The future of AGS Archives

Started by Peder 🚀, Fri 19/02/2016 22:42:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Peder 🚀

Last month due to multiple personal reasons I decided to discontinue the development of AGSA as the platform I once envisioned, and instead make it just a pure archive manually updated by myself.
I'm currently going through the process of adding all the games to the db, starting with all the games without a release date in the AGS db.
(so now at the start it's taking quite a bit of time, but once I get to the ones that HAVE release dates I should be able to implement some more automation to get the job done faster).

You can view the progress and a "preview" of the new site here: http://live.agsarchives.com/

Once I've added all the backlog of games I'll be adding new games once a week, or on demand, and at some point I'll hopefully add some filtering options etc.
After that I'll also possibly add more sections (addons, engine, resources).

Please take a sneak peak at the new AGSA and leave any feedback/suggestions you may have.

Also if anyone is interested, a lot of the games have really low res/quality screenshots, if you feel like spending time making new ones (one or more) please do!
Once done please upload them and paste them here along with the link to the game they are for.

Tabata

Those haven't screenies:

>>> http://live.agsarchives.com/game/56be606201629d1926e899f6

>>> http://live.agsarchives.com/game/56be615901629d1926e899f8

The other two don't have a download link or I wasn't able to run it, sorry.

Peder 🚀

Thanks Tabata!!!
I've uploaded and added the screens to the games! :)

Atavismus

Thx for your hard work Peder. :)
AGSA is essential for the preservation of every AGS game.
Any unavailable game is a loss imo.
Good job!

[delete}

Very good. AGS Archives with all it's advanced features will be one of a kind. It's 'teh way of the future..!'

necros

+1 looking forward for site, always dreamed of ags games in one place, feature req. - direct download links

Denzil Quixode

Since it's the 15th anniversary of the first MAGS this month, I went through and found all the games that I couldn't find any working download for online (at least without contacting people directly) - it would be great to have some of these available again!

2001:

• August: "Monkeyville (or How The Dread Pirate Jakob Acquired An Unhealthy Animosity Toward Primates)" (Nickboy77)

2002: (complete!)

• December: "MuuYeeb the Ghost" (Trapezoid)

2003:

• June: "Barry Snotter and the Meaning of Life" (wOoDz with Hotshot)
  • September: "Terence Independent Terminator" (Paranoia)
  • September: [winner!] "Genbus Favour" (taryuu)

2004: (complete!)

2005: (complete!)

2006: (complete!)

2007: (complete!)

2008: (complete!)

2009: (complete!)

• June: "Souls Quest" (jerakeen)
  • July: [winner!] "Billy Boy's Important Wine Lottery" (Gudforby)
  • August: "The Secret Plan 1 - Running to stand still" (tzachs)
  • October: [winner!] "Samarkand" (Babar)
  • October: "The Energizer" (tzachs)
  • October: "Ted McBinky and his Steam Engine" (FSi)
  • October: "One Of A Kind" (Crimson Wizard)
  • November: "The Hunt for Goldbeard" (Bulbapuck)
  • December: [winner!] "Snow Queen - After The Apocalypse" (Kastchey)

2010: (complete!)

• April: "Dead Hand" (Limping Fish)
  • April: "ALPHABETA" (Crimson Wizard)
  • May: [winner!] "Wall-E: The Fan Game" (markbilly)
  • May: "Living Nightmare: Endless Dreams" (Domithan)
  • June: [winner!] "Tale" (Calin Leafshade)
  • September: "Abduction" (mode7)

2011: (complete!)

• January: "Death as it Is" (Zetsaika)
  • April: "RunAway" (Matti)
  • September: [winner!] "Forest Dweller" (icey games)

2012: (complete!)

• January: "Scum Pub" (Ekeko)
  • January: [winner!] "HUBRIS" (Ghost)
  • April: "Between the Pillars of Creation" (Cogliostro)

2013: (complete!)

• May: "Deep Hope" (Cleanic)
  • August: "Summer Woes" (Adeel S. Ahmed and Oldschool_Wolf)

2014:

• May: "Urgent Quest" (Hedge)
  • July: [winner!] "The New Familiar" (Granary)

2015: (complete!)

• June: "Fanbots" (LostTrainDude, Kastchey, CaptainD)

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Denzil Quixode

Yep, well spotted! :) I was going to try to make it as complete as possible before mentioning it on the forum... the ones I could find, I set up a mirror there. I put about 50 into the "Community Software" area that anyone can upload to, then sent an email to info@archive.org requesting a dedicated collection for MAGS games and listing all the ones I already uploaded, which they did after a couple of days.

Peder 🚀

This is brilliant Denzil, thanks for the info! :), will take a better look next week.

Denzil Quixode

Quote from: Peder on Tue 07/06/2016 19:00:59
This is brilliant Denzil, thanks for the info! :), will take a better look next week.
Thank you!! As you can see I've been crossing a few off the list as I took another look... 2010 seems to have the biggest memory hole now.

Peder 🚀

I have some of these games on mags.agsarchives.com:
Quote from: Denzil Quixode on Fri 03/06/2016 22:50:46
2002:

2003:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

2013:

2015:

Denzil Quixode

Fantastic! :smiley: Thanks so much. I missed the existence of mags.agsarchives.com completely...

Quote(There is also a v3: http://mags.agsarchives.com/2010/2010-09/Abduction%20v3.zip but might be enhancements after MAGS)

And thanks for clarifying this -- to be honest I'm not even sure how many of the games I didn't mention only seem to exist as post-MAGS editions.

Adeel

Quote from: Peder on Thu 16/06/2016 19:43:31

Brilliant, mate! Thank you so much for preserving this shitty excellent game of mine. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: I had been looking for the completed game ever since I lost my files!

Peder 🚀

The new website is now live, and all though there is minimal amount of games on there atm I've implemented a "legacy mode".
So any old gamecard/download links will go through the new site, but if the game doesn't yet exist on the site it will forward you to a legacy site.
This way no links should break and as soon as each game is added to the new site those links will automatically be redirected to the game on the new site.

It's still very barebones when it comes to colours etc, I'll be looking to improve the design here and there as time goes by!

Crimson Wizard

Peder, I would like to ask, will your new site be hosting all the previous AGS versions, as it did before?
I am asking because I wanted to suggest AGA to replace "older versions" links at homepage with the link to AGS Archives, if possible.

Peder 🚀

I do plan on doing this yeah, the legacy site should've had up to 3.2.1 but there seems to be a bug with the download script, I'll take a look at that this weekend... Or look at adding the engine page to the new site :).
http://legacy.agsarchives.com/engine.html

edit: all engine downloads should now be working :)

[delete}

During my daily browsing routine on AGS Archives, I recognized this tiny little field at the very bottom... :shocked:

MAGSAN - what does this mean?

Danvzare

Quote from: Amélie on Wed 10/08/2016 12:45:23
During my daily browsing routine on AGS Archives, I recognized this tiny little field at the very bottom... :shocked: 

MAGSAN - what does this mean?
It's the Monthly AGS Archives Newsletter.

[delete}

Ok, subscribed!   

MAGSAN is 'teh way of the future'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk