Advice needed to start something with my illustrations (pretty please!)

Started by Snake, Wed 04/11/2015 16:34:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

With a cherry on top of COURSE!

Hi guys, long time no see. I've been away for a long time due to moving to another state. But here I am now with the internets weehee!

So as the subject line says, I need some helpful advice to point me in the right direction. I want to do something with my art, whether it be freelance and/or start something completely for myself, like say a comic strip/cartoon show.

Not only have I wanted to do something with illustrating/cartooning my entire life and it's finally time to actually DO something about it, I also NEED to do something about it now - the sooner the better, I just don't know where to start. Money has always been a huge issue, but now it's even worse, but anyway, I won't bore you with backstory.

What I have for ideas so far include creating an ETSY page and selling artwork on there. ETSY seems pretty limitless when it comes to the possibilities of what you can sell, and there's a ton of other people also selling artsy-fartsy stuff and illustrations so that's a great sign. I have also found a site (well actually my wife found it) where I can have an online portfolio. Seems like a pretty good idea for freelancing some artwork.

Now what I REALLY REALLY want to do is create a cartoon show. I already have a bunch of characters (characters I've had for YEARS and an addition of a few new characters), the storyline, tons of ideas/jokes, I can do all the voices myself, I can animate it myself and I can also do the music myself. Of course that's a lot for one guy to do himself, but that's all I am right now. Originally I was planning on doing this all in AGS, only because I know how to use it. It would be simple to do. But now I am wondering.

I have looked for animation programs, I've looked in to Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop and neither I know how to use. What would be the best program to animate a cartoon? Is there anything you use yourself? I'm looking to do more along the lines of traditional animation, but I'm not 100% opposed to vector... even though in most cases I can't stand it.

Another possibility for work has always been illustrating for children's books, or books in general that call for a cartoony-style. I don't do any serious type work, like say what MARVEL characters look like. But again, I don't know where to start looking for this type of thing.

I can also do backgrounds for cartoony adventure games too, but I guess that would be another post in the help wanted thread.

Sorry for the long post! Any help with giving me some ideas and fingers pointed in the right direction would be most appreciated! I just don't know where to start looking.

Thank you!
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

[delete}

Pencil2D is a free animation software. I'm using it, yet it still has some flaws. Maybe next year, it'll be ready for showtime.

Grok

QuoteNow what I REALLY REALLY want to do is create a cartoon show.

You might want to take a look at a freeware program called Web Cartoon Maker.
link

Darth Mandarb

Illustrator and Photoshop are great but they have a very steep learning curve.

I am a Photoshop fan (but I've been using it for almost 20 years so I'm extremely familiar with it).

I love Anime Studio!

It is, mostly, vector but you do not have to use it as such.  It is also quite nicely suited for raster as well.  There is a free trial you can download to get a feel for it and the "pro" version (linked above) is ... reasonably priced.  You might do well enough w/ the Debut version and it's much cheaper.  I'm not sure what the limitations are vs. the pro version.  I have Pro 10 (haven't upgraded to 11 yet).  I will always be a fan of the pixels but vector is much easier to work with!

Good luck!

Snarky

Toon Boom is, I believe, the market leader in animation software. There are no doubt other alternatives that are cheaper/simpler, though.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 09/11/2015 13:30:18Toon Boom is, I believe, the market leader in animation software.

I have it as well.  It's pretty great.  I prefer Anime Studio (personal preference) but Toon Boom is a very close second.

Snake

Guys, I want to thank you so much for your input and suggestions. I love the looks of both Toon Boom and AnimeStudio. I'm definitely going to look in to those programs.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk