Who wants to be a character in my game? Added gameplay video

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 20/12/2015 22:41:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

This is a non-ags game so that's why I posted here. I have been working on my free-roaming postapocalyptic RPG for hmm...about 8-9 months now and even if I have only scraped the surface of this gigantic project, there's already a couple of hours of gameplay in it I think (If you count the "Must level up a little so I can kill that monster" stuff hehe) you are free to play however the hell you want. Every NPC can be killed and looted. You control how to build your character so there's no automatic upgrade for MAX HP or strength etc. when you level up, you only get skillpoints to use how you want.

Every NPC you meet also gives you a "New bio added" when you interact with them for the first time. You can then go to the "biographies" section in the menu and read a short backstory of each and every npc (Even the beggars you encounter) So...what I'm asking is if anyone here would like to "be" a character in this game? If so, I'd like to know your full name and where you come from. If you don't feel comfortable posting that info here you can PM me of course. There are all kinds of people in the game...good,bad,weird,disturbing etc. Your name could be attached to any of those characters but if you feel strongly against being a lowlife character just tell me, if you don't tell me I will take that as a "Make me however you want"

I guess I should post a few pics from the game so you know what it looks like before agreeing to anything :D Oh and this will be a commercial release whenever it's ready.

I don't know if anyone here will find it appealing but I hope someone will find it at least a little interesting. Ask away if you have any questions or whatever :)

Some features of the games:

CRAFTING/BREWING POTIONS You can gather a LOT of different materials used for crafting...or just sell them
FISHING MINIGAME (Old school button mashing :D not only fish can be caught )

KARMA Good karma = most people like you Bad karma = Bad people like you and can give you quests. You can raise your karma by doing quests or give money to beggars. The game keeps track of how many innocent people you have killed and how many items you've looted from their corpses though so buying good karma after doing major crimes can make some people treat you like a psychopath instead...neither good or bad. More like "I don't get you...I don't feel comfortable around you"

Track records, You can see how many battles you've won, how many you've escaped from. How long you've been playing. How many steps you've taken...skillbooks read etc.

HOUSE STEALING! Yeah you read it right. It's not as easy as just killing the owner and think you own the house though. There is a little more to it ;) You will be able to make a profit from a stolen house too making you a superbastard :D Renting it out to a "travel-by-foot merchant" can make him create a better shop with better items.

FAST TRAVELING: All new locations you discover will be added to your map, making traveling a lot quicker.

JOIN THE SCUM! Fallout never allowed you to join the raiders and I don't like it one bit...here...you have a chance to join the bandits and they will not be hostile towards you anymore. You can even call in a driveby shooting in battles if you have gained enough trust from them

Ok that's some info about the game! Hope it sounds interesting! :) Oh and RetroJay (My official tester for this project) Get over here and promote this game now. After all, you have played the hell out of this ;D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Mandle

Kumpel

I so wanna be some hobo! :D

Maddin Krönert
From: Dresden, Germany (However a hobo gets to this place of yours... :D)

kconan

This looks and sounds great!  I'm game:

Name: James Prior

Mouth for war

Great! thanks guys :-D oh well then...germany was severly hit by a nuclear warhead so you ended up in my wasteland or something :-D

MiteWiseacreLives!

Sooooo, how does the fighting work in this RPG? Got a screenie?

Mouth for war

It's the good ol' turnbased stuff...meter fills up...do your thing...enemies turn and so on but there might be a few other battle sequences from time to time so ot doesn't feel to boring. I can put up a screenie later. On mobile now!

Mouth for war

Mandle

Dude...your game is so pretty!!! Can I playtest...pretty please?!

Mouth for war

Adeel

Feel free to include me. Bonus points for you if you can find a creative way to kill me in the most grotesque way possible.

Name: Adeel Ahmed

My only request? Just don't succumb to the horrible stereotypes about a certain nation, religion and/or a race!

Mouth for war

Don't worry Adeel! I would never do that! Game is religion-free (Except for some weird folks holed up in an abandoned church but they are nutjobs :D ) I do have a real funny death in mind (it's Quest related though so it's not by the hands of the player, but before triggering a quest you can kill the NPC of course) maybe that will be you then! :D

Mandle

OMG guys....What if...WHAT IF:

Mouthforwar is actually the devil and by giving him our names in this thread it's actually the modern-day equivalent of signing over your soul to Satan on a contract...

SO: We get to be immortalised in his "game", but in actual fact our immortal souls must exist forever in our roles in said game after our deaths here on earth?!

COOOOL!!!

Mouth for war

LindaBelle

Strangely enough... I thought that this thread will be more popular..;)I want to be a character in  your game. By the way, always dreamed to take part in a game like the beautiful mythical character. It`s like a coss-play but vice-versa)

Mouth for war

I have no experience with screen recording really...but I did a little gameplay video today...the overall quality of the video is not the best and I'm sorry if I hurt your ears or something with this video hehe...but I think it's ok to watch if you just want to see it in action :) It was after a gameplay request in another forum that I did this...and I had the thread here so I thought I might as well post it here too :D Oh there IS a little violence/blood in this video...Not scary or anything but if you are sitting with sensitive people or at work where that stuff is "no no"...well...at least I have told you :D

[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT-o427wvZo&feature=youtu.be[/embed]

Mandle

MATE!!! You totally just went into that dude's shop, blew his head off, and then stole the deed to his land!!!

THIS GAME ROCKS!!! GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

Seriously, I love that the game lets you make your own moral choices, be they good or bad.

(Also whipping out the rocket launcher was just such an awesome "oh, screw THIS!" move during that combat that I cracked up.)

Great vid! Made my day!

Mouth for war

Thanks man! Yeah "miss" "miss" "ahhh fuck it" like that indiana jones movie...the guy with the sword thing :-DAnd don't worry i haven't forgotten about you for testing i just want to have a little more flesh on the bones :-) And yeah it's important that the player feels it's "THEIR" game. I want you to play how you want and not having me to hold your hand all the way....explore...try this try that...kill loot...whatever :D

Mandle

Quote from: Mouth for war on Fri 22/01/2016 15:36:27
And yeah it's important that the player feels it's "THEIR" game. I want you to play how you want and not having me to hold your hand all the way....explore...try this try that...kill loot...whatever :D

This is the kind of feature that can set an indie game above the majority of Triple-A titles where you have no option to be the bad-guy, or that just lead you from one cutscene to the next with some FPS/Stealth/Hoarding/Quicktime-Events/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure interaction thrown in to make the player feel they are (if just barely) still playing a game instead of watching some Machinima...

I would choose a game made by an indie dev all on their own with zero budget over one of those boring multi-million dollar monstrosities (Until Dawn, I'm looking at you) any day as long as the game offered freedom of choice.

Mouth for war

I totally agree. Bethesda actually disappointed me a little with FO4. Sure, one or two fetch quests might still make it in to this game as well but believe me...I loath them so much and I'm aiming to make more depth to my quests :D and the worst is that you could never join the raiders in their games!!!! guess what? In my game you can actually join the bandits. You will have ONE opportunity in the game to join them and the way you become a prospect will really test your morality (Even I feel kind of bad when I do it :D ) if not,they will just be normal enemy encounters. There will be plenty of side activities too...the hard part is to come up with WHAT to put haha. I already have fishing and mining...but there will be more. A small gambling area will be available...with other minigames in it...like arcade style games, slot machines yeah you get the idea. It has a day and night cycle. Some stuff will only happen at night so visiting the same place twice will be recommended! The mood completely changes at night as well and you get the survival horror feel instead of the apocalyptic feel you have when it's daytime so that's pretty cool. Some roofs can be climbed,you can dive in to the water at some places...digging up graves/dirt mounds etc...yeah I'm really going all out on this one! I just hope i will be able to finish it...It's an insane project for only one person hehe :D

Ibispi

Nice looking game, Mouth of war. At the beginning of the video the old man sitting next to a house reminds me of that character from Fallout New Vegas that has dynamites. The graphic style is really cool in my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Rocchinator

I dont know if im late... I love the project:

Name: Rocchi Duccio

Mouth for war

Thanks alot Ibispi and Rocchinator! Oh no you're not too late haha...it has a loooong way to go until it's finished :D

Mouth for war

I added some cool stuff. At random times the screen gets darker (To at least try and simulate clouds hehe) and it starts to rain...it can be normal rain...or acid rain. Acid will of course give you radiation damage. Also, there will be thunder when it rains and if you are unlucky, the lightning can strike and if it hits you you'll lose HP instead so that, in combination with acid rain makes the wasteland really dangerous :D Perks might be given to make you immune against that though later on ;) if it's acid, the rain is tinted slightly green and if there's a blast it will be immediately after the screen flashes White. It will look like this

and the actual animation

The animation might look a little weird just seeing it like this but in the game it looks really nice when it appears right after the screen has that white flash :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk