MAGS March "New Seasons" (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Tue 01/03/2016 00:30:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The competition is now closed and the winner is:
A Sloth for Both Seasons by CaptainD, Selmiak and Creamy.

Well done guys.

Topic: New Seasons
This month's guidelines were set by Matt Frith

"It's a new season for all of us but where we are in the world determines which one. Let's see if we can make some games that demonstrate the change from one season to another. For example having the winter snows thaw into the new growth of spring.  You could even create weird and wacky seasonal changes if you want."

Ending:  March 31st

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

CaptainD

Interesting concept.  Reminds me of an indie game I've played recently. 

>Thinking...

>Thinking...

>...

CaptainD

Okay it's a real shame to see no posts here?!?! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Anyway, possibly too early to say definitely, but Creamy, Selmiak and I may have something... hope to be able to elaborate next week.

DBoyWheeler

In a small way, it makes me think of Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2, in that different things happen depending on the seasons.

Anyway, best of luck to all who participate in this.

Retro Wolf

@DBoy: I'd love to make a Pokemon-like game in AGS one day!

It's an interesting theme and I'm almost tempted to participate again this month, but I've got something else cookin.

Gurok

I was actually thinking about this for the RON theme last month. You could collect all of the RON characters.

PokéRON or RONémon.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Kumpel

@CaptainD. Is it 400 Years? That came to my mind in an instant too :) Maybe a good inspiration for participants (nod)

CaptainD

Quote from: Kumpel on Mon 14/03/2016 11:17:27
@CaptainD. Is it 400 Years? That came to my mind in an instant too :) Maybe a good inspiration for participants (nod)

You'll have to wait and see ;) - but I think we're nearly ready to give out some details.  It's not the game you mentioned though, I hadn't heard of that until about ten seconds ago when I visited the "Name the Game" thread!

DBoyWheeler

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Mon 14/03/2016 11:12:47
@DBoy: I'd love to make a Pokemon-like game in AGS one day!

Ironic how you brought that up, Retro Wolf... I want to someday do a Pokemon AGS series... basically a Pokemorph (anthro Pokemon) version of Quest for Glory.  It even plays out like said series, where you can select a Warrior, Magician, or Thief, and even has a chance to make a Paladin!  :-D  The main character is an anthro Rattata (later Raticate), but there'll be other anthro Pokemon too.

But... back to the main subject of the MAGS theme (before we get too sidetracked).  I have way too much on my plate as it is (yes, the story of my life), but if I were to take part... I'd find a way so each month has a different season (a la Pokemon Black/White/Black2/White2; this would prevent people from having to wait three whole months for a new season to appear), and some of the quests (or at least the inventory items) can only be found at a certain season.

CaptainD

Okay folks we are ready to announce - we have a game!  IT's getting there... (mainly thanks to Creamy) - I think Selmiak's doing something (where are you mate?!) - and I've definitely been involved, I'm almost sure of it.

Anyway, our game is... A Sloth for Both Seasons

Set in the Amazon rain forest, you play a female sloth who has to do... sloth-type things.  Slowly.  Well there's more, but for now I'm not going to tell you, as it would spoil things.

Features:
- Flight of the Amazon Queen style graphics
- Animal noises made by me!
- Puzzles of a puzzling nature
- Some degree of accuracy in terms of what happens in the natural world
- An accelerated day / night cycle to reflect the sloth's slow actions (if we made the player character incredibly slow it would drive everyone nuts, so we've made the player speed normal and the world around her faster)
- If you're really unlucky, you might find I've performed a short song

In the Amazon there are only two seasons - the Dry Season and the Wet Season.  Both of these will be portrayed in the game.  (We were actually planning the traditional 4 seasons before realising this!)

cat

I am so going to play this... ...slowly :-D

Mandle

That sounds like an amazing concept, especially the accelerated time bit....Kinda a bit like 400 years but all the time instead of togglable (which is, it seems, a candidate for a new accepted word but hasn't quite made it yet. An alternative spelling is "toggleable" but I prefer the former: Support this poor, struggling word by using it in a RL conversation today!)

Stupot

Ten days to go. Do we only have one contender?
Oh well, I'm a-rootin' for you guys to give us at least one entry :-)

Myshkin

I'm considering doing one this time, but if I do it will be a short joke "not a game" type of game, so it won't be any stiff competition! (roll)

Danvzare

Quote from: Emont on Mon 21/03/2016 08:50:29
I'm considering doing one this time, but if I do it will be a short joke "not a game" type of game, so it won't be any stiff competition! (roll)

I wouldn't sell yourself short.
I rather enjoy short joke games. :)

Mandle

That screen is just gorgeous to look at...I would download it even if it was just a screensaver that cycled from season to season.

But with gameplay to boot?! I'm so excited!!!

Is it like an eviromental sim kinda thing: a sloth survival game....or is it an adventure game where you're a sloth?!

And can we go into those ruins?! Indiana Sloans (Slow'uns to be really on-the-nose)?!

CaptainD

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 27/03/2016 03:19:19
Is it like an eviromental sim kinda thing: a sloth survival game....or is it an adventure game where you're a sloth?!

It's an AG.  (Though in the future, a "sloth survival game" could be kinda fun maybe! :grin:)

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 27/03/2016 03:19:19
And can we go into those ruins?! Indiana Sloans (Slow'uns to be really on-the-nose)?!

I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see....

Danvzare

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 27/03/2016 11:27:35
a "sloth survival game" could be kinda fun maybe! :grin:)

It would certainly be a slow game. (laugh)

CaptainD

Quote from: Danvzare on Sun 27/03/2016 13:00:40
Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 27/03/2016 11:27:35
a "sloth survival game" could be kinda fun maybe! :grin:)

It would certainly be a slow game. (laugh)

I guess we could maybe do something along the lines of "Sim Brick"! :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk