Background Blitz - PYROTEK

Started by SilverSpook, Mon 09/11/2015 01:38:58

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

DISCLAIMER: This Background Competition thing is not responsible for any acts of arson, terrorism, self-immolation -- suicidal, political, or otherwise -- or any other illegal, pyromaniacal acts carried out by contestants, voters, admins, Chris Jones' cat, etc...

Ever since Prometheus stole fire from the gods and destroyed Ridley Scott's Hollywood clout, man/woman has used fire as a tool for defense from big toothed things, cooking, the clearing of forests, civilization-wide self-destruction, as a spectacular crutch to get butts in theater seats, as an incineratory spice added to an otherwise flat story scene.

Fire is technology.  Fire sustains life.  Fire takes life.  Fire is pain.  Fire is drama. 

Fire is an awesome dynamic lighting source.  Use it!

Create a background that involves a fire of some sort.  A candle flame beside a bed, a bonfire in the forest, a forest fire, an alternate-history Dresden Firebombing, a nuclear holocaust, a space station on fire, a pair of pants- on fire.  I will admit metaphorical interpretations of the "fire" theme, such as a redhead -- provided she is ridiculously, flaming hot.  Hot enough to start a hot-war in Troy or a flame war between the internet feminazis and hot-headed manosphere.

The voting powder keg will be ignited Dec. 8th.  (Is that right?  Let me know if that's too long.)

Let the pyroclasm begin!

EDIT: Sorry I forgot the categories!  They are:

Artistic execution
Playability
Most original/creative use of fire in a scene
Hottest - I leave this one as a wild card to be interpreted by each judge.  Use it for that extra special work that set you on fire but with excitement but you couldn't quite fit into another category.

selmiak

SilverSpook

That one's scorching hot, Grok, despite being made of water (color?)!  You have the chances of winning this competition of an asbestos dog chasing a paper cat through hell.  Perhaps I'll have the trophies be 'paper' for bronze, 'asbestos' for silver, and 'napalm' for gold.

Monsieur OUXX

Haha I love the creativity on this one, the description is almost better than the drawings.

Kumpel

Okay. Here is #HOT³ #ONFIRE³ #PYROTEK³

Please don't ask me, how the heck I have something like this in my mind, when the theme is "Pyrotek"... :X

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/dTL0WeI.png[/imgzoom]

I actually like this character. Maybe i will someday work more on this Flaming Hot Chili Lady.

SilverSpook

HAHA!  That is SUUUUPER HOT, Kumpel!  I think you're going to give Grok a run for his money!

She's the perfect femme fatale for that veggie tales show.

Frikker

i have a background that I recently made for another competition. Although it is perfect for this competition, I wasnt sure if I was allowed to submit it or not but ive just noticed that Silverspook, you submitted and won last time with a background for your game. My piece is all my own work from scratch, digitally painted in Photoshop so Would it be ok to submit? I wasnt sure if submissions had to be specifically made for the competition or not? Ill conmpletely understand if anybody objects.

SilverSpook

Frikker: The background I made for the Phone booth competition I did make during the time of the competition with the theme in mind, though I am planning to use it in the game as well.  I guess if the other competitors are ok with it we can admit it.  Or you could be like MONSIEUROUXX and bow yourself out.  :)

Kumpel

Competition is the essence of this thread! I don't care, when you did it. Submit it!

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: SilverSpook on Tue 24/11/2015 01:46:49
Or you could be like MONSIEUROUXX and bow yourself out.  :)
I "bowed myself out" only because the composition of my scene was not built around the phone booth. Not because it was related to a game I'd be making. That's perfectly fine with me -As I said, provided it's not obvious that the competition's theme is just an accessory shoved into an entirely unrelated scene.

========

On a different note: I think I'll enter the competition, but I think the background will need to be animated, to do the pyrotek some justice. I know that animation requires an entirely different set of skills. Sorry if that sounds unfair.

Cassiebsg

It's SilverSpook that is hosting the competition, but in previous competitions the rules as been "you have to make it (start) and submit it during the competition run time". Meaning that if you already started or made it before the competition was started, then theoretically, should not be submitted.
There is no rule that you can't make a background that fits the theme and your game. I use this competitions as "push myself" to make a BG for my game. If the theme fits, then I use it. :) So far I have only made one BG that am not planing to use in one of my games. (nod)
So feel free to submit stuff that you will be using for your game, just make sure you do it during the competition. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SilverSpook

Hm.  What was the other competition you made the background for, Frikker?  I don't personally have a problem with you submitting a background you made for another competition, but just know that it may rub some of the community the wrong way. 

Frikker

it was for the CG Cookie apocalyptic character contest in August.

however If there has never been anything in the rules that an entry can have been made before the competition then it is unfair for me to submit. As you say, opinions would be divided and without rules stating anything, people will have every right to disapprove. I would have only submitted it if the rules clearly allowed entry of past work but since they dont say either way then I dont want to interfere or cause bother.

Im sure most people assume that a submission for a competition should be made specifically for that one, at that time, its only fair.

If you dont mind, I would like however to put it in as a non entry if thats ok, just so people can enjoy a bit more art , and possibly other participants may get some inspiration or ideas from it?

SilverSpook

Yeah, go ahead and throw it up there!  The more art, the more to BURN!  :D

Monsieur OUXX

There is some palette cycling going in in there.
Now, all I need is to find a way to export this... Not an easy task!

Frikker

no worries, ill have to create a photobucket account tomorrow. unless there is an easier way to post pics these days?

SilverSpook

I use Imgur.com personally, works pretty well and it's fast!

@Monsieur OUXX: Looks great!  Those coals are really smoldering, if that's what they are!  Excellent color scheme too.  So the palette cycling is not visible yet?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: SilverSpook on Thu 26/11/2015 01:57:23
So the palette cycling is not visible yet?
No. I've made it and still working on exporting it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk