Unavowed - Released on August 8th!

Started by Dave Gilbert, Mon 21/03/2016 18:28:40

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashPL

Awesome! I really like watching other devs busy at work on streams like this one. :D
I know it has been said countless times already, but I really adore those graphics! Everything is so alive and pretty to look at!

Dave Gilbert

Just imported the 10,000th frame of animation into Unavowed!

Well, at least I'm excited.

SilverSpook

My drawing hand hurts just reading that post.

Nice work though!

Blondbraid

Wow, that's an impressive number!  8-0

Danvzare

Wow, you reached that number fast. Impressive.
You'll have to tell us what the final number ends up being. :-D

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

That's 1/3 of AGS sprite limit... :-X

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Danvzare on Tue 07/03/2017 12:59:06
Wow, you reached that number fast. Impressive.
You'll have to tell us what the final number ends up being. :-D

Here's the current stats, if you're interested:

Dave Gilbert

Sometimes you just have to suck out an old man's soul.
[imgzoom]http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/temp/oldmansuck.gif[/imgzoom]

Danvzare

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Thu 09/03/2017 15:17:58
Sometimes you just have to suck out an old man's soul.
Darn gold-diggers! (laugh)

SilverSpook

Awesome animation!  Those old men have some tasty souls on'em.

Dave Gilbert

Blondbraid

Is this game inspired from Bioware RPGs? That sounds Awesome! ;-D

Dave Gilbert

Thanks! It also might explain why it's taking so darn long...

Monsieur OUXX

QuoteGilbert continues to do things with AGS that I didn't think were possibleâ€"and then he says it's easy. Maybe it is, for him, but I can't help but think if it were actually easy we'd see more quality AGS titles.
Well, I don't think the difficulty comes from AGS. I think the difficulty comes from managing a low-budget indie game project all the way to the end.
The weird thing, though, is that AGS' simplicity drags in many hobbyists. They end up believing that AGS is only, well, for hobbyists. And, since the tool is easy, then it's probably very easy too to make a long game. Which it isn't. Hence the failures. Whereas the (relative) complexity of Unity is like an entrance barrier that discourages non-serious designers.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Mon 20/03/2017 14:23:34
Well, I don't think the difficulty comes from AGS.<...>
The weird thing, though, is that AGS' simplicity drags in many hobbyists.<...> And, since the tool is easy,<...>

I was not actually using AGS for game making in several years, which could be a mistake, because when I eventually started using it again for real project, I was astounded with how annoyingly inconvenient the editing workflow is, especially in the Room Editor. If I were not busy with the engine, I would be rewriting room editor.

Thinking how people make larger games with it makes me sorry...

Dave Gilbert

This reminds me of when I (briefly) worked for CNN back in 1999 as a production assistant. Their entire system was DOS based. You had to enter in these long, complicated commands to get any kind of data. But that had been the workflow for a decade and everyone was used to it.

Then they changed to a windows-based system. It was easier, quicker, better organized, and faster. EVERYONE hated it. Nobody wanted to learn a new system, so they stuck with the old crappy one. As far as I know, they are still using it.

This is me and Unity. I am so used to AGS and its quirks that working around them has become second nature. Unity is, by all accounts, an easier system to use. But the learning curve is so sharp for me that I stick with AGS. :)

AndyfromVA

I can't wait for this game!

Dave Gilbert

...neither can I.

selmiak

This did read very stressed in my head, probably as you intended dave ;)
Keep it up and give us a release date 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk