Hotspot GUI: Reveal Your Secrets?

Started by cipberbloom, Fri 25/03/2016 05:52:22

Previous topic - Next topic

cipberbloom

Hullo, all--

Very new to AGS, have some experience programming and scripting. I get the feeling nonetheless, that being someone doing her first game in AGS, I'm asking a question rather too far advanced.

Giving it a go anyway. :)

A number of adventure games I've played have featured a 'reveal hotspots' function (not using the programming term 'function'), usually activated via the spacebar. It used to strike me as sort of a cheater option, but I've since come to the conclusion that, were I there, I'd be investigating pretty much everything. So I don't want too much pixel hunting in my game, in other words. I do realise after extensive searching of the forums that some developers disagree. That's cool.

My search terms might not have been what was needed.  I would love to know, though, if there is a module or something else a more experienced AGSer could point me in the direction of (thread?). Even for future use...?

Thanks a million in advance. I do appreciate the community here.

All the best,

Xan

Slasher

Hi,

do you mean having a facility that gives away / shows a rooms' secrets?

If so, this can be done in a number of ways.

Can you explain more...?

Scavenger

That would be the ShowInteractiveAreas module!

I believe this module is the one you're looking for - it displays stuff over the top of everything else showing where all the clickable areas are. It's not too difficult to program something like this, you just iterate through the room's hotspots, objects, and the characters who are currently in the room and draw something to a surface that you display later.

cipberbloom

Yes, this is it! Thank you Slasher and Scavenger! Exactly what I've been looking for--all the clickable areas.

I guess it's not feasible for me to make every single item, sort-of item, speck of dust or paint a hotspot (though I'd love to), so having my sort of excessive number of hotspots instantly viewable will compensate. Excellent! Again, thanks.;-D

I'm still monkeying with walk-behinds, but having a good time.

All the best, everyone,

Xan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk