Looking for a game style term

Started by Crimson Wizard, Sun 31/01/2016 16:51:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Wizard

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone knows a relatively short term depicting the kind of adventure game interface, which simulates first person view and lets to choose direction to go by clicking on compass or any similar kind of GUI control.

Some examples:
[imgzoom]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nKrPC3pOW2w/TYWr1Rnt36I/AAAAAAAAAJk/715flFyM5nc/s1600/uninvited-mac7.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://www.abandonia.com/files/games/449/Companions%20of%20Xanth_6.png[/imgzoom]

Is there any name that depicts this style of UI/gameplay?

Retro Wolf

Not sure if there's an official term but "first person adventure game" sounds good to me, also it brings up Myst and the like on Google.

Babar

Perhaps calling it a "First Person Point & Click Adventure game" could help differentiate it. I mean, Myst was point & click too, but the term has a specific understanding.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

This type of interface was most famously used by Legend- we actually used to call it the "Legend Interface".

Kumpel

POV-Adventure maybe. First person sounds a bit too lively for me. This kind of games is actually very static with rare optional perspectives of the same room (except wide rooms like mazes). first person games on the other side very often make it possible to explore a room with different POV-Shots and are clearly simulating a view through the eyes of a person.

The first example isn't really first person for me or the character would be a dwarf or a child. The second example represents the difference to "first person" even better:
It looks like an odd first person perspective or why would our hero stand on a freshly mowed lawn? :P
Imho just because the developer wanted to give an overview of the scene (as classical 3rd-person p&cs usually do too) instead of being forced to show it from a realistic first person perspective (like the ones from myst or 7th guest always were)

Gurok

Quote from: Ghost on Sun 31/01/2016 22:14:39
This type of interface was most famously used by Legend- we actually used to call it the "Legend Interface".

Yep, Legend or Magnetic Scrolls, but I'd go with Legend.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Stupot

For me 'graphic(al) adventure' best fits that type of game. These days, it is basically synonymous with 'p&c adventure' but for me that best captures the kind of games which first put a graphical interface to the text adventures which came before them. So instead of reading text and typing N, S, E, W etc, you were looking at images and selecting the directions on a GUI.

MiteWiseacreLives!

This one will always be known as Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom!!
Know your history man!  (laugh)

kconan

Reminds me a little of the original Bards Tale and Alternate Reality games.  I've never heard of an industry standard term for that style.

morganw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk