AGS Awards 2015: SOON

Started by , Fri 25/12/2015 09:57:49

Previous topic - Next topic

NickyNyce

I have more to say, but for now...game makers do not have to release a game every year. They can work on their games for 2, 3 or 4 years and then release it. So to me, time working on a game should not come into play during this discussion unless it is a MAGS game.

Some game makers release games every 2 months. This is their choice. Others work on and polish their games for years before release. So to me, it's the final product, and time has no factor.

My opinion last year was simple. Have an award for best game (commercial and freeware) and one for best freeware game. I love the idea of rewarding a Dev for making a game I don't have to pay for. So bravo to them. All other awards besides a MAGS game award, could be judged together.

MiteWiseacreLives!

I'm on board with Nicky. If there is going to be a seperation, I think it should only be in the game of the year award. Heck the same votes could just be reused when ranking the freeware games!
But if it's going to make the people who make it all happen rage-quit, well it's not that big of a deal...

NickyNyce

The people that bring us the awards should be given an award. Most of us spend free time making and playing games, while these people spend a large amount of time bringing us the winners and putting on a show. I salute you!

I actually feel bad for saying what I think should be done, when I have nothing to do with the awards. So for that I say, do what is best and easiest for those involved.

Mandle

Sorry to ask, but I was just wondering when the "For Your Consideration" thread is going to open?

Stromvin

Hi there, im still relatively new to the Forums so i didnt really realize something like an Award existed. (Yes i browsed the Forums mainly for technical questions i confess...) But since i read the Posts now i wanted to put my two cents into the slot mashine.
I agree with the opinion that the time and experience, and therefore also the amount of Money, if any, he want to charge should matter to a games grading.
As Long as a game is made by one (well maybe up to three) Person it should also be able to compete on head with the rest. As already mentioned not everyone has the same amount of time and experience, commercial or not. And since we do not know who has how much of time, experience and energy, we should compare everyone, and therefore every game on the same Level. Besides, not not sure if anyone mentioned it, if you go commercially and full time, dont think your work ends with making the game! There is for sure a lot of marketing and economical bullshit you gotta do that also takes a considerable amount of your time. Time that a free game developer doesnt need, because he doesnt need to care.

On a side note: I was surprised to read my own games Name here(i think snarky mentioned it) and wanted to mention something. I consider it some Kind of early Access, so i dont think ist done yet. So i dont know how to deal with tis in Terms of putting it in a contest. But in this case i will accept whatever is decided. So far you can still download i without problms, although ist not in the ags database.

Greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Mandle

I know there is a lack of hosts for this year's Live AGS Awards...But is anything at all being planned?

The awards could just be run without the live event if that's what needs to happen...(worst case scenerio of course)

Stupot

Is nobody stepping forward? Shame. I would consider it but not finding myself with much free time these days :-/

cat

Since I want to participate in the awards with a game I made last year, I don't think I should host it. :(

Snarky

While I can see the argument for avoiding even the appearance of a conflict of interests, I believe AGA can independently confirm the vote numbers, so as long as you don't make any controversial changes to the rules, hosting offers no real special ability to rig the awards. I think SSH was nominated and even won for a few different things in the years he hosted.

AGA

The results are crunched by a script on the AGS website, there's no room for manipulation of votes anyway; I usually use that as my source when I update the awards in the games page anyway.  It just might spoil the surprise slightly for them if the organiser wins!

m0ds

QuoteThis year I won't be running them, if you want to pick up the task (very simple task, 95% of the work is done by AGA and Snarky), contact one of them!

If this means collating the data & running the ceremony, I think 5% is a little off ;) Still, what exactly is needed? There doesn't seem to be much info to give anyone an idea of the task they'd be taking on...

Still, I can probably give it a shot, certainly a text/irc based edition. Maybe there's a clever way to broadcast skype video calls or something, but I'm not personally prepared to muck around with the AGS live setup. Great as it is, I don't feel I have time or patience to co-ordinate that kinda thing right now, unless it's super easy lesbians. If someone else wants to do the AGS live stuff then please take over this task ASAP!

If I'm gonna do it then I'll insist that Best Freeware Game be a certainty alongside Best Game (commercial or otherwise). I'm open to Best MAGS Game also being part of the actual ags awards, but as cat I think said a lot of them aren't even listed in the db. That said, it's up to these developers to put them in the db not us, so it's probably best if we let that particular issue rollover to next year and for now just concentrate on an extra step to split commercial and freeware game chances up a little, as someone said, accommodate the changing landscape. Don't really want to get into any other suggestions tho, just that one for now.

So unless someone has picked this up and not come forward to say they have yet (please do so!), I'll speak to bici and aga/snarky asap about sorting something out.

Stupot

Quote from: Mods on Tue 02/02/2016 01:44:28I'm open to Best MAGS Game also being part of the actual ags awards, but as cat I think said a lot of them aren't even listed in the db [...] it's probably best if we let that particular issue rollover to next year
The voting is open for MAGGIES 2015 (which is basically just a Best MAGS Game anyway) with the tentative voting deadline of March 15, the idea being that the winner could be announced as part of the AGS Awards, whatever form that takes.

m0ds

Sure thing! Seems like good way to do it.

m0ds

Ok so a likely schedule...so you know it will happen soon enough...

FYC thread very soon, Monday at the latest.
Nominations, 22nd Feb ish for 2 weeks
Voting, 7th March ish for 2 weeks
Ceremony, end of March 27th or 28th something like 8pm GMT, most likely

Jack

Long live the new king!

If no one more familiar with the awards steps forward, I will do my best to update the scripts of the latest version of the awards ceremony client source that's available.

Someone should make new backgrounds and tropies. We can re-use the backgrounds if we have to but IMO we should not re-use the trophies.

Snarky

Good going Mods!

Quote from: Jack Lucy on Thu 04/02/2016 10:32:53
If no one more familiar with the awards steps forward, I will do my best to update the scripts of the latest version of the awards ceremony client source that's available.

That would be this: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51823.0
However, because of limitations set by some of the people who donated character avatars, the public version has been stripped of some of those resources. I'll share the "uncensored" version with whoever takes over the development.
I could probably - in a pinch - do the simple bit of just updating the nominees for the current year, but unfortunately I don't have the time to tackle the bigger feature requests, so if you or anyone wants to have a go at that, by all means go ahead. It's also necessary to have some basic IRC knowledge and to set up (and protect) the appropriate channels on the AGS IRC server; I might have some notes on that from last year that could come in handy.

QuoteSomeone should make new backgrounds and tropies. We can re-use the backgrounds if we have to but IMO we should not re-use the trophies.

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

Jack

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 04/02/2016 15:16:02
QuoteSomeone should make new backgrounds and tropies. We can re-use the backgrounds if we have to but IMO we should not re-use the trophies.

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

In the credits to this there was mention of someone making trophies. It might be relevant to that year only or maybe it's the tradition to keep re-using them every year. I really have no idea.

I do think someone should make a new auditorium BG. It would be nice to not have to use last year's one, though there's nothing wrong with it. Maybe something in 720p, 16:9 AR. That would sure help with the crowding issue.

I probably won't have time to tackle the feature request list either this year. So someone more familiar with the awards who has more time would be ideal.

Dualnames

I'll sit in my corner and happily watch this, crumble and graciously fall.

While this plays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6b3swbnWg
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Jack

I've enlisted the assistance of the community in creating the needed assets.

I saw the video of last year's awards and switching hosts seemed to cause quite a few delays. Perhaps there should be only one host this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk