Ponderabilia II

Started by moloko, Thu 18/02/2016 10:42:42

Previous topic - Next topic

moloko

I'm reposting the original topic here, as I was rightfully reminded the ability to read greatly improves one's online experience. Here goes hoping this is the right place:

Hi guys! I've been out of it for quite a while after releasing Ponderabilia (something with building a house, having 3 kids, starting a business and whatnot), and I'm seriously considering about starting work on Ponderabilia II. I've recently played Fran Bow (which has an eerily similar setting), and it rekindled my old interest, almost to the point where I'm willing to invest an insane amount of unpaid work into a project of love.

Now, as some of you may know, the original Ponderabilia had some room for improvement. The puzzles were hard, and made not too much sense to some people, there was some pixel hunting and the scenario made complete sense only to its creator. In Ponderabilia II, I'd like to correct these issues, so it made sense to ask for some help from the lot of you. I can't stress enough how amazing the things you did for Ponderabilia were. The music you made was wonderful, and the play testing and guide writing was a joy to be a part of. For Ponderabilia II, I wonder if any of you would be willing to lend a hand, and if so, what would be something you could help out on.

What I'm looking for specifically:
*Someone who can flesh out a sketch in photoshop to a full blown image within a color palette
*Someone who's an amazing animator (Nikee in Ponderabilia I had all the mobility of a corkscrew), willing to start from an original image
*Someone who has great ideas for puzzles and gameplay
*Someone with feeling for character development(Once again, Nikee was about as emotionally mature as a five year old)
*A coder with a more or less reasonable physical hygiene. I'd like to create Ponderabilia II in such a way it will hold up on different platforms.
*Someone dating AGS staff. Seriously, who do you have to schmooze up to get an award around here?

Let me know what you guys think, and we'll see where this leads.

All the best,

EDIT I:
I think I've got the main plot outlined. You can follow the script along if you wish. Here is the current and most recent version of the script.. All help is more than welcome.

EDIT II:
Primary sketch for one of the new main characters, Elisa.

EDIT III:

A first sketch of Nikee's new situation...

Mathias

Just wanted to chime in and give you my sincere best wishes. I liked the original game, despite the flaws you mentioned. With that in mind this could be great! Love the sketch of Elisa by the way.

moloko

Thanks, Mathias. I'm older now, and Ponderabilia I taught me a lot about game production in general. Everything's still very out in the open at the moment, but there's a general outline now you may find in the script version above. If you wish to pitch in, I'm all ears!

Val

coloring sketch, can be in ps. here's a quick cleanup and color-painting of the nikee sketch, sorry i took the liberty on the palette...

moloko

Not bad at all! :) I didn't expect anyone colouring in, tho, so a couple pointers on what is what:
*The deer is snow white.
*Her eyes are actually open, but they haven't got pupils and are radiant white.
*Nikee wouldn't wear pastels. Bright, vivid colors are ok, leaning towards punk whereever possible.

I love the soft backlighting on the arms! Feel free to pitch in scenario, location sketches and concept drawings BTW!

Val

Ah, I had actually thought her eyes were not closed but went and painted it anyway. Sorry, I haven't play Ponderabilia.

Myshkin

I have to admit I got stuck and never finished Ponderabilia (I'll get back to it some day), but I thought the setting and atmosphere were great. Love these new sketches! As you didn't list it I'm guessing you're maybe covered already, but if you need anything with sound design or music, I'd be happy to pitch in. Particularly if you're looking for any unsettling dark ambient music or sound atmospheres. Good luck with the project!

moloko

Thanks Emont! You're not the first one to get stuck in Ponderabilia, and it's something I seek to remedy in PB 2. :) Thanks for the offer on the music. It's very early day, but it's really good to know so many of you have skills and are willing to help out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk