MAGS December "Depleted" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/12/2015 11:24:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Kastchey

Congrats on releases everyone!

@Dave, I don't know who that talented artist you mentioned before was but thanks for letting me join in instead :)

Noto

The extra day was immensely helpful on the nerves, but I don't know if it'll be enough to get everything I need together.

After some thought, I think I just wouldn't be comfortable rushing something out for tomorrow. Unless it's happened in the past somebody gets a few-day extension, I may have to sit this one out and release the demo when it's done, which I'm anticipating will be very soon either way. Regardless, if there's nothing I can do on getting more time, I'll put out some teaser stuff before the deadline tomorrow and still try and get people interested in the project. This whole month I and a couple others who've helped-out have poured an insane amount of time, effort, and heart into the game and I'd hate to have my first real project here go nowhere.

Congratulations on everyone's releases so far!

CaptainD

Interesting question just popped into my head after reading Noto's post - how many games didn't make it for the MAGS deadline but were developed more and released later anyway?  Basically, how many games may well have never seen the light of day at all if it weren't for MAGS?  (Not even including those that were expanded from an original MAGS game and all the games that did make it out before the deadline.) 

I'd say we owe MAGS for being the driving force for dozens of games being released in addition to the ones that were actually MAGS entries.

Mandle

Quote from: Noto on Fri 01/01/2016 11:21:35
I'd hate to have my first real project here go nowhere.

A great way to have a MAGS project to end up going nowhere, at least in my own experience, is to save its release until later when its "more polished" and "ready for release"...I've done this a few times and have never completed a single one (so far)...

The only MAGS I have ever "completed" were the ones I pushed out the door at the deadline whether they were 100% what I had imagined or not.

So: how about you release the "MAGS version" of the game as a "beta" or "demo" or whatever and then work on the finer details later? This will also mean you get a lot of feedback from the community in the meanwhile...

Just my opinion of course. You might not be as terrible as me at completing stuff when there is no pressure to do so... (laugh)

Noto

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 01/01/2016 12:15:34
Interesting question just popped into my head after reading Noto's post - how many games didn't make it for the MAGS deadline but were developed more and released later anyway?  Basically, how many games may well have never seen the light of day at all if it weren't for MAGS?  (Not even including those that were expanded from an original MAGS game and all the games that did make it out before the deadline.) 

I'd say we owe MAGS for being the driving force for dozens of games being released in addition to the ones that were actually MAGS entries.

I was astounded at just how much I was able to get done with a looming deadline, with the game really flourishing especially in the last week. I imagine there'd be quite a bit, it'd make sense for there to be!

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 01/01/2016 12:36:54
So: how about you release the "MAGS version" of the game as a "beta" or "demo" or whatever and then work on the finer details later? This will also mean you get a lot of feedback from the community in the meanwhile...

It's not necessarily a bad idea, but I thought well and hard on it already and know that's not the right move for me. I realized that if I did that the rushed "MAGS Version" of my game would be different than I envision it to be. It depends on what I'd be creating, but being that I'm making a very personal and serious entry it would need to be as I rightfully intend it. It's not fair to my own art to sacrifice quality for the sake of making a deadline.

And I used to have that same issue, but I'm confident that won't be the case here. For me my issue is keeping a passion going throughout the project, as I'd lose it sometimes and it'd be really hard to get back. I can't see that happening here, and as a whole I think my entire creative process really grew in this month. MAGS was an awesome learning experience.

Funkpanzer

Presenting Outta' Juice!

You play as Sport and it's your job to make sure the spin students in Coach's class don't run Outta' Juice!

Collect items from the three rooms in Coach's gym then go see him to start the round. Be sure to follow Coach's instructions! Keep all the spinners from collapsing until the timer runs out and watch those delicious, failure prone point algorithms do their thing!

Download: OuttaJuice.b1.zip

This is my first game ever and I'm really happy with how it turned out, despite the issues and it not being finished. There are a lot of things that don't work but I'm planning on putting some time aside next month to finish up and add the final level. :) Hope this is fun for some of you!

Thanks to Snarky for help with the game timer.

Know issues

• Empty inventory slots are still selectable
  • Sound and music missing almost everywhere
  • Being outside of the main room when the time runs out will prevent the level from ending
  • Level 4 doesn't work at all (but the coffee machine does!)

Peder 🚀

Getting close, I've been crunching away coding all night and getting close to a finished build! It might have a few bugs, but it looks like we'll make the extended deadline in time! :)

[edit]
Just fixing a last minute game breaking bug.. will upload ASAP.

Peder 🚀

And here we go:
U-ropa => http://univertgames.com/U-ropa/U-ropa.rar screens etc will arrive shortly..

PS, if you downloaded when I posted the link, please re-download.. there was another breaking game bug that was fixed after.

Now also available as a ZIP => http://univertgames.com/U-ropa/U-ropa.zip

Atavismus

U-ROPA

"You are a young technician working in an undersea vehicle extracting minerals.
It's your first day, but a serious accident happens.
You are trapped.
Will you survive? Will you escape?
Be quick, chose wisely, time is running out...
"

Team:
Atavismus: Story
Hobo: Gfx
Jonas: Music
Peder: Code

French translation should come soonish... (until when is it accepted?)

DOWNLOAD LINK

HF!

Stupot

The competition has now ended and voting is underway.

Space Tunneler by CaptainD
Outta' Juice by Funkpanzer
U-ROPA by Atavismus, Hobo, Jonas and Peder

Click on the game title to download.

Voting
This month we're going to try PM voting again and see how it goes.
CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR VOTE

Remember:
* try all the games before you vote
* vote only once
* vote for your favourite

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Atavismus

Congratz CaptainD and Funkpanzer!

I wanted to point that I made a small fix because the end puzzle was broken.

Also, I wonder: can I make the french translation now, or should I wait end of voting?

Have fun with our 3 games guis and gals! ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 01/01/2016 01:24:35
Congrats to both finished entries so far:

OMG Ponch!!! HunieCop!!! I'm totally spamming the link to Markiplier until he plays it... (laugh)

(And oh my God: that cursor!!!)

EDIT: Aw shit...it looks like I just assumed Ponch's post had a download link in it somewhere instead of there actually being one...
Sadly, I wasn't able to finish it in time (like always). Glad it caught your eye though. Markiplier is fine. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Jesse Cox. But it was Genna & TB Bain's playthough of HuniePop that convinced me to get the game. It's fun in an eye-rolling way and the puzzles are well made. Oddly, my girlfriend absolutely rules at HuniePop. She's bedded all the girls (except for some of the hidden ones). I need to step up my game, apparently. :=

Congrats to everyone who finished their games. Can't wait to play them! :cheesy:

Stupot

About one week left to get your votes in. Only two so far. Where are all the French people? (laugh)

Cassiebsg

They didn't get the translation? (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Atavismus

Well, as I'm not sure I can translate the game during the vote (rules), I didn't translate it.
(I know that some french people are waiting for the translation to play it)

Also, mind, that game is not french but paneuropean (4 nations). :D

MiteWiseacreLives!

HUNIECOP??!!1!!!!!111
Why didn't I notice this sooner!? I think the time has come for you to finish your MAG Ponch 8-)

Stupot

Last call for votes. Voting will close in about 20 hours from now. (nod)
Unfortunately I haven't had the time to play the games myself, yet, so I won't be able to vote :-/

Stupot

Voting has finished and the results are as follows:

Outta Juice by Funkpanzer - 1 vote
Space Tunneller by CaptainD - 1 vote
U-Ropa by Atavismus, Hobo, Jonas, Peder - 6 votes

Well done team U-Ropa. You will be contacted soon about choosing a topic for February.
Thanks to all the participants and voters.

Mandle

Ahhhhh...I also never got the time to try all the games. Congratz to all. And I will get around to trying all entries nonetheless!

Atavismus

Congratz all!
3 nice different games imo :)

I'm really glad about U-ropa. Thx to Hobo and Jonas we get a good claustrophobic atmosphere.

Thx you voters and players!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk