Calm Waters - A 2.5D Point & Click Mystery Thriller Adventure Game

Started by DazJ, Sun 20/03/2016 14:35:18

Previous topic - Next topic

DazJ

Long time no speak!

I don't know if any of you remember me but I once frequented these forums a good few years back now. I just thought some of you may be interested in this project and I wondered if any of you fancied helping me out :)

I was developing "Calm Waters" with AGS but eventually decided to use Unity and Adventure Creator as it has a lot of features that I required.

I run Tayanna Studios - a one-man company dedicated to making addictive adventure games with rich storytelling.

Calm Waters is a 2.5D point & click mystery thriller adventure game now out on Windows, Mac and Linux and can be purchased from Steam here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/541350/Calm_Waters/

It was a project that took over 6 years of my life.

Here's some screenshots:

Story:

Tourists disappearing and blood-curdling screams from a mysterious island out to sea...What secrets does this holiday paradise hold? Perhaps it's time to find out...

Peter Taylor's wife is dead.

One day he decided to take a vacation abroad. He arrives at a small, quiet coastal town where tourists are sparse and everybody knows each other. It's only when he notices people are going missing and all the signs point to a dark, mysterious island out to sea that he decides to team up with local journalist Michelle and terrified-yet-adventure-seeking waiter Glenn to go and investigate.

What secrets does the island hold? What are the locals hiding? And what's causing those blood-curdling screams that seem to be coming from that mysterious island in the dead of night?

Calm Waters is a 2D classic point and click thriller/mystery/horror influenced by the likes of Lost and Twin Peaks.

Calm Waters features:

- Professional voice actors
- Full 1080p HD 2D pre-rendered backgrounds
- Intriguing characters
- An immersive story full of twists and turns
- An atmospheric soundtrack

CaptainD

Hi Daz!

I was wondering what had become of your and your game.  Looks good, all the best for the Kickstarter, I've featured your game on my PC gaming blog which I hope will give you a little more exposure (don't get many visitors so don't expect too much, but might give a little assistance!).

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

m0ds

Cool, I should be able to back it before the timer runs out. Just curious, is micamic still doing the music?

Frodo

I backed it before, and I backed it again this time around.

Great that your Kickstarter says it will be DRM-free, so we're not forced to use steam.  You should promote the DRM-free aspect more.  :wink:

m0ds

I'm gonna back it, but you could really do with some more tiers and incentives? ie I don't see the soundtrack being offered in any form. No dvd-rom if you spend 200 quid. Between 25 and 50 pounds all you get extra is an HD wallpaper which has about as much use to me personally as a turd in the ocean. Can't really justify 25 quid just to get a JPEG image. Jump another 50 pounds and there will be a photo of you in the game. These are extremely questionable perks. If nothing else I'd suggest you consider some inbetween levels in there too, or you might find yourself struggling to get people to part with cash for a very small number of tiers near the end of it.

There are many KS's out there you could take a look at for ideas, Nelly Fowl Fleet, Demetrios Cynical Adventure, Lancelot's hangover just to name a few. Sometimes they do limited time tiers and sometimes add additional tiers (which is fine, cos people can change their pledge up to end of campaign). They all had good variety of tiers, good incentives, and that's ultimately why they got funded. This being your 2nd KS attempt, I would've thought you may have been a little bit more ambitious this time when it comes to what people get for backing it? I understand we can't all offer incentives like some of the projects out there, but think perhaps there could be some room for other digital items you could offer to open up a few smaller tiers like 20 and 40 or such. Just sayin'. In KS world it's pretty obvious why yours might struggle, is all. Well, maybe 13 days time will prove me wrong and hopefully so... but the kind of things that might entice people outside of AGS community to back you just seem far and few between on your KS at the moment.

I personally would be happy to part with a 40 tier, which is the amount I usually spend on KS' if perhaps you threw in the soundtrack. 50 is typically a bit over my personal limit. From various comments on campaign threads in the past, other people who don't have as much always appreciate several lower tiers, at least covering 5, 10, 15, 20. And this is where your majority of backers are gonna be, the lower level tiers. I certainly did rely on those lower tiers myself when KS first came about and I had little money. I don't mean to be grumpy, the campaign itself is very nice! It's just when you come to choose and pledge... the "options" shall we say are a little lacking. IMO anyone who can program an adventure game puzzle and make a GUI that does something other than show an inventory, is someone who can create a myriad of KS tiers and level-up style options to entice backers/players, so don't be afraid to be creative with those bits where cash is actually parted with ;)

DazJ

Calm Waters is now officially available to purchase from Steam! :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/541350/Calm_Waters/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk