How would you CREATE and then EXPORT palette cycling?

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Wed 25/11/2015 12:11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hello, the game I'm working on is 32-bits but I'd like to simulate palette cycling for an animation.

Question 1: what software? I thought that'd be an easy one and launched GrafX2. However I can't seem to make the palette cycling work properly, and can't find any tutorial. However I'm almost certain that there's something fishy going on (a bug on the most recent Windows?)
I'm reluctant to use something that's not free or something that has a steep learning curve (I also have an efficiency constraint here). I could use Deluxe Paint in DosBox but I'm fairly certain there has to be a better way. I'm very open. If you're telling me that I can use Photoshop or After Effects with whatever filter, I'm OK with that.

Question 2: export process. Ideally, I'd like to have several cycles running simultaneously. If it turns out to be too complicated, I'll just make the longer cycles multiples of the shortest cycle, to get a perfect loop. Or I'll just export the image in several pieces, with one cycle in each piece. It doesn't matter, it'll all be AGS Loops in the end. But my issue is: I need to export the whole thing into separate frames and I wish to avoid as many bad last-minute surprises as possible.

By the way if you simply know a program that records the screen and exports it as a lossless video, then I'm in. This way all I have to do is to "capture" my Deluxe Paint window.

Just to make things clear: there will be no scripting involved. The plan is only to generate a regular animation, and then import it into AGS.

Fred Five

VLC Screen Capture

Fraps

Don't know if either of the above has the ability to export actual frames, but this can be done in After Effects.

Monsieur OUXX

Cool, thanks!

In the meantime I've finally understood how the palette cycling in GrafX2 works (that is a pile of super counter-intuituve interface choices, but eh, that won't be changed in 2015)

selmiak

GFX2 is open source, you could always code a sequence-exporter function yourself...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 25/11/2015 15:23:48
GFX2 is open source, you could always code a sequence-exporter function yourself...
Yeah, RIGHT...

I think I'm gonna go brute force and whip up a very small program (based on some SDL tutorial, it shouldn't be too hard) that will just open my drawing, do the palette cycling, then export the frames one by one.
...Because so far, I've never ever managed to capture a video game animation using a capture tool (the game's fps never match the capture frequency).

EDIT: actually, I could do it with AGS ;-)

selmiak

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 25/11/2015 17:09:00
EDIT: actually, I could do it with AGS ;-)

8-0
what about skipping the exporting and reimporting then and just colorcycle that inside AGS?!?!?!

Snarky

Presumably because the whole game isn't going to be 8-bit. :P

Monsieur OUXX

Selmiak, of all the people, how do you NOT know the color depth of "the game I'm working on"? ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D := := := :=

selmiak

yeah, let's just convert everything to 8bit to make colorcycling possible for one room. Sounds about reasonable (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk