Chronicles of the Sword AGS Project

Started by DarkWolfLP2014, Wed 24/08/2016 03:25:25

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWolfLP2014

Hiya, I'm new obviously. Just disregard the fact that I am new.

I have an insane idea and I am going to try and rip assets from a very old game that's completely abandonware at this point. Chronicles of the Sword (1996) was a terrible adventure game, but its a turd that I have affection for, for whatever reason that may be.

I'm not creating this thread to ask for help, get recruits to tackle this idea. Just want thoughts about the whole thing by itself. I wish to only make a working game as it's insanely difficult to get the PC version working on modern day machines and the PS1 version emulated completely removes the voice acting completely.

Also want to make improvements on hotspots as the original game has the worst hotspots in existence. Also possible to make some newer improvements and use the assets to also create a Chronicles of the Sword game that doesn't suck as bad.

I've chosen to undertake this because I'm bored and I want something to keep me busy. Also I like this game, for whatever reason. Because I'm a very strange individual that probably needs help. Maybe.

Thoughts?

Mandle

GO FOR IT!!!

At the least you will gain experience with the AGS engine and game-making/coding in general...

If it's a full-length game I have my doubts you will ever get the project finished, as by then you will probably have gained enough experience with AGS to want to start creating your own stuff...

But creating a remake is a decent stepping-stone to making your own games, and also might stun you at how much work it takes to make even a sub-standard game...

DarkWolfLP2014

Yeah, but I am the most weak at scripting. I still want to give AGS a fair shot and see if I can use it. Cause when I see scripting, I usually try to learn, cannot grasp it, then give up. Since it's a foreign alien tongue to me.

Danvzare

You want to remake an old abandonware game that no one likes, using the same assets.
Yep, you should definitely go for it. (nod)

There's been plenty of remakes of games made with AGS, a few of which were made using assets from the original, but usually edited (such as Maniac Mansion Deluxe, which had more colours added). At least you know this game won't get a cease and desist.
And like Mandle says, the experience you'll get from it will be invaluable.

Although I'm slightly offended that you called a game from 1996 a very old game. I was born two years prior! >:(

DarkWolfLP2014

Quote from: Danvzare on Wed 24/08/2016 09:51:05
Although I'm slightly offended that you called a game from 1996 a very old game. I was born two years prior! >:(

I was born in 1986 so I feel way older then you. However, speaking of which. I will be needing help. I know there are tutorials online for AGS and I am watching youtube videos and the like. Have no idea how I am going to scratch the surface unless someone mentors me. Which, no one has ever done. lol

Slasher

You may well be biting off far more than you can chew.

Trying to make a game just because you are bored is not the best excuse, you need passion.

If you have passion and the skill go for it...

I wish you luck in your quest.

DarkWolfLP2014

I would have the full passion that indie developers have if I knew how to do it effectively. Although it's just an idea, if I bump into too many walls with no progress, then I'll more then likely find something else. It's nothing to do with you guys, it's just how I am.

Slasher

Why not make a similar game from scratch.. that way you control all aspects. Then later on maybe go for the real deal?

Darth Mandarb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk