Curvy floor or straight edge?

Started by Gurok, Mon 21/03/2016 23:48:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

Hello,

I'm having a fight with my artist. Which do you think is better? Curvy floor or straight edge?

Also, general C&C is welcome.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Blondbraid

I definitely prefer the the bottom image, but the perspective looks a bit off in both of them. :-\

Kumpel

I think I'd prefer the first picture's straightness, combined with the painting style of the second picture, wrapped in a cleaner perspective. (laugh)

Mandle

It it's planned to have a character walking around on the background the bottom picture with the curved perspective may cause weird issues as the character's walk direction will not curve with the perspective.

Danvzare

I Personally prefer the bottom one. It matches more with the artstyle.

Mouth for war

If you fix up the perspective i would prefer floor 1 with the artstyle of the bottom picture...yeah like kumpel said :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Grok

I would go with the straight line version but smooth out most of the lines. That will give the feeling of a tiled floor without showing how much liberties are taken with the perspective.

Myinah

It looks wrong because the puppy pen doesn't line up with the tiles. You would expect something like that built into the store to line up better with the wall, floor, and door. The angles for them all are just a bit off in my opinion so the floor doesn't line up as you would expect when there are lines involved. A building doesn't tend to fan out inside the way this one does. I know it's trying to convey the perspective but it's not quite right. I'm not sure how I would fix that though.

Gurok

I pretty much share Myinah's sentiments on this. If the tiles are at odd angles with the dog pen, the construction of the building doesn't really make sense. I also think we lose some character when going from the curved floor to the straight. This is more of a production issue, but it seems like we are bland-ardising (bland + standardising) too many of the backgrounds. Also, the curved tiles match the slightly concave facade of the shop.

I should add that CatPunter wanted to do a complete repaint to fix perspective, but time constraints have forced us to do otherwise. As a compromise, she's repainting the floor to fix perspective issues instead of the whole piece.

Grok, that was pretty much exactly what CatPunter suggested we do! I still don't like it though. I think it looks way too plain. It also doesn't look better (to me) than the bottom version.

We're going to do something a bit like what Kumpel suggested. Well, not really. We're doing a neat version of the bottom one. CatPunter's going to neaten up the tile sizes, but keep the feel of the tiles the same as the bottom version. They will be curved, but also a bit tidier and still clearly tiles (not a flat expanse).

Mandle, we'll be limiting the walkable area to the top half of the screen to avoid the problem you mentioned. And yes, that's something I noticed when testing it. There's a foreground piece missing from both of the mockups shown that will make the limited walkable area seem a bit more sensible.

Thanks everybody for the advice, especially Grok. That mockup was helpful.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

AnasAbdin

I'd say keep the curvy lines. If it's bothering you that much you can always put something near the camera..

NickyNyce

Maybe you could place a mat on the floor. That might help hide the tile pattern. You can also do what Anas Abdin did, except add a bone or squeaker toy in the shadow.

AnasAbdin did a pretty good job with the tiles. The room does look better.

Monsieur OUXX

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk