AGS Awards 2015: SOON

Started by , Fri 25/12/2015 09:57:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Maybe next year we can have the ceremony in January or February, when it still makes any sense to have it, and if nobody will volunteer to fix and host a deluxe version, we'll just make it an IRC session, or even just publish the darn results here in the forum?

Having a 2015 award ceremony in late May of 2016 is just silly. I'm not pointing fingers here, just stating obvious facts. Especially since the aftertaste of past events have been on the bitter side I don't anyone thinks it worth the hassle.

So, we nominate games in January. If nobody has volunteered to fix a client by the end of the month, we step down to an IRC event. If nobody will take it upon themselves to host that either, we just compile the results and publish it in a thread before the end of February.

Haggis

I've never been able to attend the awards ceremony in the past so hoping this will be the first.

I assume the ceremony is held mid year to allow people to actually play the games made in the previous year, if they haven't already, and then nominate and vote for their winners?

Snarky

Quote from: Haggis on Thu 19/05/2016 10:04:54
I've never been able to attend the awards ceremony in the past so hoping this will be the first.

I assume the ceremony is held mid year to allow people to actually play the games made in the previous year, if they haven't already, and then nominate and vote for their winners?

Well, it's never been held this late before. It's usually in February or March, to â€" as you say â€" allow people to play the games, nominate, and vote for the winner.

The necessary steps (given the current system) are basically:

• Pre-nomination:

• Time for games that haven't been added to the db to be entered
    • Reminders/discussion of the games released in the last year, a "For Your Consideration" thread
    • Sometimes (too often!) discussion about any changes to the categories or rules
  • Nominations
  • Voting, and also:

• Update the AGS client, entering the data and graphics/resources for the nominees (any other updates can start much earlier)
    • Juries pick the winners in the special awards categories (innovation and lifetime achievement)
    • Scheduling the awards ceremony
  • Announcement/awards ceremony
I think the nominations and voting need to be at least three weeks each, to give everyone the opportunity to participate, and the pre-nominations phase usually takes a couple of weeks at least. So late February â€" early March is probably the most realistic time frame for the awards ceremony if everything is well organized.

AGA

I'd say we could start on 01 January really, then have three weeks each for For Your Consideration, nomination and voting, then say two weeks' warning before the ceremony.  So everybody put February 18 in your diaries for the next infinity years, job done!

Of course in reality we have those stupid human factors like having day jobs and family lives to worry about, but as Snarky says late February or early March should be doable each year without any difficulty.  I think part of the problem this year was weeks spent trying to find replacements for bicilotti's and Snarky's great work in the lead up to the ceremony.

Jack

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Thu 19/05/2016 06:48:39
I still don't know how to find the chat anymore ???
Is this still public knowledge?

Details here, but you will not be able to get into #clubgalen this way. Don't ask me how, I think it's invite only, of maybe specific compromising acts must be performed first.

Ponch

good to now that tux still fits Ponch! Now is that a custom cummerbund covering your udder?
It's elastic. I'm 43, and at my age it's important to buy clothes that stretch. :=

Ibispi

Quote from: Jack on Thu 19/05/2016 12:48:22

Details here, but you will not be able to get into #clubgalen this way. Don't ask me how, I think it's invite only, of maybe specific compromising acts must be performed first.

Actually, you are wrong. To join #clubgalen all you gotta do is connect to irc.clubgalen.com and then type in: /join #clubgalen
Club galen is not some kind of elitist society, it is not invite only. Anyone can join.
The link on the "community" page of the site is outdated though, so it says that you have to connect to irc.agsarchives.com which was the old address for the channel.

Here is a quick mibbit link to join #clubgalen: https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23clubgalen&server=irc.clubgalen.com

m0ds

A lock on the date would be good. I can't just come out with something right now though sorry, but now there's something to get excited about cos there's a test build... so I will talk to Jack and hopefully we can agree on a solid date over the weekend :=

There will also be a failsafe contingency plan to make sure it will happen on that date. Codename: Maintanence Jack.

Jack

Quote from: Ibispi on Thu 19/05/2016 18:57:38
Actually, you are wrong. To join #clubgalen all you gotta do is connect to irc.clubgalen.com and then type in: /join #clubgalen
Club galen is not some kind of elitist society, it is not invite only. Anyone can join.

Haha, I genuinely thought #clubgalen was just an in-joke.

EDIT: What's the point anyway, when you don't have a Babar?

Galen

Well you do have to strip off nude and recite the secret code words...

That or the server was just down / on the blink when you tried to join. It's really just the AGS Archives chat with a joke name that Peder just ran with until it stuck.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Ibispi on Thu 19/05/2016 18:57:38

The link on the "community" page of the site is outdated though, so it says that you have to connect to irc.agsarchives.com which was the old address for the channel.

Here is a quick mibbit link to join #clubgalen: https://client02.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23clubgalen&server=irc.clubgalen.com
I owe you a life debt for alowing me into the folds of your exclusive cult 8) I've never felt sooo accepted!
Now should I start by waxing your car or do I just keep whipping my naked body with this USB cable?

m0ds

Jack will be back with a date soon. I'm letting him weigh it up. But nomination images are in now and he's sorting some other standard ceremony things like voice clips or whatnot so it would appear the ceremony is in good shape again. Just a little more patience and we should be there...

LimpingFish

At this rate, we'll be reminding people to have their games in the database for next year's awards, before this year's have even been given out! We're definitely going to have to sort something out for next year, though, to spread the responsibility, and to take the heat off of a lone organizer.

And, because I'm currently on my third drink of the evening, I going to offer what will probably prove an unpopular opinion: Fuck the client. Goodnight!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

cat

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 26/05/2016 00:51:27
And, because I'm currently on my third drink of the evening, I going to offer what will probably prove an unpopular opinion: Fuck the client. Goodnight!

I think this is a very popular opinion by now...

Calin Leafshade

It's nearly June, guys.

Ponch

At this point, I'll be crushed if we don't have a client and just did it in irc. It's been a long wait, but it sounds like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel. :smiley:

Stupot

Maybe we could have the MAGGIES result for now to whet people's appetites. It is intended to be announced in the awards ceremony but we can do it this week, if you all want?

Mandle

Quote from: Ponch on Thu 26/05/2016 14:50:14
At this point, I'll be crushed if we don't have a client and just did it in irc. It's been a long wait, but it sounds like there's finally light at the end of the tunnel. :smiley:

+1

m0ds

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 26/05/2016 15:05:17
Maybe we could have the MAGGIES result for now to whet people's appetites. It is intended to be announced in the awards ceremony but we can do it this week, if you all want?

It's setup in the client, why do that? So a few people are whinging and others with oh-so motivational comments like "fuck tradition" (roll) but it was their choice not to get involved with the awards and just bark negatives from the sidelines 8-0 Release Maggie award asap [support the moaners] <> Maggies thru the client [support the tradition]. Your choice dude!

It isn't far off now and I also feel we've come this far so let's see it through. There may not be much harmony here in the discussion (wtf) but I think we can all agree we mostly anticipatge the tradition of receiving awards through the ceremony format (nod) Next year, change, structure and me not being involved is most welcome. We can make sure there's a clear period and opportunity (ie recruitment thread) to form a team. And those people can then structure it accordingly, so client is ready in good time etc, if that's the route they'll take.

For now though, as I'm completely un-involved in the technical side, I'm happy for the person that is to do it their way & by their time (even if I agree rebuilding the client was perhaps a bit extreme but beggars can't be choosers).  This year it's just a bit different than it has been the last few because it's not the same people as the last few, not everything makes a smooth transition. Get over it! ;)

The ceremony client will be a bit of fun as always and that isn't far away now... thanks for keeping the faith (some folks at least lol) :=

Snarky

Some stuff in here I don't trust myself to respond to, so I'll restrict my reply to this bit:

Quote from: Mods on Thu 26/05/2016 17:28:48
Maggies thru the client [support the tradition].

There is absolutely no tradition for this. Incorporating the MAGGIES into the AGS Awards was a new suggestion this year. How can you not remember this? You were directly involved in the discussion in this very thread back in February!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk