trying to improve on my animations (walk cycle)

Started by Dropped Monocle Games, Wed 25/11/2015 21:11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dropped Monocle Games

as the title says, for our next game I'm tying to up my game on animations
so I'm looking for some feedback on this cycle, I want to make it the best I can :)

updated animation

• Fixed left arm backswing
• Fixed the front leg twitching forward
• Added a bit more movement to both arms
• Made hair move with head a tiny bit
• Fix the left hand being backwards (still not happy with it tho)
• Added Movement to hairline
• Added Hip movement
• Less movement on buttons and eyes
• better foot movement?

Mandle

VERY NICE! The only thing I would comment on is that for me her right arm seems to start the backswing a little too abruptly. Perhaps just a tad more deceleration at the end of the foreswing and slower acceleration into the start of the backswing?

selmiak

what mandle said, pretty cool, I like the skirt moving with the leg, but yes, the arm is moving very abrupt and imho the front leg shoots to the front when moving forewards. maybe it just looks strange while she is walking in one place and looks good when the sprite is actually moving while playing the animation...

Problem

The arms look a little stiff to me. The lower arm and the hands should "swing" a little more. Apart from that, it's really nice.

selmiak

Her face looks really 3d-ish (with a touch of strange) with that movement.
maybe let her braids bounce some more. Well, there are other nice body parts you could add to her that bounce while she's walking :=

Dropped Monocle Games

thank you all for the feedback. I'm at work at the moment but will have a go at fixing everything that's been pointed out.. its really easy to overlook simple mistakes when you have been working on something for a long time.

apart from adding bouncy body parts.. she is a child! :P

Cassiebsg

Also think that it looks pretty good. (nod)
The only thing that seem to bother me (and no one else) is that her hands seem to be rotated the wrong way... :shocked: Specially her left hand that has her tumb pointing backwards (actually looks like a right hand on her left arm)!
As for the right hand I would rotate it a bit more inwards, so that the inner curve of the semi closed hand faces backwards.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Dropped Monocle Games

updated animation (updated first post)

• Fixed left arm backswing
• Fixed the front leg twitching forward
• Added a bit more movement to both arms
• Made hair move with head a tiny bit
• Fix the left hand being backwards (still not happy with it tho)

hopefully this is starting to look better :)

Blondbraid

It looks great, though it looks a bit weird that her face moves back and forth but her hair on top of her head doesn't. But otherwise it looks awesome! (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: Blondbraid on Thu 26/11/2015 21:30:36
It looks great, though it looks a bit weird that her face moves back and forth but her hair on top of her head doesn't. But otherwise it looks awesome! (nod)

I actually thought the same thing at first as the movement of her face drew my eye straight away. But then I thought that for me it adds charm to the animation and creates its own style instead of being a "perfect" generic animation.

I would suggest though that this effect is used on all characters in the game (as much as is possible) to give the entire game the same look, and then you have a memorable and unique look for the game that makes it stand out.

Dropped Monocle Games

added some movement on the hair line, is that better?

Snarky

It's looking good. I would maybe add a bit more bending to the ankles and feet. If you've ever worn slalom boots, you know how important the flexing of the foot is to a natural walk: even in stiff, uncomfortable shoes, the feet bend as you walk.

It also currently looks like her front foot starts moving back before it touches the ground, which is a bit weird.

selmiak

that subtle hairmovement of the braids is really cool!
the hairline is better. but still not as hauntingly 3d as the rest of the face. If you want to really really ocd on this you can still move every single hairline in her hair separatley. The buttons of her skirt could also move a bit more according to that line on her chest.

Spoiler
[close]

Myinah

The buttons moving more than they do looks a bit off and I suggested they move less when Sox shared the original original animations with me. It looked too exaggerated as she's a kid walking forward and looking around ever so slightly. Realistically her buttons wouldn't move that much unless her whole body was twisting a lot more.

selmiak

well, then the line on her chest should move less, according to the buttons, but both moving differently next to each other looks off. Only a bit, but still ;)

Dropped Monocle Games

the eyes and buttons are moving less, change the footing a bit and added a bit of hip movement

xil

Looks lovely (very professional!) and I think the latest one brings in everyone's ideas well.

However, I think the feet might be a little too flat now when hitting the floor. Even when walking slowly, the heel will visibly hit the floor first slightly more prominently in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents! :)
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Jim Reed

This is turning very nice indeed. I would suggest you add some swing to her hands and feet.

Crimson Wizard

I have an impression that her right foot steps on same line as her left foot, or maybe even behind it.

Mandle

One thing I just noticed was that her eyes blink on every second cycle.

This means you have two cycles of animation to play around with: I thought maybe add some different bounce to her hair braids and/or skirt animation etc. for the two different cycles to add just that extra touch of variety...

Maybe it's not needed, but if it's subtle it could really sell the animation as the player is probably going to be looking at it a lot during the course of the game...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk