AGS Editor gitignore

Started by Zack Casey, Mon 09/11/2015 19:53:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Zack Casey

I'm working on an adventure game and using Git to keep a backup. But aside from build folders, what can be Git ignore and what can't? This is what I have.

# Adventure Game Studio
# ------------------------

# Compiled

_Debug/
_Release/
Compiled/

# User

*.bak
*.user
*.lock
acsetup.cfg

Crimson Wizard

I have this in my project:
Code: text

Compiled/
_Debug/
_OpenInEditor.lock
Game.agf.bak
Game.agf.user
backup_acsprset.spr

(idk what "_Release" is, is it a custom folder?)

Aside from that, there is a problem with room files (CRM). They get recompiled whenever global script and custom modules are modified. If you are picky, you may remember when you haven't changed actual room file (background, object, properties) and don't stage these files.

Zack Casey

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 10/11/2015 08:43:08
I have this in my project:

Compiled/
_Debug/
_OpenInEditor.lock
Game.agf.bak
Game.agf.user
backup_acsprset.spr

I like that. Think I'll make a copy in gist copy of that.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 10/11/2015 08:43:08(idk what "_Release" is, is it a custom folder?)

Probably was and I forgot.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 10/11/2015 08:43:08Aside from that, there is a problem with room files (CRM). They get recompiled whenever global script and custom modules are modified. If you are picky, you may remember when you haven't changed actual room file (background, object, properties) and don't stage these files.

Huh, interesting. I'll remember that.

cat

I'm currently setting up a new project and was wondering about the AudioCache - I guess that should be ignored as well? And what does the _blank file do?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Thu 12/11/2015 20:07:24
I'm currently setting up a new project and was wondering about the AudioCache - I guess that should be ignored as well?
That is not an easy question, at least not before we release a new version that saves relative paths if original sound files are inside game project folder.
The idea of repository is to have a source of project that could be quickly retrieved and compiled. Having AudioCache in your repository will help you do that, but having only original sound files - probably not.
This will change with the new version where you could keep original files inside your project folder without loosing links to them.

I am not sure what "_blank" is, that "rings a bell" but I cannot remember what it is.

cat

cat

Am I correct in assuming that now with relative paths to the audio files in the newest AGS versions, that I now can safely git-ignore the audio cache? Seems like it is rebuilt on compile anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 09/11/2016 21:17:50
Am I correct in assuming that now with relative paths to the audio files in the newest AGS versions, that I now can safely git-ignore the audio cache? Seems like it is rebuilt on compile anyway.
It saves relative paths to audio that is inside game project folder only, but yes, if your audio consist only of those you should be able to move your game around without AudioCache folder and it will get recreated.

cat

Monsieur OUXX

Necroposting to add some new info :

If (like us) your AGS project contains subprojects, then you can make .gitignore ignore the exact path and apply the filters recursively by using the "**" syntax :
/**/Compiled/**
/**/_Debug/**
/**/backup_acsprset.spr
/**/Game.agf.bak

eri0o

This is my .gitignore, I have an aditional file under Compiled/Windows called vXYZ.txt where I write my changelog, and I wanted to keep it under git. I ignore memory dumps that happen when I have a crash.

Spoiler
Code: ags

# Adventure Game Studio git ignore
# --------------------------------
# Compiled
_Debug/
_Release/
Compiled/
!Compiled
Compiled/*
!Compiled/Windows
Compiled/Windows/*
!Compiled/Windows/v*.txt

# User
_OpenInEditor.lock
Game.agf.user

# backups
Game.agf.bak
backup_acsprset.spr

# memory dumps
*.dmp

[close]

Crimson Wizard

I noticed this was not mentioned yet. There is a number of temporary intermediate output files that appear in the project's root directory for a split second during compilation, but if process breaks for some reason they may remain there.

<Gamename>.exe
game28.dta -- main game data, before getting packed into exe
~aclzw.tmp -- temporary file created during sprite or room background compression.

Full .gitignore from my latest project:
Spoiler

# Output and cache
_Debug/
Compiled/
AudioCache/
Crashcar.exe
warnings.log

# Backup files
*.bak
backup_acsprset.spr