How to combine SaveGameSlot(), RestoreGame() and Text Overlays? [SOLVED]

Started by LostTrainDude, Wed 30/03/2016 18:48:07

Previous topic - Next topic

LostTrainDude

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to achieve what I think is a simple thing. I'm using AGS v3.4.0.6.

The game I'm working on has a single save slot. Whenever I hit the save button, I'd like the game to be saved at that slot and display "Game Saved!". The message will disappear after few seconds.
Then, when I restore that save, I'd like to display "Game loaded!".

In the documentation, it says that with SaveGameSlot() "The game will not be saved immediately; instead, it will be saved when the script function finishes executing".

At the moment I have this code in my GlobalScript.asc:
Code: ags

Overlay* myOverlay;

function repeatedly_execute_always() 
{
    if (IsTimerExpired(20))
    {
        myOverlay.Remove();
    }
}

function on_key_press(eKeyCode keycode) 
{
    if (keycode == eKeyF5)
    {
        SetTimer(20, 30);
        SaveGameSlot(1, "SaveGame");
        myOverlay = Overlay.CreateTextual(5, 5, 150, eFontfntTiny, 65535, "Game saved!");
    }

if (keycode == eKeyF6)
    {
        RestoreGameSlot(1);
	SetTimer(20, 30);
        myOverlay = Overlay.CreateTextual(5, 5, 150, eFontfntTiny, 65535, "Game loaded!");
    }
}

Now, since SaveGameSlot() only saves when the script function finishes executing, where should I put the Overlay code?

At the moment, when I restore the game it still carries on the "Game saved!" overlay.

Thanks in advance! :)

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Scavenger

By the time your restore game triggers, the following code will never be run, since when you restore a game, you aren't even at the same point in the script (you're instead at the point just after you saved).

So if you add:
Code: AGS

on_event (EventType event, int data)
{
    if (event == eEventRestoreGame)
    {
        SetTimer(20, 30);
        myOverlay = Overlay.CreateTextual(5, 5, 150, eFontfntTiny, 65535, "Game loaded!");
    }
}

It should work.

LostTrainDude

EVENTS!

Thanks a lot Scavenger! It works perfectly :)
I have never used events before and now I have definitely learned something new.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk