I give up

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 01/02/2016 07:23:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Being locked to 4:3 AR was the single biggest thing holding AGS back. If you fixed only that you deserve all the praise of a job well done.

As a programmer, might I ask what caused you to feel like you always used the wrong solutions? Would I be correct if I guessed that github comments had a lot to do with it?

A correct solution is one that works.

Radiant

CW, you've always set very high standards for yourself. That is an admirable trait, if frustrating for yourself.

Bear in mind that even though you're not always meeting your own standards, you're still doing an excellent job in the eyes of the community.

NickyNyce

I give up is something that I've been doing lately. Sometimes you just need to take 2 steps backward and regroup, or pass the torch. It's human nature, take a break and do something different.

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 01/02/2016 14:53:57
You are definitely confusing me with Chris Jones, which is more than embarassing. I just did few minor things on top of what existed in AGS before me.

Naw mate, I know who Chris Jones is, though I was not around when he still was.

I was mainly going off stuff I've heard here and there in the forums. One thing I have especially noticed is that your deeper knowledge of the code has allowed you to rescue many, many people in the Beginner and Advanced help threads and bring their games closer to completion. How many of those people would have just given up if not for that help I wonder? How much of that help would you have been able to give if not for your knowledge of the engine's inner-workings? Even if you feel your work on changing the engine has not gone as hoped then there is always that.

I've also seen your name listed in the credits of many games saying: "And the invaluable help from Crimson Wizard..." and the like...

Also comments such as:

Quote from: Problem on Mon 01/02/2016 08:45:54
Without your work, our last game probably wouldn't even exist.

So yeah, I'm not confusing you with Chris Jones: You're one of the folks who took it upon themself (out of a labour of love) to attempt to bring 17 year old code (?), written by someone else no-less, up to speed with modern times.

Much respect for that alone!

Cheers!

Stupot

I'm not going to say 'don't give up' but I do think one man shouldn't be expected to put in all the hard graft that you have, Crim. You've got above and beyond. I wish I could do something to help out, but my programming skills are nil. There does need to be more man(and woman)power behind the project though.

SilverSpook

Just my 2 cents: if you did implement custom resolutions, I have to thank you CW, because I might not have chosen to produce neofeud, or at least not in AGS without the ability to set higher resolutions.

So the renderer isn't the highest quality.  At least it exists!

Atavismus

I hope I won't sound insisting but I just wrote a topic titled "Should the AGS community hire a paid full time coder?":

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=53196.0

I'll be glad to hear your opinion, discuss and find what is the best for our community. :)

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 01/02/2016 12:17:02
It's blue on my screen Peder, or are you messing with my head? :-D

Yes sorry :P

Intense Degree

CW, do what you need to do and never worry about expressing your feelings here, even if you might not mean some of it in the longer term. It's fine to vent.

However, please do not think of anything you have done as failure. You have succeeded in so many ways and even if you haven't "saved the world" (an impossible task) that is not failure. You are much more appreciated in this community that you know.

Wyz

CW, please know that the load that currently rests on your shoulders is not there for one person to carry. We all know this but because of circumstances it has been. You took on the job, pulled it forward and I'm so very glad you did because the minute the cart stops it becomes dead-weight. The minute a project stops making progress--the ever so tiniest bit of progress is enough--it becomes exceptionally hard to restart it. You have prevented this from happening in the beginning; you had some help along the way sure but you kept it going. I know how frustrating it can be if you can't seem to move as quickly or in the direction you want but just keeping moving it forward how slowly it seems is so very important and we all owe you big time for that.

Now I wish I could help you out; try to take some strain but I don't know how. I'm also pulling slow moving carts myself. :( But hey, you can take it even slower if you want see because it does not matter how fast you pull it as long as it keeps moving. Personally I take consolation from this thought because the load does not feel as heavy and still because there is movement it will get there at some point.

When CJ left the project he knew what he left; I'm sure his planning was filled with features that could only ever be implemented in a neat way with complete engine rewrites; without breaking compatibility a humongous task and also a bit depressing to see that much of a work load. For an outsider new to the code-base and also unknown to whatever vision the original author had this task is inconceivable. Yet you gave it a shot and got it to move again which is impressive. The fact that you spent time (I wouldn't say wasted) on features that did not work out as planned is normal; this is how you get the job done because if you theorize about things for months you will be left with well not very much. The fact that CJ got as far as he did is for the same reasons and I can only imagine he learned a lot form it in the process making him a better programmer.

I feel you and I respect you; here is something I've been willing to tell for a while:
As author of a project you have your own vision, something you wish it to be. Sure this can be influenced by other people but yet there is only one person that truly understands this vision and that is the author. Now when a project is passed on to the next generation this becomes a thing. Everyone wants the project to stay true to this vision yet no one really knows what it is so everyone presses his own version on. Filling the shoes of the previous author can feel like a burden; you never know if you're doing it right. Instead have your own vision, make it what you want it to be. Then it becomes more enjoyably and it feels like the sky is the limit. :)
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Ponch

:sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:      :sad:
[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bxjNZYR64g[/embed]
  :(     :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(

Crimson Wizard

I do not think I can continue, I am getting terribly stressed out every time I touch this program; there is something wrong in what and how I am doing.
I hoped I can finish the last versions of it, but it takes so much time that I lost hope. I feel completely uninterested in this. If anyone wants to take a lead on this project, I do not want it anymore.

AnasAbdin

You have done to AGS more than we could have ever wished. Kick back and relax. Just let us enjoy your company in the forums :)

Ryan Timothy B

Download Unity and make some games already! ;-D 

(And if making games isn't your thing, quite a bit of people are making comfortable money with the Unity Asset Store)

[delete}

“When things go wrong, don't go with them.”
†• Elvis Presley

miguel

In Portugal we go to a T - Spa when we feel depressed.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Cassiebsg

CW, I just wish to thank you for all the cool stuff you have added to AGS!
Thanks for all your hard work! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Retro Wolf

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Amy on Mon 07/03/2016 14:20:21
stopping right now, in this very moment, is the only and absolut right decision.
This is a worst time to stop, just one step away from releasing this version, but weeks pass and I cannot finish it.

I guess I just annoy people with my posts. Don't know why I did that, it achieves nothing anyway.

This project has become a nightmare, it stuck in my head and does not let me go.

arj0n

Can't the release be postponed a little bit, creating some extra time you can use to take some time off?
I mean, are there projects really depending on the next release?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk