Indiana Jones nazi villain

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 05/11/2015 14:36:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

I've tried to give the little sprite personality and to have the fetures of the drawing (low, large mouth, hook nose, that weird haircut from the 30's...) but I'm not very good at this.
Also I'm not very happy with the monocle.

If someone feels like making this sprite awesome, then be my guest.

Monsieur OUXX

Actually I shouldn't have drawn him shorter. He should be the same size as Indy.

Blondbraid

Just my opinion, but I think he looks too much like a recolor of the Penguin from batman. What type of villain is he? What is his personality? Goofy or intimidating? Is he an evil genius or does he rely on brute force?

[delete}

Not too fond of the sprites, sorry.

But you are getting better and better.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 05/11/2015 20:42:27
Just my opinion, but I think he looks too much like a recolor of the Penguin from batman.
Do you mean the portrait or the sprite?
I think the portrait conveys quite well who he is: neither an evil genius nor a brutal guy. Both: Quite litterate, elegant when he appears in the high society, but he's an officer in the nazi army and is very revengeful and merciless, even brutal when he realy wants something.

Monsieur OUXX

@Satyr: Very good redraw but don't you think the head is a bit big and high up?
PS: who the hell are you? :)

cat

In the portrait, he looks like he is smiling. Is this intentional?

Blondbraid

QuoteDo you mean the portrait or the sprite?
Mostly the portrait, but a bit of the sprite as well, it's the hook nose and monocle in combination with him looking short and chubby I say.
Changing one of these things would probably help him look less like the penguin. If he is an officer in the Nazi army he probably shouldn't be
particularly fat unless he's an armchair general who makes his minions do all the hard work for him. And he seems to have Spock-eyebrows, which looks
kind of weird to me, but otherwise I'd say this seems to be a villain with pretty great potential to be a memorable adversary to Indy.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 06/11/2015 13:35:24
QuoteDo you mean the portrait or the sprite?
Mostly the portrait, but a bit of the sprite as well, it's the hook nose and monocle in combination with him looking short and chubby I say.
Changing one of these things would probably help him look less like the penguin. If he is an officer in the Nazi army he probably shouldn't be
particularly fat unless he's an armchair general who makes his minions do all the hard work for him. And he seems to have Spock-eyebrows, which looks
kind of weird to me, but otherwise I'd say this seems to be a villain with pretty great potential to be a memorable adversary to Indy.
I can't say I understand where all that is coming from. The portrait wasn't made by me, and when I saw it, I thought "wow that's cool portrait of a seemingly-soft man who is in reality very vicious"; but when I read what you wrote it all sounds exaggerated to me.

@cat: Maybe it's the scaling down that makes him smile. Well, I mean, he is sort-of smiling, but it's not a warm, engaging smile. EDIT: yes, it's definitely the scaling down. Nothing that can't be fixed with a touch of "Liquify" in the large drawing before scaling down.

But anyway could we focus on the sprite, please? lol.

Blondbraid

QuoteBut anyway could we focus on the sprite, please? lol.
I think that the sprite looks a bit short and chubby compared to Indy, and should maybe be a bit taller. But this is just my personal opinion, and I tend to over analyze things. (roll)
As for the rest it's a nice sprite which fits neatly along the Indy sprite next to him.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Blondbraid on Fri 06/11/2015 15:44:54
As for the rest it's a nice sprite
What about the face? Is it not too noisy? How do you perceive the monocle?

Creamy

QuoteHow do you perceive the monocle?
You could get rid of the black outline and have a white outline on the right side (reflection) that blends in his face towards the left.

Otherwise, the portrait looks great.

Blondbraid

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 06/11/2015 16:32:23
You could get rid of the black outline and have a white outline on the right side (reflection) that blends in his face towards the left.

I fully agree, looking back at the sprite I probably wouldn't have noticed he was wearing a monocle if it wasn't for the big portrait. Since a monocle is only worn on one eye, how will the sprite facing the opposite direction look like?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 06/11/2015 16:32:23

Good idea. My issue was that a light outline would conflict with the light pixel meant for the sharp nose. But I didn't think of adding a light pixel on the right.

Monsieur OUXX

I think I nailed it. And thanks to the glorious 32-bits, transparency allows to draw sub-pixel elements, like the string holding the monocle. All hail 32 bits.

Mad

Ahh, you've already updated your sprite...

Great improvement! I especially dig the new monocle.

Since I've already had a stab at it, here it is anyway

[imgzoom]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab12/Mad1978/Mobile%20Uploads/1446839586543.png[/imgzoom]

I tried to keep it as true as possible to the portrait. I particularly wanted to exaggerate the hooked nose and fleshy lips.

By the way,  totally love the portrait. It's loaded with character!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Looks great! When are we going to get an update on this game? Anticipation is killing us 8-0

[delete}

Apologies, but I still don't like it.

Monsieur OUXX

Hey I actually like the military jacket ;)
But if you could say who you are that would be great. I think I know who this is: who else could draw plenty of fun concepts of sprites instead of doing the one task that they explicitly asked for? (that animal animation) ;)

@mad: I'm always a bit worried about the size of the face.

@everyone: which do you think is better? mad's one, or my last edit, or Seven Cities' edit?

Mad

I wouldn't be too concerned about slightly different head sizes. In this example there's really just a pixel in it, and the distances between the eyes are actually the same in both of them.
That being said, heads can vary in size. Judging from the portrait view, the character in question has quite a large toady face. So, why not try to convey that with the sprite.

Just my two [insert currency of choice].

On the other hand, I'm super excited about this project, so GET ON WITH IT! ;)

Snarky

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Sun 08/11/2015 23:30:41
@everyone: which do you think is better? mad's one, or my last edit, or Seven Cities' edit?

Seven Cities' looks a bit goofy to me, and much younger than the portrait. (Guybrush with a paunch and monocle?)
I like Mad's latest verion of the monocle, which I think looks a bit too big and bright in your edit. Otherwise I prefer your version overall.

I also wouldn't change the portrait. The expression is ambiguous: sometimes it looks like a smile, sometimes like a frown. I like that.

Mandle

The portrait reminds me of Mike Myers for some reason...Something about the eyes and mouth I think...

selmiak

mad's second version now looks really fitting!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Monsieur's version is more aesthetically pleasing, but I like the way Mad's head (centre sprite) is unusual and unique to the character.

[delete}

Don't like the sprite, sorry.

Snarky

Hey, it's a cool sprite! Just maybe not quite this character. If he has a good-for-nothing son who's only been hired because of Nazi nepotism, your sprite would be perfect with just a little bit of tweaking!

Frikker

Not that its hugely important but I thought I would mention it, when I first saw the portrait I immediatley thought "Eddie Marsan" http://www.aveleyman.com/ActorCredit.aspx?ActorID=50580 (scroll down for the better pics)

Thats enough useless information for one day.

Monsieur OUXX

Amelie, you really, really need to stop withdrawing every sprite that you think don't meet expectations, because that causes a lot of stress to think that everything you made can disappear overnight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk