Which X turned you into a Y nut?

Started by Jack, Thu 10/11/2016 12:08:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

The film that turned me into a movie nut is American Beauty.

Until then, movies were entertainment to me, but American Beauty made me realise that they could also be art.

CaptainD

Very interesting question Jack!  I'm not really sure, but I think for me it might have been A Beautiful Mind - not the first time I saw it, but the second.  It was amazing, actually like watching a completely different film (whereas in truth I saw it in the cinema twice, a couple of weeks apart).

When I started reviewing movies quite a bit (ended up with over 500 on them on Epinions) I started noticing / appreciating other aspects of movies that generally had passed me by, too.  But since our oldest daughter was born I've watched hardly films that aren't animated!!  (Fortunately I love animated movies so it's not too bad. ;))

Jack

The song that turned me into a music nut is Nikita by Elton John.

I'd heard the song before of course, but one day it was playing on the radio and I was carried away by its depths.

Darth Mandarb

For me it was 1992's The Last of the Mohicans.

I was home sick from school and I "borrowed" the VHS from my brother's collection.

It changed my world.

Jack

Never saw it, but I'll make a point to watch it now.

Crimson Wizard

Years ago "Elfen Lied" turned me into Anime nut. That did not last long though, because after first impression faded I learnt that it may be pretty difficult to find an anime that'd be truly interesting for me.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Jack on Tue 15/11/2016 17:53:06Never saw it, but I'll make a point to watch it now.

Probably impossible to accomplish but if you can find the "theatrical" version I'd recommend it over the "director's cut".

They changed too much. Altered Hawkeye's character/attitude and they completely changed the music.

The director's cut is still worth watching if you can't find the theatrical release though!

Jack

Yeah the theatrical cut seems very rare, I already have the DC. Would be a shame to miss it.

Did you know that there are two versions of I am Legend, with way different endings?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 15/11/2016 18:05:24
That did not last long though, because after first impression faded I learnt that it may be pretty difficult to find an anime that'd be truly interesting for me.

Have you checked out Ghost in the Shell? It's the only anime that could ever hold my interest.

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Jack on Tue 15/11/2016 20:35:39

Have you checked out Ghost in the Shell? It's the only anime that could ever hold my interest.

How about Lain? (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Quintaros

I became a comic nut when "Prisoners of Gravity" (a low budget Canadian TV show featuring interviews of science fiction authors ) dedicated an entire episode to the importance of "Watchmen".  I purchased the trade paperback shortly afterwards.  This was also around the time that we first got internet access and I was amazed at the analyses of the book available online.  I don't remember what turned me on to Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" but it finished the job of converting me by providing a myriad of recommendations for comics outside of the mainstream.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Jack on Tue 15/11/2016 20:35:39Did you know that there are two versions of I am Legend, with way different endings?

YES! I loved the darker ending. The book was even better. I love tragic endings.

Have you seen The Mist (2007) and how Darabont changed the ending? Made me sick to my stomach (I loved it!).

Jack

I haven't, but I'm a huge fan of Darabont, so... soon.

vertigoaddict

I'd watch Child's Play almost every morning before going to pre-school, I loved that film, it even helped me improve my English a whole lot. That movie turned me into a horror movie nut, though I'm not sure I'm as much of one as I used to be (let's be honest, modern horror movies tend to be lacking- though, I'm probably just saying that 'cause I'm desensitized). The game 'Clock Tower' introduced me to Dario Argento's works and I've been a fan of his since.
The game 'Parasite Eve' really got me into opera, it's interesting to note how much games influence me.

Stupot

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 16/11/2016 00:21:32
Have you seen The Mist (2007) and how Darabont changed the ending? Made me sick to my stomach (I loved it!).
That movie was atrocious. But I enjoyed seeing all the Walking Dead folks working together, pre Walking Dead

The X-Files turned me into something of a TV nut. I'd obviously watched shows before that, but that show really taught me a lot about how TV works. I'd never really considered the concept of fandom until that show came along. It was the first time I'd ever thought about writers, directors, episode titles, continuity errors, all the things that fans dig. Only LOST came close to matching that level of fandom, for me, but today I still find myself reading "around the edges" for pretty much any show that I watch.

Mouth for war

I don't know if any specific movie turned me into a movie nut. I always loved movies but there are 2 movies i will always remember. First is Spielbergs masterpiece Jaws. I was very young when i first saw it and it scared me from even taking a bath in the bathtub haha. I will always see that as Spielbergs best movie and still to this day, no other shark movie comes even close to dethrone Jaws.

The other one is Falling down with Michael Douglas...I just love it and can totally understand how he feels when he just leaves his car and start doing his thing. Amazing movie IMO. :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Andail

The Mist is an extremely captivating movie, and I'm almost surprised at how much I like it. Incidentally, we discussed this movie during one of the pub nights this AdvX, and I came to the conclusion that I'd never be able to watch it again, being a parent this time...

Danvzare

Quote from: Andail on Thu 24/11/2016 12:38:23

The Mist is an extremely captivating movie, and I'm almost surprised at how much I like it. Incidentally, we discussed this movie during one of the pub nights this AdvX, and I came to the conclusion that I'd never be able to watch it again, being a parent this time...
I remember that film. :-D
It was horrible. >:(

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit there. Napoleon Dynamite, Sucker Punch, and Bruno, are all horrible films. The Mist was just kind of bad.
If I'm remembering correctly (which I may not, considering I watched the film years ago and have probably been suppressing it since then), I think almost everyone in the film just wasn't acting how someone actually would in that situation. I get that people break down easily under pressure, but this was just too much of a stretch even for me.

It reminds me of Signs, in that it's kind of artsy, but ultimately a bit too silly.

Creamy

Thorgal has turned me into a comic nut. And Tirésias. And L'Epervier. And...

QuoteThe Mist was just kind of bad [...] It reminds me of Signs, in that it's kind of artsy, but ultimately a bit too silly.
The Mist may not be as good as The Shawshank Redemption, but I found it far more entertaining than Signs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk