Join me for a ride (100 Days of Making Comics)

Started by Ghost, Tue 05/01/2016 03:16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost

Reposted from blog:

O-kay... so, this did not exactly go as planned.

(For proper epicness, consider leaving this song running in the background.)

By the rules, I failed the 100 Days of Making Comics challenge. I started to run out of steam just a bit at around Day 48 or so and did not find both time and energy to put in the daily time just a bit later. I had hit an odd roadblock and could not crack it, and then stuf started piling up.
There's a bit more to it, but as far as catchy labels go, critical writer's block is probably the simplest explanation. I tried to get back into the swing but then another day went by with nothing much happening and then I lost it.

Of course, I could've just covered it up. I don't know exactly how many people are following this but none of you are very likely to come over and check what I really did at any given day (If you have plans to do so, bring some tuna, the cat loves it!)... but that would've been cheating and cheating is wrong (tm).

The bet was to work 30 minutes a day on a comic project. I have done this for 51 days, and then didn't, and thus the bet is off. I failed the challenge.

The End.

But... it doesn't really feel like losing, you know? It doesn't feel like failure. I went into this very unprepared, with very little background knowledge, and I came a good way. I wrote and designed and drew and broke a bit of new ground, and I had a good bit of fun, and a good bit of this good kind of frustration that doesn't get you down but fuels you up: You're facing a challenge and you know it'll be hard but you want to try and see if you can do it. I made it to the halfway mark at least, and given my track record of dropping projects, that's quite an achievement.

But the truth is that I need some time to sort out some stuff and that means that for now, I am closing the challenge. This is not a break, I'll stick to the rules and consider this first attempt at the 100 Days as over and done for, even if this might be a bit of false pride.

I have a folder full of scripts, notes, and scans. I have sketches and some nicely inked panels. There's LOOT here and I am proud of it. And it will come in handy. I've had this feeling that you need to enter such a challenge with a bit more of a plan, with a clearer outline, with a foundation that provides some extra fuel. This is what I take away from this challenge.

I'll attempt to run the gauntlet again, sometimes this year if possible, and then we shall see how far that run lasts. I'll leave this blog open and the next run will be chronicled here, too.

A great big thank you to everyone who checked in here, and I hope you found some entertainment. See you again, I hope :)

CaptainD

Glad you got something good out of doing your challenge!  I would see that really as the main reason for challenging yourself in such a way.  Maybe we'll see something great come from you that had its origins in the 51 days you managed (and even on the other 49 days I'm sure you at least thought about the comic, so in a way you still succeeded, right? ;))

Ghost

Thank you, CaptainD!

And yes! I absolutely succeeded in *some* way (laugh) 51 days is pretty good and I don't walk away empty-handed. I'm sure I can pick up the things I made and learned, and restart at some point. Just have to get rid of this RL stuff and, well, we always get an extra roll.

Cassiebsg

RL has that problem, it keeps getting in the way of all the fun. (wtf)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk