Portrait Suggestions

Started by SilverSpook, Tue 03/11/2015 20:06:40

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

I could use some feedback on a couple of portraits.  If you could, just shout out which one you like better, with maybe a little about your first impression.  Don't worry about technical fixes- I just need the emotional reaction, what the character evokes to you.  Like who do you think this guy is.  You might note what particular detail was most striking though.  Thanks. 

CaptainD

The thing that stands out to me is the expression on his (assuming it's a male of some kind) face - he seems distrustful, appeasing you (or whatever he's looking at).  Seems a little more distrustful on the top picture - possibly due to the heavier shadowing around the right eye.

Possibly most striking however is the fact the despite the fact he's obviously damaged, he doesn't appear at all afraid.

Frikker

I dont have much time to spare tonight to write much, But I did want to point out that when I first saw this character in your Wip thread a while back, my initial reaction was that it was a female. Perhaps its the lack of an adams apple :P

selmiak

on a first impression I liked the first one better, probably because he looks more familiar, more human. The glowing  green eye really gives him that cyborg look.
Just because it's such a humanoid creature, I'd give him a scar over the face ;-D

SilverSpook

@CaptainD: Interesting, thanks for the input!  Yes I was going for fearless distrust. :)

@Frikker: Also interesting.  It is supposed to be a kid -- 'youth' -- to be exact, around 15.  Hopefully the voice acting will sell his gender better, although that's not really the most important thing given he is a robot.

@Selmiak: Yeah, that was one reservation I had about the second version.  More cyberpunky pizazz, more robotic detailing, but also less relatable, possibly.  And he is a fairly central sympathetic character, so if he is too alien, too "Terminator 1", cold-blooded Terminator, that could be an issue.

Thanks all for the feedback, this helps a lot with my chronic decision paralysis!

haroldw

I have very bohemian taste,  so you can't go by me.  But I really like the one with the green eye.  I felt like there has got to be a story behind why only one eye is green.   
an accident ?   was he born that way ?  result of emotional trauma ?
  The added colors on the metal plates accentuate that eye.  I didn't pick up on the finer details like your other commenters, but after reading their comments I noticed the blue/green plate under the lower lip, nice touch to draw attention to the overall expression.
But CaptainD, Frikker and Selmiak, know more about the overall story and probably have a better feel on what you're aiming for.

Blondbraid

I think I prefer the top one as all the colors on his face in the bottom picture looks weird, almost tacky and the green eye looks unnerving, a bit intimidating for a supposedly sympathetic sidekick.

SilverSpook

@haroldw: Thanks for the notes.  That's a good point about the green eye, I hadn't actually thought of that.  I was going to make it red, but then that backstory has been hashed out ad-infinitum :)

The point with the multicolored plates in Ver 2.0 was to attempt to visually rub in the fact that he has been repaired/modded with, let's say, non-factory, non-manufacturer authorized parts.  The plates were supposed to have been cut from other objects (a piece of a car door, a bike frame, etc.) and then repurposed as replacement cheeks plates, chin plates, etc...  Also gives him a kind of Picasso-esque cubism that I kind of liked, but it might come off as too tacky / cutesy to certain audiences.

@Blondbraid: You should see the T-800-after-shot-in-the-face-by-cops version!  Scare the pneumatics outta ya!

MiteWiseacreLives!

I get a 'this kid looks sad and pouty' from the top one and find in the bottom version he looks more sad and misfortunate. Mostly from the way the eyes and mouth come across.

SilverSpook

Thanks MiteWiseacreLives!  Yeah the bright eyes does something to the dark damaged look.  Thanks for pinpointing it!

I combined some of the kaleidoscopicism (should be a word) of portrait 2, and toned the CCTV mech-eye more like Portrait 1, cause I at least wanted some scribbled iota of detail in the cornea/iris.  Also kept the scratches, because this is a slumbot millionaire type character (In a #RobotLivesMatter sort of sense). 

Also, I've got him to emote!  Trying to fake ventriloquist doll brows but I might need to suggest some sort of flexy graphene material or segmented chrome, or rubber for the lips to get away with all the smiling and smirking and frowning and rictus (rictii?) later on.

Stromvin

hi there.
My two Cents ;)
number 3 definately looks creepy as hell... as if... well he or she is gonna eat me alive. Number one Looks good, Little depressed, but believable in Expression. Number 2... clear whats intended, but hard to believe for me. Theres something off about the left eye.

Greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

SilverSpook

Thanks for the input, Stromvin!  The left eye as in his left or the viewer's left?

Creamy

Hello Silverspook, 2 more cents?

IMO, the first one looks very well because you drew it entirely with a "fearless distrust" expression in mind.

In the third picture, his mood changes completely.

Let's take a look at Mr Cage :

His whole mouth moves up when he smiles. His cheeks become prominent and his eyes wrinkle.
Your character is so detailed that you can't render that with minor adjustments of the first picture.

Stromvin

sorry ;)
Viewers left, his right.
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Kagama

I like the design of your port3ait apart from the many cables sticking out wich kind of bugs me.Maybe make them different lenghts?

SilverSpook

Quote from: Creamy on Wed 16/12/2015 20:50:03
Hello Silverspook, 2 more cents?

IMO, the first one looks very well because you drew it entirely with a "fearless distrust" expression in mind.

In the third picture, his mood changes completely.

Let's take a look at Mr Cage :

His whole mouth moves up when he smiles. His cheeks become prominent and his eyes wrinkle.
Your character is so detailed that you can't render that with minor adjustments of the first picture.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, Creamy.

I see what you mean about the smiling expression.  But the full human expression here doesn't really fit because he is a robot with rigid metal plates which don't all move like a human's.  The expressions have to be a little stiff.

Creamy

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
His smile looks more unsettling than reassuring to me right now.

On another note, I like your picture with the tubes and the sitting king.

SilverSpook

I should add that it is more a smirk than a genuine smile in that picture.  It isn't supposed to be warm and fuzzy really.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk