter. But these meetings are strictly confidential. So I thought of some kinda anonymized scene. My idea is this:

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/HT9eqNa.png[/imgzoom]

What do you guys think?

If you see any problems with this, do you have another idea how to show anonymity with keeping some visibility?

cat

I don't fully understand this: I thought you play as the refugee? Shouldn't you be in the same room, then?

The door looks good as a scene setup, but is this just a cutscene? Or will this be a dialog puzzle?

Kumpel

Yes it's gonna be a dialog puzzle. This way I tried to establish a connection beetween the player and the character but still add some distance to show how extraordinary this situation is, where he has to be honest and tell a complete stranger all the bad stuff he lived through which made him seek refuge in europe. So I want to show it to the player from a different perspective. Just plant them in a normal room isn't what I want. A confidential atmosphere would be nice. Any ideas how to realize that in a simple office room with three characters?

Do you think my idea is breaking the consistence of the game too much?

cat

Hm, I think the situation is going to be very stressful for the refugee. I'd probably go the other way round and put the interrogation scene in 1st person view. In this case you not only play the refugee, you ARE the refugee. Sitting in front of the interrogator and the translator, with them talking to you at the same time etc.

CaptainD

Quote from: cat on Tue 03/11/2015 09:28:36
Hm, I think the situation is going to be very stressful for the refugee. I'd probably go the other way round and put the interrogation scene in 1st person view. In this case you not only play the refugee, you ARE the refugee. Sitting in front of the interrogator and the translator, with them talking to you at the same time etc.

I was thinking along the same lines.  Especially if you don't meet this character in the game before this scene (wasn't sure about that?).

Cassiebsg

I think cat has the right idea. If you playing the character and answering the questions, then you as the player should be in the room.
That you have is a nice scene better  for a cutscene or a snip of a BG where the player is outside waiting for his turn.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

I found my idea hard to explain in words, so I made a quick sketch in paint.
I assume that the refugee is a young boy, so I tried using a perspective that made him look small compared to
the adults, and convey a sense of nervousness as he has to explain all the bad stuff he' been through to strangers without
showing any faces.

Kumpel

Thank you all for giving me your thoughts!

@Blondbraid: This idea I think could actually work, but in your perspective and with the 2:1 positioning you create a really frightening atmosphere, which by all means has to be avoided in these meetings (and should not be described as that to the player). Thats why in this situation the interpreter sits besides the refugee or the three form a equilateral triangle. Also I thought about giving the player a hint, what the official thinks about the Stuff you as a refugee tell him/her via three simplified facial expressions of doubt, empathy or "poker face".

@Others: 1st person perspective is an idea I really like and would consider, if this game weren't the base for a scientific study where every change of the POV could influence the educational effect on the player while playing. It could change for example, how the player is processing the information he gets while playing, just because he is more involved, seeing the game through the refugees eyes.

Any other ideas of how to design the scene colorwise to make it look confidential but not like an interrogation?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk