I need to fill my Inspiration Tank (Writer's Block) :(

Started by Yitcomics, Tue 08/03/2016 02:26:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Yitcomics

I'm currently trying to make a game about a guy somehow got sucked into another world full of weird creatures and trying to find a way to return home.
But i'm having writers block :sad:,so i'm trying to read/watch on materials that kinda have the same theme so I can get some inspiration.

Do you guys have any recommendation for any movie/comic/game,that has the character stuck in a world that is full of weird creatures.I'm not sure how to word it but i'm not looking for something like Wizard of Oz or Alice in the Wonderland.But something like Spirited Away instead.

EDIT:Just listing all of the suggestion that was given here so I can easily go and get a quick review.

Movies
Pan Labyrinth
Labyrinth
The Never Ending Story
Hellboy
Dark Crystal
John Carter

Comics
The Arrival

Game
Outcast
ToeJam & Earl
LSD:Dream Emulator

Animation
Over the Garden Wall
Caroline
Adventure Time

Books with no pictures := a.k.a Novel
Gulliver's Travel
Only Foward
Spares

Drugs(Suggested by Mandle(laugh))
LSD
(I'm kidding,i'm kidding)

Series
Farscape....Nah Stargate RULES!(lol).But in all seriousness I might be too lazy to follow a series unless its animation.

Gurok

The Narnia books, maybe? Gulliver's Travels?

Oh wait, can it not be a book?
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Yitcomics

Quote from: Gurok on Tue 08/03/2016 02:40:15

Yes it can(but I might be too lazy to read :-[ lol),Gulliver's Travels isn't a world filled with weird creatures but tiny people :P.

Danvzare

Adventure Time (I don't like the show, but it's definitely got the whole "world with weird creatures" thing going on)
Parodius (Not much in the way of story, but it's definitely weird)
LSD: Dream Emulator (Not much in the way of weird creatures, but definitely weird world)
ToeJam and Earl (Definitely a world with weird creatures, although in this case, said world is Earth... still weird though)
Animal Crossing (Probably a perfect fit for you, depending on how you look at the game)

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/03/2016 11:46:39
Labyrinth

(nod)

Hahaha was just coming here to mention Labyrinth...And also:

Hellboy 1&2, and Pan's Labyrinth (any movie by Guillermo del Toro basically)

Fitz

Hm... What about Alice in Wonderland? Or The Wizard of Oz?

EDIT: Oh drat, where was my head? (roll)

Check out "The Arrival", though - a comic by Shaun Tan.

Danvzare

Quote from: Fitz on Tue 08/03/2016 12:21:47
Hm... What about Alice in Wonderland? Or The Wizard of Oz?

He just said that he wasn't looking for things like Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz, and that instead he was looking for something similar to Spirited Away.
Which is confusing, because Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz are similar to Spirited Away.

Also, I'd like to add Peter Pan and Jack and the Beanstalk to the list of suggestions.

Snarky

Stupot

What about The Neverending Story?
To be honest I haven't seen that for over 20 years and can't remember what it has in the way of weird creatures, but I think I kind of fits the bill.

Snarky

Quote from: Yitcomics on Tue 08/03/2016 02:51:31
Gulliver's Travels isn't a world filled with weird creatures but tiny people :P.

... and giant people. And people who live on a floating island. And talking horses. And Japanese. And immortals...

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/03/2016 15:01:47
What about The Neverending Story?
To be honest I haven't seen that for over 20 years and can't remember what it has in the way of weird creatures, but I think I kind of fits the bill.

Except I don't think Bastian wants to go back, does he? (I haven't read it in a long time either)

I thought of a couple of others that lean more towards horror:

- Neil Gaiman's Coraline (book and film)
- Several books by Michael Marshall Smith, including Only Forward and Spares

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 08/03/2016 23:08:23
Tv show: Farscape (nod)
I watched 40 episodes of that last year... and honestly I can't understand its appeal. It's so bizarre and leaves you with a depressed feeling after each and every episode. I want to finish it all just to see why everyone says it gets better, but I haven't reached that point yet. It's like the emo depressing version of Stargate.

Yitcomics

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 08/03/2016 14:32:40
Over the Garden Wall (nod)
I've never watched Over the garden wall,always heard about it.It might be what i'm looking for.

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 08/03/2016 12:54:37
He just said that he wasn't looking for things like Alice in Wonderland or The Wizard of Oz, and that instead he was looking for something similar to Spirited Away.
Which is confusing, because Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz are similar to Spirited Away.

Well I know the theme are almost the same but i'm trying to find stories about a world full of these weird and bizarre creatures,it might also be disturbing(which might lean towards horror),something more than a talking lion or rabbit.Spirited Away might not be the perfect fit to what i'm looking for but it's closer.Just clearing things up of what i'm looking for,appreciate all of the other suggestion. ;)

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 08/03/2016 11:52:23
Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 08/03/2016 11:46:39
Labyrinth

(nod)

Hahaha was just coming here to mention Labyrinth...And also:

Hellboy 1&2, and Pan's Labyrinth (any movie by Guillermo del Toro basically)

Labyrinth and The Never Ending Story,I forgot all about them,never seen them though I planned to.But I always procrastinate and put it on the "Need to watch this later" list.Maybe it's time to give it a go :)

Danvzare

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Wed 09/03/2016 04:05:23
Quote from: Cassiebsg on Tue 08/03/2016 23:08:23
Tv show: Farscape (nod)
I watched 40 episodes of that last year... and honestly I can't understand its appeal. It's so bizarre and leaves you with a depressed feeling after each and every episode. I want to finish it all just to see why everyone says it gets better, but I haven't reached that point yet. It's like the emo depressing version of Stargate.

I freaking love Farscape!
Although if you've watched 40 episodes, and still don't like it, then I'm sorry... you're never going to like it (which is ok, not everyone has the same tastes).
Also, I find it funny that you compared it to Stargate. I usually do that too, but I call Stargate the boring version of Farscape.

Cassiebsg

Must agree with Danvzare. If you don't like it after 40 eps, then give it up. The last season and mini doesn't get better (at least for my taste, which seems opposite to yours, so maybe it does for you? (roll)(laugh) ).
I got hooked on it after ep 4, and loved it ever since, on my top 2 fav shows of all time! (and it's not hard to guess what the other show is ;) ).

Oh, Babylon 5 is also a good choice to watch.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Babar

I liked the early seasons of Farscape, but it went spiralling out of control, and I lost interest when it got a bit too convoluted.
If it is just weird and exotic characters, a lot of good space scifi would fit the bill, though :D.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Kumpel

That sounds almost like John Carter. You can find comics and a movie afaik. Also you could try the fabulous PC game Outcast. Check out lets plays in YT or try it yourself.you can get it on GOG.

Mathias

Quote from: Yitcomics on Tue 08/03/2016 02:51:31
Quote from: Gurok on Tue 08/03/2016 02:40:15

Yes it can(but I might be too lazy to read :-[ lol),Gulliver's Travels isn't a world filled with weird creatures but tiny people :P.

Then you only watched the movies ;) Gulliver met various creatures during his travels on various island visits often with a context of social critique directed at society at the time the works were written. Not just the tiny people.

If you want to write - I'd recommend to read though - as much as you can of all sorts of things. If you're stuck you might try experiment with thinking about "what would not happen" in your scenario just to try to get the thought machinery going - and then you might end up with something usable.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk