A realization...

Started by Stupot, Thu 31/03/2016 21:20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

I just posted my 5000th post on AGS. At first I was happy. But then I got to realizing that in 5000 posts all I have really achieved is a couple of shitty games no one plays and a couple of frankly genius Points Game solves. Other than that, this place is a complete time suck...

It is now 5am in Japan and I can't sleep. So it is with some regret that I want to express my intention to withdraw from pretending I am a game-designer like everyone else. I have met many okay people over the years and will continue to be active on Twitter, Facebook and Bebo, but I will not be posting here anymore. I will continue my duty as MAGS host for a couple of months until I can find a replacement worthy of the position. It will be a hard task, to be brutally honest.

Sorry, I'd better wrap this up.

So...

Goodbye

Stupot

selmiak

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 31/03/2016 21:20:09
I just posted my 5000th post on AGS. At first I was happy. But then I got to realizing that in 5000 posts all I have really achieved is a couple of shitty games no one plays and a couple of frankly genius Points Game solves.
congrats  :-D

Quote from: Stupot+ on Thu 31/03/2016 21:20:09
Other than that, this place is a complete time suck...
Of course! Just like games or life in general. I'd have so much more time if it would be passing slower. And because you needed 5000 post to realize this, you are totally hooked! cya round 8-)

Cassiebsg

Ah... :~(

Does it really matter how many games one has made? were those 5000 posts just wasted time? Or was it fun and entertaining?
Sure, most of the people here come to make games, others just cause they want to help making them or just plain play... but at the end of the day I've come to consider on this community more than just "make game or die"... I enjoy the friendship, even if I don't really know anyone here personally.
Of course, if it's no longer fun for you to be here, then leave... but be sure you'll be missed!
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Well... if that's really what you want to do, of course you should do it.  But I really don't think that being a game designer is actually a prerequisite of being a great forum member (which is how I think of you).

Retro Wolf

The internet is saturated by amateur games developers now, so I wouldn't get too hung up on lack of downloads.

You will be missed.

See you Space Cowboy...

vertigoaddict

Really going to miss ya Stupot, I mean, I'm one of those members that gets kidnapped, tied up and gagged by real life sometimes, but whenever I manage to break free and check out the forums you're one of the guys that seem to always be here (Well, I mean, 5000 posts right?), being really supportive to everyone and even sending the odd birthday message.

Don't deny your "game developer" title though, a game developer makes games, that's it. Besides, shit makes the flowers grow, you keep on making shit and one of these days you're going to end up with a bunch of big ass pretty flowers, yeah?

NickyNyce

Are you telling me I won't be seeing my favorite movie monster posting anymore?

"Godzilla roar in the background"

jwalt

And, I'm not so sure leaving the forum is as easy as Stupot+ thinks. That Spoons III project I'm working on was based on a game made by Irishrichy. He hadn't been active since 2009. The RoN moderator suggested I try to contact Irishrichy, and I've actually gotten a response back from him. What was the DiNiro line about every time I think I'm out, they keep dragging me back in?

And, Stupot+, I kind of agree with Cassie. Friendships can't be time sinks.

Stupot

Aww damn. I feel pretty bad about this but it was in fact a cruel April Fools Day Prank. I was going to leave it longer to reveal the truth but you've all been so kind that it feels wrong to keep it going.

Rest assured, if I were genuinely planning to leave the community I wouldn't have worded it quite like that. AGS is the best time suck on the internet. Also, I'm proud of my shitty games and intend on making more of them. Also I can think of many folks who could do much better job hosting MAGS than me.

So, er... April Fools' :-*
Rest assured, I'm going nowhere.

Love you all x

Baron

Quote from: jwalt on Fri 01/04/2016 01:48:59
What was the DiNiro line about every time I think I'm out, they keep dragging me back in?

Pacino, I think. ;)

I'm glad you'll be sticking around Stu+, but to be frank I'll miss the old you.  You had this intoxicating devil-may-care aura that I liked to bask in, back in your 4000s.  I don't know.  Maybe we can still rekindle a little bit of that old magic.  Time will tell.  :)

Mandle

JESUS STU!!!

YOU TOTALLY GOT ME YOU JERK!!!

I was on the way out the door to track you down and berate some sense into you!!!

Next time we meet over some coffee I'm switching the sugar packs with ones full of salt!

Oh and:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That was an awesome prank...

Now you get to go and PM everyone who replied with heart-felt concern with a sincere apology...!!! Lucky you!

AnasAbdin

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 01/04/2016 01:55:02So, er... April Fools' :-*

STU WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME! MY BLOOD SUGAR WELP!

selmiak

I knew you'd stay, one way or the other... *silently puts down gun* 8-)

Yitcomics

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 01/04/2016 01:55:02
Aww damn. I feel pretty bad about this but it was in fact a cruel April Fools Day Prank. I was going to leave it longer to reveal the truth but you've all been so kind that it feels wrong to keep it going.

Rest assured, if I were genuinely planning to leave the community I wouldn't have worded it quite like that.

Woah it kinda felt genuine,I don't know how you would write it if you were really leaving but man this really hits me.

CaptainD

Haha you TOTALLY had me going there!  In my defence it was not yet 1st April in my time zone when I read it :P

Very glad you'll be sticking around though ;-D

Mandle

I called Stu up on the phone right after I posted and left the message:

"YOU DICK!"

(laugh)

Stupot

Sorry guys.

But think about it... Who still uses Bebo? :P

CaptainD

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 01/04/2016 08:31:35
Sorry guys.

But think about it... Who still uses Bebo? :P

Ah, so that was the hint?  Like the microfilm embedded into the "i" of Rimmer's swimming certificate?  Clever...

Retro Wolf

It wasn't April 1st in my country when I read your post, I probably would have still fell for it anyway!
You're an arsehole Stu! I actually felt a pang of emotion when I read your post! (laugh) Glad you're sticking around mate.

Slasher

QuoteAww damn. I feel pretty bad about this but it was in fact a cruel April Fools Day Prank. I was going to leave it longer to reveal the truth but you've all been so kind that it feels wrong to keep it going.
&*&*((())_^^^^^ (laugh)

Nice one son....

Mind you, some people are more players than developers..

No one said it was ever that easy (nod)

Game on Stupot+ ;)

CaptainD

Does this count as a "game" that Stu has developed?!?! :P:P

AGA

Pretty sure it doesn't count as an April Fools when 99% of your audience is still on 31 March...  (roll)

Cassiebsg

Ack :p

It dawned upon me while at work that today was april 1st... and you posted at 5Am in Japan, so it was technically april fools there, though not even 23:00 here... :P
I don't get my "april fools" shield up before it's actually April 1st... then it's "don't believe anything today" ;)

Good one. (laugh)(nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Adeel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 01/04/2016 01:55:02
Spoiler

Rest assured, if I were genuinely planning to leave the community I wouldn't have worded it quite like that. AGS is the best time suck on the internet. Also, I'm proud of my shitty games and intend on making more of them. Also I can think of many folks who could do much better job hosting MAGS than me.

So, er... April Fools' :-*
Rest assured, I'm going nowhere.

Love you all x
[close]

I knew it! When I read your post, I was shocked for a second or two then I realized that this was an April Fool's joke. Heck, the way you explicitly mentioned the time kinda gives away the whole thing (not to mention the fact that it was 1 AM here when you posted this). I would've busted you right then, but I refrained from doing so because I wanted you to continue with this prank (especially when people were seemingly falling for it).

Ah, too bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk