Does video playback work on Linux?

Started by qptain Nemo, Sat 14/11/2015 23:02:57

Previous topic - Next topic

qptain Nemo

Are videos supposed to work in the Linux port yet? I've seen some mentions of it using gstreamer when doing a cursory search but I can't even see MPEG-1 videos even though I have all the gstreamer plugins installed. Is it looking for some specific version maybe?

BigMc

The only video library that AGS is linked to on Linux is libtheora, so I would say if at all, only Theora videos can work.

qptain Nemo

I see, thank you.
Well, I hope proper video support is at least on some sort of to do list somewhere.

Sslaxx

"Proper" video support? Video playback is patent hell, never mind anything else. Theora is, frankly, the best of a range of bad/non-existent options available under Linux. VLC can convert videos to Theora format if necessary, and there're other tools that can do it too.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

qptain Nemo

I don't like issues brought on by video playback either but all engine ports must have the exact same capabilities.

Also what do you mean by non-existent options available under Linux? How is any of this specific to Linux? You can't play many formats without installing codecs on Windows and you can install them on Linux as well (again, gstreamer plugins for example). How exactly is that in any way limited? Or why would it be any less problematic to play patented formats on Windows? You can make the engine optionally dependable on any set of packages providing the desired functionality, which kills all birds with one stone, getting rid of the licensing/patent issues responsibility from the developer in particular.

Also is it possible to implement your suggestion for an existing game? I converted a video file to theora and replaced the original with it but it still doesn't play it.

edit: I'd like to note though, that I do understand why limiting video support to theora on all platforms is a good way to move forward and agree with it, though. If that's the case with the current engine, fair enough. I still need help with getting an old game with mpeg-1 video to work if possible, by converting videos or else. Additionally I just remembered that video playback didn't work for me either in Ouroboros even though that game did use theora encoded videos. So I'd like some clarifications on that too. I mean, you still haven't directly answered my original question. I'm using 3.3.0.1158. Is that not recent enough?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk