MAGS January "Black Death" (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Sat 02/01/2016 05:49:30

Previous topic - Next topic

shaun9991

woah, some amazing looking stuff here! Funkpanzer, your game makes me very excited!
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

sbnewsom

Excellent work everyone! I should have some free time next month to join in. :D

jwalt

In one way or another, I've probably made every noob mistake in this, my first "completed" game. It's actually less completed than I got tired of looking at it. So anyway:

Name: Luther in the Hood. As a result of an early-on error, the executable in the unzipped folder is afroTest4.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?h02xsl2wyp3nejr

I am concerned that this may not be a working link, since I am also noob at MediaFire. I suspect Stupot+ will advise if it is not, unless someone beats him to it.

In game screen shot:

I was never able to get the dialog to work like I wanted it to, and it also kept turning into War and Peace on me. I also relied heavily on Ghost's BASS template, so Mr. Ghost gets a big thank you from me. Now, you can download and dismiss my very first MAGs entry and eagerly await the good stuff that appears to be coming your way, shortly.

Stupot

Nice one Jwalt. Congrats on finishing a game :-D
I look forward to giving it a whirl.
It looks like a valid download link but I will check it properly in due course :-)

Gurok

jwalt, I can't wait to play yours because I think the dialogue's going to be hilarious.

I just realised, almost the whole month's gone by and Catpunter and I haven't posted any screenshots to show progress. Here's what our title screen looks like:

Also, WARNING: You will need at LEAST an EGA to play our game. Sorry, CGA users! :P

Most of the game is actually greyscale with accent colours, so it looks pretty different from this title screen. Have to save a surprise or two!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

A very short project, I'm just glad to have actually released something!

Your Grace!

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2008/

Gurok

I have a question. If someone had a fake studio logo they were planning on making an EGA version of, would that come under "material created before the competition"? The logo already exists, but I'd be recolouring it for the game.

Cassiebsg

Don't think so, since 1) you are re-coloring it, hence remaking it, and 2) it's just a logo... otherwise you also need to change your name, since it was "made before the comp started"... ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

If it's a studio logo you're going to see it for what, two seconds? I'd say it's fine.

Mandle

Wow....For my MAGS entry "Speed Buggy: Manifold Destiny" I totally ripped the graphics from the original cartoon(and several others), and also ripped most of the object/inventory images from google images...

I did however have to work up all the images to get them to fit with the story/puzzles of the game...This took many hours of work: Adapting images to fit your framework is an artistic challenge in and of itself I would say. There is an entire field of art: "Collage", that is all about this...

My goal in creating the game was to pack as many puzzles as possible into the game within the time limit, so I could not spend the time redrawing every pixel of every scene that I needed from the source material...

Actually, the MAGS description itself states that you should concentrate on the aspects of game dev that you feel you need the most experience with: And for me, at the time, that was puzzles...

I feel that the rule of "EVERYTHING IN THE GAME MUST BE CREATED BY THE MAKER" (yeah, except sound effects) is a bit limiting: This is indie freeware...Why not just let the game dev rip off as much pre-existing material* as they like, as long as they are transparent about it, and let the voters decide?(If you are entering MAGS for the win in the first place then you are probably entering for the wrong reason...)

Imagine if Andy Warhol had tried to adhere to the "official" MAGS rules... (laugh)

* By "pre-existing material" I mean material that is already publicly-accessable, not game material that the author had already made themself thus allowing them to enter a GIP into MAGS...That would not be cool...

Stupot

3 day warning!
Thanks to Jwalt and Retrowolf, we have a contest!
But just how much of a contest will it be?
How are things going CatPunter & Gurok, FunkPanzer, Sox & Myinah, Matt Frith, Cat & Creamy?

I've been a bit wishy-washy about the deadline till now. So, I'm setting 23:59 GMT on the 31st as an official cut-off point.

@Gurok - I think this logo you speak of should be fine. The way I interpret the 'make your own assets' rule is that it mainly refers to actual game content, to both promote creativity and promise a level playing field. As Mandle said, he made a whole game with ripped artwork. On another day, people might have got upset and they would have had a case, but on that day no-one seemed to mind so it didn't become an issue. In general though, the challenge of making a wholly original game from scratch in one month is what makes it such a special contest.

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 29/01/2016 00:00:34
As Mandle said, he made a whole game with ripped artwork. On another day, people might have got upset and they would have had a case, but on that day no-one seemed to mind so it didn't become an issue. In general though, the challenge of making a wholly original game from scratch in one month is what makes it such a special contest.

Hehe....It probably helped that I was up against "Red Hot Overdrive" so there was little mystery about who was going to win anyways ;)

cat

We're still in, making good progress and should finish in time!

Creamy

Right now, the rats are too agressive so Cat is tweaking their AI.
I hope I can get the fire to spread properly by sunday.

Spoiler
It's a turn-based racing game.:wink:
[close]

Matt Frith

I should be okay for the deadline also. Had a bit more than expected left to do but it's pretty much ready minus a few animations. I'll probably spend all the available time for fiddling and testing though :D

Funkpanzer

I'm submitting whatever I have ready at 6:30pm EST tomorrow, which is currently looking like a good example of things to come. ;-D

Problem

We (Myinah, Sox and I) are not going to make the deadline. But we love the direction our game is taking, so we're going to spend some more time on it and finish it with all the polish it deserves.
Good luck everyone, looking forward to your entries. :)

Gurok

Stress is pretty high! We are burning the midnight oil, but Catpunter has promised to get something uploaded by the deadline. Thanks, Stupot+, for the confirmation about the logo!

CatPunter

Missing the logo and a few tiny tiny things, but I don't want to leave it until after my nap knowing I'll probably wake up past the deadline and doom us both.

So without further ado, here's our game "The Dark Plague"

Download "The Dark Plague" HERE
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk