[RELEASED] BSG78 - Unexpected at the Rising Star

Started by Cassiebsg, Fri 26/02/2016 21:34:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Okay, it's time to commemorate my finding AGS 2 years ago and thinking "YES! This is just what I wanted to finally do that game I started back in 98!" (laugh)(roll)

No, this is not that game, yet. But this is a short game and will double as tech demo for the bigger full size game. ;) anyway, no more blah blah, you guys want more than me babbling (laugh) .

BSG78 - Unexpected at the Rising Star

Based in the original TV series Battlestar Galactica from 78/79, comes this short story where you control Starbuck who will soon fly a solo mission to test a new viper and has a reward, he got "dinner" for 2 in the luxurious liner Rising Star. After Athena declines the invite due to her being on duty, Starbuck not one to eat alone and miss opportunities, invites Cassiopeia who accepts. You take control of Starbuck as he just got a private room for him and Cassiopeia unsuspecting that Athena is on her way to surprise him, after being relieved of duty... can you be cunning enough to not be caught dating 2 girls at once? (roll)
    This scene was taken from the episode The Long Patrol as I always thought it was a funny scene (even if some stuff make little sense)...

Screenshots:
[IMGzoom]http://i.imgur.com/JfkkZlY.png[/imgzoom]

[IMGzoom]http://i.imgur.com/i1tpaAU.png[/imgzoom]

Progress (beats me how one measures this... (wtf) ).

Story: 100%
    Scripting: 95%
    Graphics: 99%
    Sound: 95%
    Music: 90%

Features:
    - Resolution: 1024x576 32bit
    - Alternate endings (after unlocking game)
    - 2 playable characters
    - 4 Playable rooms
    - Scumm VerbCoin GUI v1.7.1 Verbcoin v1.1 (by monkey0506) Custom right click VerbCoin based on part of monkey0506's code.
    - Easter egg
    - 2 lovely ladies
    - Selection of sound track to use: Default (by Eric Galluzzo ), MP3 or Audio CD.
    - Almost full Keyboard control.
    - Save of game settings.
    - Hopefully some fun play even if you know nothing about Galactica. ;)

Help wanted:
        I'll be opening a thread in the appropriate forum and then link it here. Say tuned!

Currently looking for: Translators (any language), Beta testers

Expected completion:
        Soon... ??? Probably, hopefully, Mid ? 2017...

Voice acting cast list:
    Narrator: Mandle (80% ?)
    Adama: Mandle (90% ?)
    Starbuck: Captain D
    Cassiopeia: Xanthippe
    Athena: DuckLady (95%)
    Waiter: Haggis (Done)
    Deimos: CaptainD (Done) - Thanks to Michael for great effort, pity we couldn't get the sound quality up. :~(
    Master Jarl: Danvzare (Done)
    Annoncer: DuckyLady (Done)
    Anya: Ana Neves (Done)
    Easter Egg: CaptainD (Done?)

Music: Eric Galluzzo
    SFX: CaptainD

UPDATES
    12 May 2017: Intro movie added:

8 Jan 2017 : New voice for Anya. :-D

1st & 2nd December - Yeah...am still not that good with these thing called "updates". :-[
Anyway made a small teaser showing the first couple minutes of game play.  Enjoy! (nod)

[

18 September: Uhm... I seem to have hibernated during August, sorry about that. :-[ I'm back at doing missing animations and have now started to add them to the game... So work is again going forward! (nod) And welcome aboard to Eric Galluzzo, who has agreed to work on the sound track! :-D

5th June: Oops... still no Beta, but after a break doing MAGS I'm now back in the saddle, hopefully with renewed blood. ;)
    Here are the highlights from thread updates:

25th March: Added support for walking with keyboard (Keyboard Movement 102 module), Read/Write in game settings to file (IniFile module by Wyz), Tween module is also installed, but haven't really done anything with it yet (besides making the top GUI drop down). There's still a few technical issues that need to be fixed/added/patched, but most of the "behind the scenes" seems to now be in place. Game play wise... don't think it's even reach 50%... but probably close to that. :-D Now that most of the "bottle necks" are solved, then I expect game play coding to move faster. ;) So lets hope Blender is in cooperative mode, so I can add some animations to go along. (nod)

21 March: New screen shoot for the hallway with VerbCoin in action.

27/February & 10 March:

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Haha awesome, looking forward to seeing what you do with this. ;-D

NickyNyce

I loved Battlestar Galactica. Looks and sounds very interesting. Good luck with finishing this.

Stupot

Looking good. I'm not familiar with BSG though. Should I watch the show before playing this? :-D

AnasAbdin

This would be great. A good looking short game that is a teaser for a longer one (laugh)

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 26/02/2016 21:34:02Progress (beats me how one measures this... (wtf) ).

It shouldn't actually be that hard for a short game! How many rooms is the game? How much have you completed? Average sprites per: room, character, objects.. etc. See how much you've done. Same applies for sounds, story line, code.

We know the numbers are not very precise, but they give us an idea how much you are dedicated to the project and how big is the project itself ;)
The number usually increase by updates, however, sometimes things happen like additional puzzles and rooms which may cause the progress percentages to decrease. For example, if the game is 4 rooms and you completed 3, then later you decide to add 5 more rooms in the design (nod)

Cassiebsg

Thanks guys. (nod)

@Stu, no need to watch the show, if you don't feel like it, hopefully I can make it so it's still fun to play even for non fans or people that don't know the show. ;)

@Anas, I get the "theory", which I tried to apply, but it's hard for me to judge exactly how much scripting and graphics amount, since I'm one of those "on the fly" and to add to injury, also inexperienced... I write as I develop the game, and do the animations I need when I'm coding. As well as inventory items and such... It's like "oh, I need a xyz here...!" then open Blender, make it (if not done yet) render, get the sprite in and then code. Story is in my head, so even dialogs get developed on the fly (which means that sometimes my characters get "alive" and take the story another way than I originally thought. I've gotten my self into a corner more often than not when writing fanfic.... (laugh)(roll) ). But fear a not, I got a friend that promised to help out with dialogs, so hopefully he's better at writing than I am. (laugh)

Here's a little animation that you might not even see in game, depending what options you choose... (wtf)(laugh)

Mandle

Great to hear you're working on your dreams, Cassie...I'd forgotten that BSG had these kind of "Love Boat" side-dramas going on, as I watched it as a kid and only cared about the space battles.

I must ask though: Was your Starbuck model originally a female model that you tweaked? His hips/thighs look a tad feminine to me, and his pecs look a little like breasts. Or has our swashbuckling ladies' man just put on a little weight?

Disclaimer: No, I'm not saying that women are fat. Just that if a male has the more rounded lines of the female form it often means they are slightly chubby.

Cassiebsg

Thanks Mandle. :)

No, he was always a male, complain to Make Human, since I used their program. (laugh) I mostly just tried getting the face right, though it's not that right either. Was originally planning to project paint the actors face but after a somewhat first failed attempt, I decided not to do that - cause I was afraid I would get into trouble. I know thata Realm Press, who did some BSG comics some years ago, they had actor likeness and after a few issues, they were ordered to stop using character likeness.

But yeah, I didn't bother much modeling the body, just put the mesh at 100% male adjusted height and such and then went on to try and getting close to the face as possible. I might suck a bit at this. (roll)(laugh)

SilverSpook

Yeah, I do have to say the model was slightly androgynous.  Actually, I thought it was a female Starbuck TBH.  I think the soft curvy roundness of the thigh area, shoulder-to-hip proportions, and boobly chest are what did it.  Oh, and maybe lack of the Area, as in the 'David Bowie's Area', area. :D  Just make sure the voice actor overcompensates with an extremely testosterone-filled, baritone-register performance.  I mean really, your character has a fever, and the only cure for it, is a whole lotta cowbell.  And by cowbell I mean unbridled machismo.  :)

I mean other than that the animation looks good.

Gurok

Cassie, this looks so wonderful. I'm so glad it's finally taking shape.

I think the models (even Starbuck) are fine. To me, he looks a little stocky but not feminine.

I really like your choice of resolution too.

Good luck with the production! I'd love to help test the beta when it's ready.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

@SilverSpook, now you're the 3rd person to call him a she...(roll) I'll see about tweaking the model before the final release, I have to redo his walk cycle anyway, cause am not 100% satisfied with it, just like 90%... Also need to do redo Cassie's model slightly, her breaths are a bit too big. (not that any male will complain... (laugh))

Thanks, Gurok. :) I'll sign you in as Beta tester. (nod)

agentbauer

Looks very promising. I just watched the episode "The Long Patrol", and that game might be really funny ;)
I'd also love to help testing.
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

Cassiebsg

Cool!
Thanks agentbauer. :-D
Consider yourself signed up as tester. (nod)

SilverSpook

I am definitely into Cassie's huge boobs and badonkadonk.  :)

agentbauer

Quote from: SilverSpook on Sun 28/02/2016 19:40:17
I am definitely into Cassie's huge boobs and badonkadonk.  :)
I thought about writing that, but, well, you've been faster :tongue:

Will there also be C.O.R.A. in the game (the female Viper computer) ?
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

jwalt

I'd signed on to help Cassie by modeling 3D things like pots and pans. She's been fiarly easy to get along with, until she asked for a specific axe. Took several tries to get it past her quality control, and I am now wondering if this might be an indication that Starbuck's date doesn't end well.  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

LOL
Nothing as violent, am afraid... (roll)

@agentbauer, no flying in this little short game/demo, sorry to disappoint you. It's actually only that scene that takes what? 5 minutes long? Game ends when Cassiopeia and Athena meet in the hallway...

And a little update (no pictures though). Have now redone Starbuck, Cassiopeia, Athena and the Waiter's sprites. Not sure if Starbuck's front view improved anything, but Cassie is much better (in my eyes anyway (laugh) ).
Spent most of the weekend trying to get the verbcoin working the way I wanted... trashed the Scumm Verbcoin away cause I was unable to figure out the code and change it, and am now using Monkey0506's Verbcoin instead. Almost have it working like I want, but can't seem to figure how to set up the graphic to change over the selected option... any help out there?

Ps - Let me add that jwalt is doing great as the man with all the room decorations! (nod)

Edit: Figured out the verbcoin graphics, just regular buttons. (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Just a little update.

And so enters Athena all of a sudden into the scene:
[IMGzoom]http://i.imgur.com/OvwVHLT.gif[/IMGzoom]

I seem to have misplaced her star... :-[ Hope to find it again before the release... maybe I'll also find their shadows by then! (nod)
Progress been a bit slower than I had hoped, as I've been struggling to get the Verbcoin working like I want. There's still a few default actions annoying the heck out of me cause I can't locate the code... think I may have found some of it though. But since what's left doing are mostly minor irritations, I'll leave it like this for now and go back at it at a later time. Soon the easter egg is more polished than the rest of the game... (roll)

Doing (hopefully final render for 3 of the 4 rooms), added a bunch of useless hotspots and some if/else if/else conditions, fine tuning the code for the first private room. Need to render a few items and make a few animations... Hopefully will have those done tomorrow. :) Progress is slow, but moving sure & steady. Also made a Help menu... though for your experts out there, there's not much help to get in the help menu. (laugh)

Voice acting has now two offers. So still long way to go, since I doubt they wish to do all the voices...

Still looking for help.

SilverSpook

I guess I could try voicing something but I have difficulty not sounding like either a gangster or a programmer.  So unless you have Ice Cube churning out Killer Apps in your game, you're outta luck.  :)

I can also do a rather convincing Billy Corgan impression, though.

Also, Athena looks cool, real stompy!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk