Games with Day of the Tentacle-inspired art style?

Started by Joeplork, Fri 05/02/2016 08:34:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeplork

Hi!

I'm a long-time adventure game fan and I'm currently writing a massive, long-form analysis piece on why the puzzle design in Day of the Tentacle is so fantastic. I wanted to make brief reference to the fact that I feel the game's art style has clearly influenced a lot of fans who are now developing their own adventure games. I feel like this is true and that I've seen a number of examples, but now that I'm actually writing about it, I can't think of many and have to wonder if I'm talking rubbish!

The only games like this I can think of so far are Ben There, Dan That, Time Gentleman, Please!, and The Great Fusion. I'm certain there must be a fair number of AGS games out there that have DOTT-ish graphics and I was wondering if anyone wouldn't mind pointing me to them (or non-AGS ones are fine, too!)? I know I once played an AGS game that must be quite a few years old now that was something to do with a nerd wanting to get out of the house to go to a comic book shop and play D&D? Something like this? I think it had the lead character's name in the title. I remember something about his mom vacuuming the house... And it was DOTT-y as all get out!

Anyway, if someone can identify the one I'm thinking or offer any other suggestions of DOTT-looking games, it'd be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ali

Toonstruck is the best example I can think of. (I also played the vacuuming mother AGS game, but am ashamed to say I've forgotten the name too!)

Joeplork

Oh yeah! Toonstruck! Duh. That's an obvious one. Can't believe I forgot it. Thanks!

Now also got Hector: Badge of Carnage, James Peris (game I know nothing about), and Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths.

Snarky

The game you're thinking of is No-Action Jackson.

Others that might fit the description (to a greater or lesser extent):
Maniac Mansion Mania + other MM/DOTT fangames (obviously)
Apprentice
Dr. Lutz and the Time Travel Machine
Murder in a Wheel
The Bum
Nancy the Happy Whore
Once Upon a Crime
Day of the Monkey (Visionaire)

Gribbler

Joeplork

Ah! No-Action Jackson! Thanks!

And thank you both for the other suggestions. Much obliged!

Ghost

Orion Burger. Everybody always forgets about Orion Burger!

(I'm not entirely sure but it seems to be... abandonware.)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk